E

Ednospatient

Arcanist
Sep 2, 2021
Why are male eating disorders such a taboo in todays world? I'm a 20yo male currently recovering from a pretty severe eating disorder (I'm 6ft, I used to weigh 117 lbs but it went down to 105 before people realized something was very wrong) and I want to break the stigma around it because it isn't a subject that is talked about much. The past 1.5 years have been an incredibly rocky road because recovery is hard but I've gotten pretty far. However in the past 6 months my suicidal thoughts have skyrocketed and I've even purchased SN to do the deed.
I just wish male eating disorders were talked and treated better, since I was sick for nearly 4 years before I got help.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: cgrtt.brns, godsseepiestsoldier, girlsboysthems and 4 others
4eyebiped

4eyebiped

Mage
Dec 28, 2019
Society is still in the dark ages, on many levels. While it claims it pushes for equality, the sexes still get viewed by and placed in roles with different expectations from each. While I do not have an eating disorder, beyond not having the healthiest of diets, I appreciate your bravery in speaking up. It takes the brave few to make change and bring awareness. Everyone, regardless of their creed, sex or race, should feel comfortable with speaking up for, and seeking help with, any of their problems, small or large. No one group should get more sympathy or support than another.

Reactions: blueclover_.
Bootleg Astolfo

Bootleg Astolfo

Glorious Bean Plushie
Oct 12, 2020
I was never able to get help when i was full on anorexic because my bmi was too high to be diagnosed... I looked like a skeleton, but little numbers said fat so it doesnt matter if you could see all my ribs and i wore xsmall lol. The few other guys i know who had eating disorders of anykind only got amazing powerpoint présentations about the subject. The girls ? All got psychiatrist and therapy almost immediatly.

Reactions: blueclover_.
Vivacious_Vee

Vivacious_Vee

Jun 17, 2023
Why are male eating disorders such a taboo in todays world? I'm a 20yo male currently recovering from a pretty severe eating disorder (I'm 6ft, I used to weigh 117 lbs but it went down to 105 before people realized something was very wrong) and I want to break the stigma around it because it isn't a subject that is talked about much. The past 1.5 years have been an incredibly rocky road because recovery is hard but I've gotten pretty far. However in the past 6 months my suicidal thoughts have skyrocketed and I've even purchased SN to do the deed.
I just wish male eating disorders were talked and treated better, since I was sick for nearly 4 years before I got help.
Then you be the one that starts the first group, you get it started, it will take time, but just think how many you can help, if that is what you are looking to do! then you will have a safe space for you all to talk and learn from each other! Good luck xx