StellaSomnus

StellaSomnus

Dormies sicut stellae luceant
Aug 18, 2023
How would you make it as painless as possible for your loved ones to accept your ctb?

I have friends that care too much about me, and my parents are worried about me and has been trying to arrange a video call with me (I live abroad) but I keep turning them down and I genuinely feel bad about it. They are aware of my intentions to ctb but they aren't aware the extent of my progress towards that beyond my self harm.

I am working on writing a suicide note (more like a manifesto lol) that would be scheduled to be sent to my dad's email should I carry on with my plans to ctb, but I still want to make it painless for my loved ones as I know they don't deserve to be sad from my selfishness of wanting to pass away, so I thought the least I could do is leave them a note to accept my hopefully eventual passing.

How would you make it painless, or what would you tell your loved ones as such to convince them to not be sad from your ctb?

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: LonelyKitten, OrphicEnd, flowers in the mist and 1 other person
Old Friend

Old Friend

Sleep well, Airstrip One.
Sep 24, 2023
My girlfriend's pro-choice, theoretically. I got her onto the topic recently and she said that umprompted. I haven't disclosed that I'm suicidal though, so it remains untested. I have considered leaving her so she gets used to not seeing me everyday and living alone might make planning easier but rent in this city is awful now and whilst I like my own space and company, I'm not cut out to live by myself.

I don't see that much of my parents anyway, which is why we get along so well these days. Unfortunately, I don't think you can legislate for the grief of who you leave behind. It's arguably the toughest aspect of the whole thing.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: StellaSomnus, flowers in the mist and Praestat_Mori
flowers in the mist

flowers in the mist

dances with demons
Aug 19, 2023
I don't think it's possible, or at least extremely difficult to even make it acceptable. Assuming they are pro-life. It honestly depends what their view is on things like suicide.

Even if leaving a note I think realistically grief and mourning will overtake most things. They will probably blame themselves for not being able to "help" you or not doing enough. It's what I struggle with the most as well and why I'm still here. Obviously the more you try to make someone understand the better it will be but I don't think you can ever convince people fully or make it painless unfortunately.

• Hugs
Reactions: StellaSomnus and Praestat_Mori
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I would personally just write a note which can act as an explanation, I don't really see it as the best idea telling people in advance about planning to die, in my opinion it's a terrible idea unless one wants their plans to be interfered in. It's just risky doing such a thing even if there's a chance the people will respect the decision as after all we exist in this society where so many people are against the right to die.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: StellaSomnus
february in alaska

february in alaska

wandering aimlessly
Sep 13, 2023
I'm also struggling with a very similar thing, so I could use advice myself. But right now, I'm doing what I can.

I'm personally planning to CTB at least two weeks away from any major holiday or birthday just so it isn't potentially associated and ruined in the future for them. I'm writing really long notes to anyone significant to me, mostly telling them I love them, saying this is what I wanted and there's nothing anyone could have done to stop me, and trying to let them know I really am in a more peaceful place, that I'm at rest. I don't believe in spirits or ghosts or an afterlife but I know my parents do, so I'm going to tell them I'll be watching over them and I'll always be with them, that I'll see them again someday, that sort of thing.

Financially I can't do much, I'm leaving a note requesting I be cremated so they don't have to pay so much for a funeral. I'm going to try to leave all my money to my mother, which isn't much, but I'm also going to ask that they both go to a therapist after I'm gone, and that neither of them are left alone— especially my mom, because I know she's going to take it really hard.

Other than that, just basic courtesy kind of stuff. CTB far away from home, trying not to go in a gruesome or (relatively) horrific way, doing what I can so they won't have to identify a body, that kind of thing. At the end of the day, it's going to hurt them. I can't stop that from happening, and neither can anyone else. But losing a close family member isn't exactly uncommon in general, so I can just hope they'll be okay and find some comfort afterwards. For now I'm just trying to make good, happy memories. It hurts sometimes, knowing what I know, but I want them to know how much I loved them when I'm gone.

Anyway, sorry this turned into a whole ramble. I hope you find what you're looking for and I think it's really admirable that you're so empathetic and caring towards your family despite the situation you're in. Best of luck to you, seriously.

• Love
Reactions: StellaSomnus, Praestat_Mori, MissingYou and 1 other person
Install-Gentoo

Install-Gentoo

Aug 23, 2022
Ideally we could all hire "pre-traumatic grief counselors" who assist those close to you in accepting your death while also convincing them to not interfere with your death. I suppose this is something you could try in vain to do but it would be extremely hard and would require very careful wording.

Reactions: StellaSomnus and MissingYou
lita-lassi

lita-lassi

let me spell it out for you: go to hell
Sep 25, 2023
reassurance that it wasnt anyone elses problem but your own and there wasnt a solution you could handle accepting besides what you decide you can

Reactions: MissingYou
M

MissingYou

Sep 25, 2023
Everyone on here is right. You can't make it even relatively painless for anyone the genuinely cares about you. Loved ones will grieve heavily for you. And I know, from experience, that the pain is new each day. That being said, if you are determined to ctb, here are some things I wish I had from a recently departed brother:

1. A note. A text. A last goodbye or I love you.
2. A recording of them talking to me. Video would be preferred but audio works too. I have recordings of his voice-mail and past videos he's made but something personal would be nice.
3. Some kind of an after life plan. What they want done with ashes, songs to remember them by, a plan for their belongings, etc.
4. A heads up. I mean obviously if my brother had called and let me know I would have tried to intervene BUT the smell when cleaning out his apartment was really difficult to endure for family members. A delayed email or text so he could have been found sooner.
5. A list of important passwords and accounts. Depending on your age and if you have children or next of kin, knowing how to get access to loans, insurance policies, financial statements, can be helpful and funeral costs can be expensive.
6. A recent picture of you.
I'm also struggling with a very similar thing, so I could use advice myself. But right now, I'm doing what I can.

I'm personally planning to CTB at least two weeks away from any major holiday or birthday just so it isn't potentially associated and ruined in the future for them. I'm writing really long notes to anyone significant to me, mostly telling them I love them, saying this is what I wanted and there's nothing anyone could have done to stop me, and trying to let them know I really am in a more peaceful place, that I'm at rest. I don't believe in spirits or ghosts or an afterlife but I know my parents do, so I'm going to tell them I'll be watching over them and I'll always be with them, that I'll see them again someday, that sort of thing.

Financially I can't do much, I'm leaving a note requesting I be cremated so they don't have to pay so much for a funeral. I'm going to try to leave all my money to my mother, which isn't much, but I'm also going to ask that they both go to a therapist after I'm gone, and that neither of them are left alone— especially my mom, because I know she's going to take it really hard.

Other than that, just basic courtesy kind of stuff. CTB far away from home, trying not to go in a gruesome or (relatively) horrific way, doing what I can so they won't have to identify a body, that kind of thing. At the end of the day, it's going to hurt them. I can't stop that from happening, and neither can anyone else. But losing a close family member isn't exactly uncommon in general, so I can just hope they'll be okay and find some comfort afterwards. For now I'm just trying to make good, happy memories. It hurts sometimes, knowing what I know, but I want them to know how much I loved them when I'm gone.

Anyway, sorry this turned into a whole ramble. I hope you find what you're looking for and I think it's really admirable that you're so empathetic and caring towards your family despite the situation you're in. Best of luck to you, seriously.
I think this is all a beautiful idea. Can I recommend, if it's not too obvious, take some videos of you hugging them, talking to them, having dinner with them... it will help later for them, I promise. You can either leave them on your phone and if you can grant them access to your email after the fact, send them there. Just an almost "living" reminder of you.

I think this is all a beautiful idea. Can I recommend, if it's not too obvious, take some videos of you hugging them, talking to them, having dinner with them... it will help later for them, I promise. You can either leave them on your phone and if you can grant them access to your email after the fact, send them there. Just an almost "living" reminder of you.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Informative
Reactions: acey, StellaSomnus, LeBroom and 3 others
Lost_my_soul

Lost_my_soul

No one will help you unless it benefits them
Sep 13, 2023
Honestly, I would talk to everyone that I love and care, and also the people who stood by my side even though they got nothing from it, people who genuinely cared, coz that will be my last chance to tell them how much I love them before I rest in peace.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori