S

ScubaCTB

Student
Jan 1, 2024
You have to be at least 40 years old to remember your parents watching the TV show M*A*S*H in the 70s and 80s. It was the top-rated TV show for many years. I'd assume since everything is remade and recycled these days that young people have heard the theme song for M*A*S*H.

But that theme song is really a song called "Suicide is Painless" by Johnny Mandel. It was written by his 14-year-old kid in 1970 I believe.

The song is obviously BS because there are so few easily accessible methods of CTB that are completely painless and peaceful. I hope SCUBA/nitrogen is quick and painless for me. But I like the song and thought some of you would like it too.

Reactions: Sageiois, itchygator, Stormy Raine and 2 others
Heem wasnt there

Heem wasnt there

Missing You
Dec 8, 2023
yeah its kinda annoying that a "painless" suicide is not available to everyone. Something about the song is still compelling. I still remember when I first heard the song and it had a strange impact on me. It might be the song I go out to, thanks for sharing.

Stormy Raine

Stormy Raine

Quietly counting down the days, hours, minutes..
Apr 7, 2023
Wow, I never knew this! Why would they use this song? I've never watched the show.

Reactions: ScubaCTB
Dot

Dot

Info abt typng styl on prfle.
Sep 26, 2021
It was written by his 14-year-old kid in 1970 I believe.

fat cat GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

Slow_Farewell

Slow_Farewell

Warlock
Dec 19, 2023
I like the version of Ania Dabrowska. More of a bossa vibe of the same song.

Myforevercharlie

Myforevercharlie

Global Mod
Feb 13, 2020
I remember my mom watching, I've seen the re-runs.

Still love those old shows.

S

ScubaCTB

Student
Jan 1, 2024
Wow, I never knew this! Why would they use this song? I've never watched the show.

The TV show M*A*S*H was adapted from a movie by the same name. The movie used 'Suicide is Painless' in a scene. The M*A*S*H TV creators liked the song, but the network wouldn't let them use it unless they removed the lyrics.