• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

C

CrescendoChiller

Mar 15, 2022
(Quick disclaimer: while you're absolutely free to respond however you wish, I personally don't think I'd get much out of people talking about the morality of this method. I've read lots of threads here already with people making those arguments, but I they haven't done anything to sway me, so I'd much prefer responses to be more related to what I asked.

I'm also very doubtful that if given the opportunity to ctb via a freight train, I would actually go through with it. But I was really hoping to put myself in a situation where I could attempt it just so I could get an idea of what it'd be like and whether I could actually see myself actually doing it.)

I've got a location, I feel like it's a place that would be very unlikely to have someone discover me (especially at night), and so the only plan I had was to go out late at night, and basically just wait at the spot till a train passed, then head back home.

However, I'd rather avoid staying out all night waiting for a train that may or may not come, when I could first make sure that it's even likely for a train to come around sometime in the middle of the night. And so I was hoping I could just stay up all night at my house till I hear a train whistle (as I'm within ear shot of train whistles).

But then I was wondering, would that even be worthwhile to do? Is it possible for trains to pass at night without blowing their whistles? And so staying up all night to try and hear for trains might not be a reliable way of figuring out whether I could expect at least 1 train to pass sometime in the night?

I've been doing some research, but am having difficulty finding anything super helpful or definitive, so I figured I'd just ask and see if anyone happened to have any insights or knowledge on the likelihood of trains passing at night, or the idea that if I don't hear any whistles at night, does that really mean that no trains are passing?

(in case this is helpful context, I live in the western United States, and have observed in the past that trains CAN whistle in the middle of the night, but that was a little over a month ago so I don't know how reliable that is.
This might also be potentially misleading information, but I've been taking notes on when I hear train whistles since January to try and find a pattern (I haven't yet), but I feel like since at least the beginning of last week, there seems to be decline in whistles, as before there'd usually be at least one or two whistles in a waking day (though there could a fair amount in one day), but now it feels like it's closer to maybe one whistle every 3 or 4 waking days. Again, I don't know really how random that is, or if it that means anything with regards to the likelihood of expecting a train to pass at night, but thought I'd include it.)

Many thanks to whoever reads this and decides to reply!