Endqualia

Endqualia

Jun 6, 2019
From what I can see long drop method is not very often considered on this forum, which is strange since it would seem to be a very reliable and painless method. I think this is going to be my method of choise if i don't get a gun, so i wanted to share with you exactly how I am thinking of doing this. Please tell me what you think. I'll write it in form of a guide.

It's a method suited to people that are healthy and strong enough to climb a tree. I am of slender build and have only worked manual labor and odd jobs in my life so climbing is no issue for me.

Materials: Manila hemp rope of 1 in (25mm) thickness and 5-6 meters length, a bar of soap, a permanent marker, one thin rope (of any kind) the leghth of your mesured drop, maybe some belt to assist climbing.

Make a noose beforehand while at home. Boil and dry the rope under tension. Or only the part used for the noose, that should take the tendency to coil and springiness away. Make about 6-8 coils. Apply soap where the rope runs but do not soap the whole noose, leave the fixed half of the noose dry. You want that part as grippy as posible so it can grab (not slip) onto the skin on your neck and twist it with ease.

You should mesure your weight the day of your cbt-ing, or one or two days earlier. Use the official table of drops to find your drop height.

Find a forest and in that forest a tree like this with two strong paralel branches one directly above the other. 11832 h=your drop height that you got from the tables+some extra cm

Climb the tree with your rope, marker and mesure on you. You should be able to reach the branch above your head. Hang your mesuring rope from the lower branch to see if you have the height. If you do, put the noose around your neck and swing the remaining rope opver the top branch. Have the noose around your neck loosely and in such a way that the rope travels in a straight line, in the shortest posible distance, to the 11833
point on the upper branch directly above your head. Not like in the illustration so much to the side. Mark the rope at the point where it almost meets the branch. So just below the branch. Pull the rope off the branch so it hangs down now.
Take your mesured rope and line one end with the mark. Grab both ropes with your right hand (1) so that they dont move relative to one another
and with your left hand (2) grab both ropes tightly and pull them upwards so they slide in your right hand but do not move in relation to eachother.

Once you reach the end make a second mark. Throw the rope around the upper branch again just enough so you can tie a bowline knot in such a way that your second mark (blue) is just barley below the branch.
Position the noose directly under your chin in such a way that the fixed side of the noose (the side not running) is to your RIGHT. Rest of the rope should be on your LEFT. Sides are arbitrary here but should always be opposite. It best goes under the chin for maximum rotation. And when the sides of the fixed side of the noose and rope are opposite you get best closing of the noose and twisting of the neck. Try it out yourself to get an idea.

Make sure you are directly under the upper knot and just take a small step to barley go past the branch you are standing on, you want your jump vertical.

What i like about this method is that once you make that jump you are gone for good. I live near a forest so there are plenty of suitable trees and i dont mind taking one last hike through the woods in search of the perfect tree. I have not yet decided actualy on the forest, maybe i should go somewhere where i wont be found soon, i don't know. Tell me what you think and suggestions you have.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cherry_BB, sayire, Superfluous and 1 other person
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
I can't assess the information but your pictures are charming! And it's very good of you to offer detailed instructions.

I'm terrible at knots and at climbing trees, so I was lost while standing on the branch but I hope someone will come by soon to help. 8]

Reactions: jake3d, Endqualia and Circles
Endqualia

Endqualia

Jun 6, 2019
I can't assess the information but your pictures are charming! And it's very good of you to offer detailed instructions.

I'm terrible at knots and at climbing trees, so I was lost while standing on the branch but I hope someone will come by soon to help. 8]
Yeah I was afraid it might be a little convoluted, but buy its really only because I suck at explaining. It works the exact same way as if it were the gallows with the botom branch being the platform and upper the beam.

Reactions: Soul and Circles
Superfluous

Superfluous

Mar 16, 2019
Excellent description of the method. Detailed and well-illustrated.

Could you provide a link to the drop height tables?

One thought - would it maybe be better if the branches were slightly misaligned (by about the same distance as the step you would take)? Probably wouldn't make a huge difference if any, but on the off chance that death is not instant (which I believe does happen on rare occasions), then you would reduce the risk of the rope rubbing against the lower branch when struggling. Your drop would also be directly vertical, rather than slightly off vertical.

Reactions: Endqualia, Soul and Circles
Endqualia

Endqualia

Jun 6, 2019
Excellent description of the method. Detailed and well-illustrated.

Could you provide a link to the drop height tables?

One thought - would it maybe be better if the branches were slightly misaligned (by about the same distance as the step you would take)? Probably wouldn't make a huge difference if any, but on the off chance that death is not instant (which I believe does happen on rare occasions), then you would reduce the risk of the rope rubbing against the lower branch when struggling. Your drop would also be directly vertical, rather than slightly off vertical.
Thanks. I wasn't sure how clear it will be since these things are hard to put in writing, but in video it would be really simple.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_Table_of_Drops

Good idea, all you would need is slight misalignment as you said. Just walk through the forest until you find your tree, seems like a good way to spend my last moments.

Reactions: Superfluous
W

Why Me?

Experienced
Apr 5, 2022
From what I can see long drop method is not very often considered on this forum, which is strange since it would seem to be a very reliable and painless method. I think this is going to be my method of choise if i don't get a gun, so i wanted to share with you exactly how I am thinking of doing this. Please tell me what you think. I'll write it in form of a guide.

It's a method suited to people that are healthy and strong enough to climb a tree. I am of slender build and have only worked manual labor and odd jobs in my life so climbing is no issue for me.

Materials: Manila hemp rope of 1 in (25mm) thickness and 5-6 meters length, a bar of soap, a permanent marker, one thin rope (of any kind) the leghth of your mesured drop, maybe some belt to assist climbing.

Make a noose beforehand while at home. Boil and dry the rope under tension. Or only the part used for the noose, that should take the tendency to coil and springiness away. Make about 6-8 coils. Apply soap where the rope runs but do not soap the whole noose, leave the fixed half of the noose dry. You want that part as grippy as posible so it can grab (not slip) onto the skin on your neck and twist it with ease.

You should mesure your weight the day of your cbt-ing, or one or two days earlier. Use the official table of drops to find your drop height.

Find a forest and in that forest a tree like this with two strong paralel branches one directly above the other.View attachment 11832h=your drop height that you got from the tables+some extra cm

Climb the tree with your rope, marker and mesure on you. You should be able to reach the branch above your head. Hang your mesuring rope from the lower branch to see if you have the height. If you do, put the noose around your neck and swing the remaining rope opver the top branch. Have the noose around your neck loosely and in such a way that the rope travels in a straight line, in the shortest posible distance, to the View attachment 11833
point on the upper branch directly above your head. Not like in the illustration so much to the side. Mark the rope at the point where it almost meets the branch. So just below the branch. Pull the rope off the branch so it hangs down now.
View attachment 11834
Take your mesured rope and line one end with the mark. Grab both ropes with your right hand (1) so that they dont move relative to one another
and with your left hand (2) grab both ropes tightly and pull them upwards so they slide in your right hand but do not move in relation to eachother.

View attachment 11835

Once you reach the end make a second mark. Throw the rope around the upper branch again just enough so you can tie a bowline knot in such a way that your second mark (blue) is just barley below the branch.
View attachment 11836
Position the noose directly under your chin in such a way that the fixed side of the noose (the side not running) is to your RIGHT. Rest of the rope should be on your LEFT. Sides are arbitrary here but should always be opposite. It best goes under the chin for maximum rotation. And when the sides of the fixed side of the noose and rope are opposite you get best closing of the noose and twisting of the neck. Try it out yourself to get an idea.

Make sure you are directly under the upper knot and just take a small step to barley go past the branch you are standing on, you want your jump vertical.

What i like about this method is that once you make that jump you are gone for good. I live near a forest so there are plenty of suitable trees and i dont mind taking one last hike through the woods in search of the perfect tree. I have not yet decided actualy on the forest, maybe i should go somewhere where i wont be found soon, i don't know. Tell me what you think and suggestions you have.

Edit: spelling
What kind of bar soap, what brand?