BornToFail

BornToFail

Experienced
Sep 9, 2022
Are they a meme? I'm in one, 4 hours away.

ArchmagePrincess

ArchmagePrincess

Magical Princess of Death
Aug 31, 2022
They take a lot of work to keep feeling connected, but I've had what I'd call successful relationships that started long distance. They're not for everyone but depending on the right situation/people it's not just a meme.

Reactions: VirtualSnow and Life_and_Death
BornToFail

BornToFail

Experienced
Sep 9, 2022
They take a lot of work to keep feeling connected, but I've had what I'd call successful relationships that started long distance. They're not for everyone but depending on the right situation/people it's not just a meme.
Thank you, I just get so worried and insecure when people say they are. I lose hope.

Zegers

Zegers

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
It doesnt work, even irl relations are a fucking mess...

Reactions: Hollowman
BornToFail

BornToFail

Experienced
Sep 9, 2022
It doesnt work, even irl relations are a fucking mess...
It is all I could ever get. I mean, we love each other. I can't mange to talk to girls irl even if I wanted to.

ArchmagePrincess

ArchmagePrincess

Magical Princess of Death
Aug 31, 2022
Thank you, I just get so worried and insecure when people say they are. I lose hope.
I totally relate, especially from older folk in my experience but lots of people tbh, just don't see long distance as "real." But the truth is now a days cause of the internet and video calls and gaming you really can get to know someone pretty well. I think it's pretty silly to gatekeep love like that.

• Hugs
Reactions: BornToFail
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
its not really long distance because he literally lives/works down the street and we went to high school together, but we havent seen each other in ~7 years either. like @ArchmagePrincess princess said, they take a bit of work. but theres things you can do to help. rn we're playing yahtzee https://cardgames.io/
time together and communication seem to be the answer

Reactions: VirtualSnow
Zegers

Zegers

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
But its a friendship or relationship? i think a friendship could work.

Zegers

Zegers

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
In that case i see it as more complicated but if you are 4 hours away, maybe.

Good luck

• Hugs
Reactions: BornToFail
avoid_slow_death

avoid_slow_death

Ready to embrace the peaceful bliss of the void.
Feb 4, 2020
Older person here and I can attest they work. But as @ArchmagePrincess said, they do take a lot to maintain. But they definitely can work very well if it's the right person.

Reactions: BornToFail and VirtualSnow
hamvil

hamvil

Wizard
Aug 29, 2022
Are they a meme? I'm in one, 4 hours away.
I was in a long distance relationship for several years (5/6 i think). We met during the major holidays and that's it. She would visit also from time to time. We were approx 12 hours away by car. Later that person become my wife, it was good for a few more year, then.... well it became not so good, nothing is eternal not even love.

Lily (Osako)

Lily (Osako)

Everything all at once
Jul 30, 2022
They can be absolutely wonderful. You tend to appreciate time and closeness more. Being apart can bring you closer to one another than if you were to see each other every day.
But if one stops putting in the effort or becomes lazy and neglects to stay in touch during the apart times, it will fail miserably.

western_heart

western_heart

trying to save ourself
May 23, 2021
I was in a long distance relationship for a year (8 hours apart) and we moved in together after a year. It worked for us at the time because it wasn't sexually exclusive & I had the freedom (car & plenty of credit cards & no job) to be able to visit whenever I wanted.

We have been together over four years now

Reactions: Fowli