WhatDoesTheFoxSay?

WhatDoesTheFoxSay?

Hold your head high, and your middle finger higher
Dec 25, 2020
I'm not blaming anyone. I feel like an asshole for saying this, but I'm already struggling myself and have more than enough on my plate.

My sister, who has a history of breakdowns (https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/call-me-selfish.109510/), is currently going through another (possibly psychotic) episode. It started two days ago when she broke into a crying spell at her friend's place. We all slept in the same room that day, and throughout the night she was restless. She was delusional, and we were all kept awake by her incoherent ramblings. My mother and brother took turns to reassure her to try to ease her distress, and to tend to her needs. I was trying so hard to fall asleep that at one point, I couldn't take it anymore and lashed out, which upset her. As advised by Mental Health Services, we took her to a GP the next day, after which she seemed to improve. Today however, she started to act strangely again.

It's been such a long time since I've felt so stressed out. My blood pressure levels were elevated and I had a headache that didn't go away even after a night's rest.

I'm no expert, but I've no doubt that my sister could have an underlying mental illness, and could benefit from psychiatric treatment. However, every time I brought up the subject of therapy—be it for myself or someone else—my suggestions were either brushed aside or met with vehement opposition. This time is no exception. As a staunch adherent of "what happens at home stays at home", and an advocate for self-reliance, my mother absolutely abhors the idea of seeking outside help. Being religious, she also believes in praying to, and relying upon the providence of God. If that's the way she thinks, so be it. While I respect her beliefs, I do think that this kind of cultic thinking will get us nowhere.

I'm done. I'm tired of all this drama.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Stormy Raine, Ringo and Pluto
sheepgirl

sheepgirl

Student
Aug 11, 2018
I'm sorry :( I don't have a mentally I'll family member (well depression/anxiety but they manage it wel enough usually) but I am mentally I'll and my family have been through hell whilst I've been unwell in the past, hospital admissions, suicide attempts which often involve running away, breakdowns etc. I don't know how they still love me

Actovania

Actovania

the same
Mar 30, 2023
Fuck dude, despite all this it's very noble of you to actually try to get help for yourself and others. Not soon but maybe one day your mother will notice that her god isn't doing shit.

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?
WhatDoesTheFoxSay?

WhatDoesTheFoxSay?

Hold your head high, and your middle finger higher
Dec 25, 2020
Fuck dude, despite all this it's very noble of you to actually try to get help for yourself and others. Not soon but maybe one day your mother will notice that her god isn't doing shit.
Thank you for your support. The fact that you're faced with such a formidable hurdle when you have but made mere suggestions is discouraging, to say the least.

Stormy Raine

Stormy Raine

Quietly counting down the days, hours, minutes..
Apr 7, 2023
I'm not blaming anyone. I feel like an asshole for saying this, but I'm already struggling myself and have more than enough on my plate.

My sister, who has a history of breakdowns (https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/call-me-selfish.109510/), is currently going through another (possibly psychotic) episode. It started two days ago when she broke into a crying spell at her friend's place. We all slept in the same room that day, and throughout the night she was restless. She was delusional, and we were all kept awake by her incoherent ramblings. My mother and brother took turns to reassure her to try to ease her distress, and to tend to her needs. I was trying so hard to fall asleep that at one point, I couldn't take it anymore and lashed out, which upset her. As advised by Mental Health Services, we took her to a GP the next day, after which she seemed to improve. Today however, she started to act strangely again.

It's been such a long time since I've felt so stressed out. My blood pressure levels were elevated and I had a headache that didn't go away even after a night's rest.

I'm no expert, but I've no doubt that my sister could have an underlying mental illness, and could benefit from psychiatric treatment. However, every time I brought up the subject of therapy—be it for myself or someone else—my suggestions were either brushed aside or met with vehement opposition. This time is no exception. As a staunch adherent of "what happens at home stays at home", and an advocate for self-reliance, my mother absolutely abhors the idea of seeking outside help. Being religious, she also believes in praying to, and relying upon the providence of God. If that's the way she thinks, so be it. While I respect her beliefs, I do think that this kind of cultic thinking will get us nowhere.

I'm done. I'm tired of all this drama.
I'm sorry you feel like this, I can understand how frustrating this can be to watch from the outside. I see myself just like your sister but I cut off all my family and friends so they wouldn't have to feel how you do. I'm very lonely and cry a lot and I miss them. I know I'll never get better so I don't seek treatments and help, I've exhausted them all. If you don't take anything away from what I say I want you to know this, none of us asked for anything of these disorders and it's terribly exhausting and frustrating to live through this and try to have a functional and happy life! It's very hard for us. I wish your sister the best and hope she gets the help she needs, also I suggest taking a break from your sister, this maybe a lifelong situation and you can't change her, only how you interact with her.

S

Scythe

Lost in a delusion
Sep 5, 2022
Damn, that's a stuck up mom, I feel bad for you and your sister. If she's of legal age maybe you can try to sign her up for therapy/ psychitrist appointment anyways since she's an adult and your mother technically can't do anything about it. Hope everything improves soon!