medjooled11

medjooled11

Define or be defined.
Aug 13, 2021
What use is knowledge if we can't use it effectively?

N

netrezven

Mage
Dec 13, 2018
Information always has been real value during ages, even 2000 years ago. Now the only difference is time. Real, valuable information is still hard to find and has value. Tags, hashtags, stories, pictures and funny videos, do have value, but not for those wasting time on them. Again propaganda is nothing new, just the time and technology is different, it's being used the same way as always. And all in between is to distract by filling the gaps with some fun, scandal, an unrelated happy story for a pinguin eating bananas after the tragic one. The public never gets valueable information, only junk. It's just that the public can't understand that and call it information.

Reactions: medjooled11
medjooled11

medjooled11

Define or be defined.
Aug 13, 2021
Information always has been real value during ages, even 2000 years ago. Now the only difference is time. Real, valuable information is still hard to find and has value. Tags, hashtags, stories, pictures and funny videos, do have value, but not for those wasting time on them. Again propaganda is nothing new, just the time and technology is different, it's being used the same way as always. And all in between is to distract by filling the gaps with some fun, scandal, an unrelated happy story for a pinguin eating bananas after the tragic one. The public never gets valueable information, only junk. It's just that the public can't understand that and call it information.
Thanks for sharing. I totally agree. People should focus on what's important. I never understood how someone could feed into the distractions day after day.

We could be living such great lives using recent advances in economics/finance, psychology, urban planning, automation etc.

Is time what stands in the way of implementation?

blueclover_.

blueclover_.

Better Never to Have Been: 2006, David Benatar
Oct 11, 2021
This reminds me of the Cognitive Functions Theory by Carl Jung. To some people with Intoverted Thinking (Ti), learning informations is rewarding in itself even if it doesn't lead them to any goal. To some people with Extroverted Thinking (Te), learning is only done to achieve a goal, your reward arrives when you've accomplished your task.

I am an ENTP, so i do use Ti and learning informations makes me happy even if they serve no purpose. It seems like you use Te, therefore you are focused with your goal/s and not so much to the learning process behind it. I admire ambitious people like Te users, always working towards their goals.

• Love
steviewonder

steviewonder

Sexually Challenged
Nov 9, 2020
What use is knowledge if we can't use it effectively?
I think the free access to information hasn't made us more useful because everyone else has access to it. Our productivity hasn't increased relative to others.

medjooled11

medjooled11

Define or be defined.
Aug 13, 2021
This reminds me of the Cognitive Functions Theory by Carl Jung. To some people with Intoverted Thinking (Ti), learning informations is rewarding in itself even if it doesn't lead them to any goal. To some people with Extroverted Thinking (Te), learning is only done to achieve a goal, your reward arrives when you've accomplished your task.

I am an ENTP, so i do use Ti and learning informations makes me happy even if they serve no purpose. It seems like you use Te, therefore you are focused with your goal/s and not so much to the learning process behind it. I admire ambitious people like Te users, always working towards their goals.
Interesting. I am a fan of Carl Jung's work. I am INFJ, although when I asked the question I was being very general. I was mainly thinking of my frustrations with society when I posted.

blueclover_.

blueclover_.

Better Never to Have Been: 2006, David Benatar
Oct 11, 2021
Interesting. I am a fan of Carl Jung's work. I am INFJ, although when I asked the question I was being very general. I was mainly thinking of my frustrations with society when I posted.
Glad to meet fellow MBTI enthusiasts. Did you get your type by the popular test on Google? Or did you type yourself by analyzing the Cognitive Functions and determine which ones that you use on a daily basis? Because frankly, your previous comments sounded very Te to me. Of course I could be mistaken, always take everything on the internet with a grain of salt. It would be nice to have a discussion about this topic with another SS member.

Snake of Eden

Snake of Eden

“Ye shall be as gods..🍎 🐍”
Jun 22, 2021
Even if cultivating knowledge about certain subjects may seem pointless at this point but it could evolve to a useful form in future. For example how alchemy evolved into chemistry, occult science into psychology and astrology into astronomy etc

Reactions: blueclover_.
D&D

D&D

Write something, even if it’s just a suicide note.
Dec 3, 2021
There are only two 'things' in the world that multiply by division - knowledge and love. The more you give them away, the more they become. And no, it is not 'yet another empty platitude' - both of those 'things' necessitate others to become fruitful and will wither and die if kept in isolation. Information or knowledge becomes meaningful when exchanged, shared, evaluated, critiqued ... used. In a small way it is exactly what we are all doing on here - exchanging information, knowledge, views, emotions, opinions. And feeling, however fleetingly, better while doing so.

• Informative
Reactions: Callie Arcale
N

netrezven

Mage
Dec 13, 2018
Thanks for sharing. I totally agree. People should focus on what's important. I never understood how someone could feed into the distractions day after day.

We could be living such great lives using recent advances in economics/finance, psychology, urban planning, automation etc.

Is time what stands in the way of implementation?
No, it's just that information travels faster now. And this changes the scale in all directions, but not in value :)