Lost in a Dream

Lost in a Dream

He/him - Metal head
Feb 22, 2020
This is a beautiful video by Darkmatter2525 that I'm currently watching. The religious garbage he's criticizing was drilled into my head throughout my whole childhood and I'm not the only one on ss either I'm sure.

Reactions: voyager
Cage

Cage

Unwitting Baas
Sep 18, 2023
I used to be a bit of an angry atheist myself, but then I began to recognize why people believe in God and religions, because it gives them comfort and discipline amidst a world of endless evil and chaos.

Plus religious people in general are far less degenerate, more hardworking and more orderly than nonreligious people.

But of course there's really horrible ways to force religion down the throats of children and other vulnerable groups so I'm sorry if that happened to you. But there are also many religious people who would agree that whatever abuse you faced was horribly wrong and against God's word, so you aren't alone at all on either side :)

voyager

voyager

Don't you dare go hollow...
Nov 25, 2019
It's a good video, Lost. Was just saying earlier today that organised religion's only purpose is to control people in this world and not guide them to the next, providing there even is such a plane. It's a very human interpretation to make other people amenable to their authority, and I doubt a real God would want to see such cruelty towards one another or cast down neverending sentences for the slightest offences, and if he did, he's not worthy of praise and failing miserably. This goes for hell and heaven too. What's the point of suffering and punishment if one ultimately can never redeem oneself? Damnation for all eternity seems without reason.

Religion seems to be running out of steam though, and a lot of people now ridicule these ancient beliefs and how gullible people supposedly were in the past, while they themselves buy into supposedly fresh, and yet the same, apocalyptic scenarios, again pushed down from the top. I'm not going to say which ones, since I've no intention of starting a debate here and have pledged forever to avoid politics on this board (šŸ™), but let's just say the hypocrisy is just the same as it was with the clergy of old.

• Hugs
Reactions: Lost in a Dream
Lost in a Dream

Lost in a Dream

He/him - Metal head
Feb 22, 2020
@Cage I'm not actually an atheist, but I am an angry person, so I'm glad you found a way to get out of that mindset. It's hard, but better for you if you can manage it.

I'm convinced I have a right to be angry about the religious indoctrination I experienced as a kid. It was all Biblical too, the abusive threats of eternal torture. A religion that needs fear to spread is disgusting to me. Maybe you found hope in Christianity but not me.

Religious people are less degenerate? Seriously? The Catholic Church is evidence against that. Also, how many atheists do you know personally? Maybe you've only met dysfunctional ones but you seem to be assuming it's the norm. Why do you think this?

My problem with Christianity wasn't just about how it was taught. I've read enough of the Bible to know that if it's really "God's word" then I'm gonna have to agree with the Cathars. Any god that would allow a world like ours to exist and demand love and respect while threatening us with torture is nothing but a sadistic demiurge.

I don't mean any disrespect towards you, but I've had years to think about this. You can't convince me a benevolent god cursed a whole planet with generations of extreme suffering and torture just because naked people in a garden ate a fruit.