F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Years ago, I saw an Art exhibition with this title. Later, it reminded me of the 2000 film: 'Dancer in the Dark.' Spoiler alert here... It's such an upsetting film. The star in it (Bjork) is blind and works in a dull factory job but inside her mind, she turns her life into a musical. That's not the sad bit... That comes later!

To a much lesser extent, I can relate to this. I wonder how many others can. I can get obsessive about films or shows... or people unfortunately (limerance.) I'm currently re-obsessed with 'The Phantom of the Opera'. Lol.

I think people do become obsessive about stuff. Like hardcore Star Trek fans and Comic cons. I think it's one way of dealing with life. Do you suppose all people who become obsessive about stuff are unhappy? Does it actually help you- if you do it? Is it enough to distract you from the daily grind?

I guess it does help me to an extent. My current fixation is nice because 'Phantom' was the first big show I saw. My Godparents took me to see it and I have so many happy memories with them. So, it's kind of nice on that level too.

Still- it won't last forever and ultimately- it's all fantasy. So, I don't know how helpful it really is. But anyway- any other obsessive people out there? Care to share your fixations and if they help? Why they mean so much to you? Did you develop them as a coping mechanism do you think?

• Hugs
Reactions: Pluto, tiger b, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
just_a_guy

just_a_guy

thispersondoesnotexist
Oct 27, 2023
I actually watched a yt video a few weeks ago where there were points that this psychologist (struggled with depression most of his life and still does) talks about. His last point was about not getting absorbed into fantasy worlds

• Informative
Reactions: Forever Sleep
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I actually watched a yt video a few weeks ago where there were points that this psychologist (struggled with depression most of his life and still does) talks about. His last point was about not getting absorbed into fantasy worlds

That's interesting. God- my life would be unbearable without them though! Maybe there's a happy medium. Imagine life without any distraction... No films, no books, no music, no Art. I guess he means to not entirely lose ourself in them. I guess that's fair enough. The crash back to reality is nasty.

Reactions: tiger b and just_a_guy
just_a_guy

just_a_guy

thispersondoesnotexist
Oct 27, 2023
That's interesting. God- my life would be unbearable without them though! Maybe there's a happy medium. Imagine life without any distraction... No films, no books, no music, no Art. I guess he means to not entirely lose ourself in them. I guess that's fair enough. The crash back to reality is nasty.
yea, he says it's okay to indulge in those things but he points out why it's not good for you to constantly get lost in them. Here's the video:

• Informative
Reactions: tiger b and Forever Sleep
tiger b

tiger b

AI without the I
Oct 24, 2023
Interesting video, which would be of help to some.

I think the final point (about the fantasy world) is least well made, but it's something to think about.

Reactions: Forever Sleep