F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Do you ever think about this phrase? It's simultaneously really good advice to my mind yet, also utterly impractical- except for people who intend to suicide...

Firstly, it assumes there are still things you like doing in life so- this isn't going to apply to those suffering with anhedonia.

But also- unless you utterly love your job, love housework, love all the crap we have to endure just to survive- we simply can't live every day like it's our last.

You're not going to bother paying your gas bill, cleaning the toilet, exercising, keeping up with a diet if you know you only have a few hours left (most probably.) So- we simply can't live every day hedonistically like it was our last.

Maybe they mean try and appreciate being alive- even the shitty stuff, while you still are. That's preference though- surely? Nothing much makes me enjoy cleaning or filing my tax return!

I've always felt sorry for people who die shortly after retiring. Like- they worked hard all their lives. Paid into the system. Literally worked themselves into an early grave and didn't get the chance to reap any reward. Someone I knew said they were going to try and stay alive as long as they could to get recompensed for all the tax they paid in. Lol!

Of course, the exception is suicide or, knowing our death date. We potentially could live our last days/weeks/months as if they were our last- given enough in the way of health, finance and desire to do stuff. Do you think you will spend your last moments here hedonistically? Any exciting plans?

I don't really. I have a few places I'd like to visit/revisit but I have a feeling my death will be just as dull and full of paperwork as my life! 🙄 I do want to get my affairs in order before I go, including the dreaded tax return.

• Love
Reactions: NoPoint2Life, Jealous Blackheart, geogaddi_676 and 2 others
Mirrory Me

Mirrory Me

"Life's a mirror, but 'whose' mirror?"
Mar 23, 2023
It's good advice, when you know you will be dead, let's say in several years.

• Hugs
Reactions: Jarni and Forever Sleep
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
Life is fleeting, and when it's over, that's it—no second chances, no do-overs. Every moment brings us closer to the end, and once it's done, it's final

Reactions: divinemistress36 and Forever Sleep
geogaddi_676

geogaddi_676

Jul 12, 2023
I agree, you can't make yourself like something, like a particular piece of music for example, you either do, or you don't. I am reminded of the Schopenhauer quote:
"Man can do what he wills but he cannot will what he wills". You could argue this holds for life in general, and what it has to offer.
The saying you mention makes sense if you're young with no responsibilities, however like you said, you still have to go to school and keep up appearances, otherwise you'll only create more problems for yourself down the line. Or you're rich and can afford to live the lifestyle you want, without the same financial consequences, but you still might suffer from anhedonia or boredom, because as we know the hedonic treadmill is not a satisfying place to be, if you're always chasing the next thing, and you still have to do all the things necessary for survival and deal with annoying people etc. You need a good social network, good physical and mental health, an idea of what will make you happy etc to really enjoy life and these things take a lot of time, luck and dedication, definitely not guaranteed, even with lots of money and time. I always think if I knew I had a year left to live I would travel around the world and see things, but the reality is I have to take myself where ever I go, all the mental health and general health issues and baggage that comes with me, and i'd probably still feel pangs of loneliness and meaninglessness due to my issues with connecting with people and knowing what I know about the world. People should aim for homeostasis and balance, rather than happiness and living "each day like its there last", as life will disappoint you if you have high expectations, as hedonism is not all its cracked up to be (for someone like me anyway).sorry for rambling,few drinks today.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Forever Sleep
Gone soon

Gone soon

Guy who likes wearing womens' clothes
Jun 11, 2024
I do, because it is my last

• Hugs
Reactions: Lostandlooking and Forever Sleep
Jealous Blackheart

Jealous Blackheart

A Well Read Demon
Aug 25, 2023
The argument you present makes a lot of sense. Hedonism is the way that most people interpret that and for good reason. If you live a life of toil and sacrifice who can fault you for wanting to spend the time you have left in leisure or recreation? But the thing about the initial quote is that it's innately subjective.

There is an interpretation of this that may have better wording. Instead of live like it's your last day, it's live the way you'd like to die.

If you would like to die surrounded by family and loved ones, you need to live a life where you prioritize family and loved ones.
If you would like to die a heroic death, you should live a life of heroic deeds.

They're the same idea in different words: Could you accept the way you've been living if death knocked today?
Where one of them biases you towards self destruction because it suggests your death today is certain, the other asks you to structure you life so you'd be ready today if it came. One is a black friday sale, everything must go, the other is a compass pointing north.

• Love
Reactions: Lostandlooking and Forever Sleep
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
The argument you present makes a lot of sense. Hedonism is the way that most people interpret that and for good reason. If you live a life of toil and sacrifice who can fault you for wanting to spend the time you have left in leisure or recreation? But the thing about the initial quote is that it's innately subjective.

There is an interpretation of this that may have better wording. Instead of live like it's your last day, it's live the way you'd like to die.

If you would like to die surrounded by family and loved ones, you need to live a life where you prioritize family and loved ones.
If you would like to die a heroic death, you should live a life of heroic deeds.

They're the same idea in different words: Could you accept the way you've been living if death knocked today?
Where one of them biases you towards self destruction because it suggests your death today is certain, the other asks you to structure you life so you'd be ready today if it came. One is a black friday sale, everything must go, the other is a compass pointing north.

This is massively wise and I think you're right. Quite often, we probably aren't happy because we're not living the way we want to live- we aren't satisfying the needs that are important to us.

Of course, actually doing that can be kind of complicated. Someone who wants to spend quality time with their family may not be able to if they can't afford the mortgage and need to work 3 jobs. Someone who loves sport may not be able to do it if they are disabled.

Still- I very much like your interpretation of the phrase and, it's a good way to live- if you can. As in- work out what's important to you and try and do as much of it as you can till you die.

Reactions: Jealous Blackheart
Jealous Blackheart

Jealous Blackheart

A Well Read Demon
Aug 25, 2023
This is massively wise and I think you're right. Quite often, we probably aren't happy because we're not living the way we want to live- we aren't satisfying the needs that are important to us.

Of course, actually doing that can be kind of complicated. Someone who wants to spend quality time with their family may not be able to if they can't afford the mortgage and need to work 3 jobs. Someone who loves sport may not be able to do it if they are disabled.

Still- I very much like your interpretation of the phrase and, it's a good way to live- if you can. As in- work out what's important to you and try and do as much of it as you can till you die.
A compass is not a teleportation device. It can only point. Getting there is another matter entirely. That's the trick and the tragedy of it all.

After you figure out where to go, will you get there? Is it even worth trying? How many mountains and chasms and seas are in your way?
Nothing is promised. The best we can do is try and see how close we can get. Fate and circumstance decides the rest.

Whether or not the journey is worth it is for each of us to decide. I decided it wasn't. I just wanted to die in peace. But here I am since peaceful pills are illegal.
So while I'm still here I may as well try.

And my affairs are always settled. I have no unsaid words. I have no debts to pay. No apologies to make. No anger to vent. And if I did, I would. Today.
So I could accept today if it was my last.

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
  • Love
  • Yay!
Reactions: LifeQuitter, Forever Sleep, divinemistress36 and 1 other person
C

chester

Student
Aug 1, 2024
I think the main message of this statement is don't wait with the things you'd like to do, because you might not get to do them if you wait. I learned it the hard way, me and my fiancee thought we had time to get married, as it turned out we didn't, she died so quickly. I'm going to regret waiting for it for the rest of my life.

• Love