Lux

Lux

Sep 17, 2020
Does anyone here use Linux (linux in general, any distribution) or BSD (freeBSD etc)?

Personally, I've used many Linux distributions, but my favourites are:
Debian, vanilla, it just works
&
gentoo, I love the diy style

Haven't used any BSD stuff yet, but I'd like to try it some day before.. u know.

So yeah I'd like to hear your opinions and experiences on/with Linux and BSD!

Reactions: artificial_ineptness and Matthias_k
chewgu

chewgu

Oct 17, 2020
I used Linux a lot in the past, but because of school I decided to use windows again.

My favorite Distro is Arch Linux with xfce. I would also love to try gentoo sometime, but the long compiling time scares me off.

Reactions: Lux
Lux

Lux

Sep 17, 2020
I used Linux a lot in the past, but because of school I decided to use windows again.

My favorite Distro is Arch Linux with xfce. I would also love to try gentoo sometime, but the long compiling time scares me off.

I used Arch for a bit but the community is so cancerous that I couldn't take it anymore.

The compile times in gentoo aren't that bad if you do some optimizations and have a decent cpu.

Reactions: chewgu
chewgu

chewgu

Oct 17, 2020
I used Arch for a bit but the community is so cancerous that I couldn't take it anymore.

The compile times in gentoo aren't that bad if you do some optimizations and have a decent cpu.

I had nothing to do with the Arch community, so I didn't know. I do not often join communities because the people somehow frighten me (even if its online).

The problem is that I don't have the strongest laptop and therefor not the best cpu. Maybe I consider buying a good laptop once in my life. But the challenge of installing gentoo interests me. Its harder than the Arch install, so it interests me if I can build a good setup (that doesn't brake after a short time :)) ).

Reactions: Matthias_k and Lux
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I use Linux Mint on my ancient laptop and keep it on a usb key too. I get along with Mint better than Ubuntu.
I continue to use Windoze for certain software and for games, otherwise I'd stick with Linux. It works far better, has more control, is safer and way easier to update and reinstall.
I do wonder if Microsoft may start moving secretly to actually developing Linux instead of Windows. :O Sounds crazy, i know, but stranger things have happened.

Reactions: Matthias_k, chewgu and Lux
Lux

Lux

Sep 17, 2020
I use Linux Mint on my ancient laptop and keep it on a usb key too. I get along with Mint better than Ubuntu.
I continue to use Windoze for certain software and for games, otherwise I'd stick with Linux. It works far better, has more control, is safer and way easier to update and reinstall.
I do wonder if Microsoft may start moving secretly to actually developing Linux instead of Windows. :O Sounds crazy, i know, but stranger things have happened.

Microsoft have put a lot of effort in to the "Windows Subsystem for Linux" (WSL) and they've supported some open-source projects recently.

I hope they'll start open-sourcing more parts of Windows 10 in the future as well.

Not sure but I think they said something about not making any new Windows versions and just sticking with 10 till the end, but that doesn't sound like a good plan tbh. Wouldn't mind if they at least tried to make a Linux distro. They have so much manpower that it would most likely be quite good. Only if it's fully open-source at least, I can't stand closed-source stuff.

Reactions: chewgu and Deleted member 1465
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I think the cards are on the table for Microsoft. Win 10 is indeed meant to be the final version, but their updates to it have been shit and I find the OS quite annoying myself. I think they will develop a Linux based distro, but I expect it will be closed source. And shit LOL. Shame.

Reactions: chewgu and Lux
M

Matthias_k

Apr 18, 2020
Lubuntu here. I've tried many distros but always come back to Lubuntu. I like simple. I tried Mint once but it reminded me too much of the devil :)

Reactions: Deleted member 1465, chewgu and Lux
waived

waived

I am a sunrise
Jan 5, 2019
Linux is the best dungeon crawler ever made, path of exile is second. I think ElementaryOS and to a certain point Mint Cinnamon were the prettiest experiences I've had but prefer it dark and headless. I'm also fond of chromebooks with linux cli in browser tab.

Last edited:
waived

waived

I am a sunrise
Jan 5, 2019
I know most of the threads on this forum tend to be temporary but it would be neat to have a tech thread to see what people are working on & project ideas.

Reactions: Deleted member 1465 and Lux
goodbyebunny

goodbyebunny

</3
Oct 19, 2020
Because of my class, I'm using Windows Linux Subsystem. (Learning C)

Lux

Lux

Sep 17, 2020
Because of my class, I'm using Windows Linux Subsystem. (Learning C)

I like C. It can be used for everything, although it might not be the best option for everything.

What do you use WSL for? Other than compiling ofcourse haha

waived

waived

I am a sunrise
Jan 5, 2019
So what's y'alls favorite thing to do that takes you away from the world for hours/days?

Lux

Lux

Sep 17, 2020
Linux is the best dungeon crawler ever made, path of exile is second. I think ElementaryOS and to a certain point Mint Cinnamon were the prettiest experiences I've had but prefer it dark and headless. I'm also fond of chromebooks with linux cli in browser tab.

Didn't notice you edited your post yesterday.

I tried ElementaryOS at one point, and it was probably the best "no real tinkering, just works" distro. And really pretty as well.

I've used a couple chomebooks here and there, but I don't really like them. Because it's basically just a browser, and select apps from the play store.

So what's y'alls favorite thing to do that takes you away from the world for hours/days?

Games, music, learning, programming and riding my motorcycle.

Reactions: waived
L

Lefty

Mage
Dec 7, 2018
I've used Linux in the past. It can be useful if you have programming experience. I use Windows mainly. Linux Mint was pretty cool.

waived

waived

I am a sunrise
Jan 5, 2019
I've used a couple chomebooks here and there, but I don't really like them. Because it's basically just a browser, and select apps from the play store.

I have a chromebook that was ~$100, 10g after personalized system configurations and ends up with 1g to negotiate with. I am running a tweaked headless debian 'core' install that I purposed and expanded into an RFm sigint suite that I can run in a browser tab(s) next to my more chrome specific shell tabs (crosh) or next to regular chrome browser tabs. Previous to that was Ubuntu, and to that Kali-rolling release with minimal de's, as Crouton (Chromium os universal chroot environment) supports those three, all deb flavors. The wireless adapter in it is full feature through packet injection.

I wouldn't suggest deliberately subjecting yourself to low storage, lower power, and hack and slash if you have relatively seriously life deadlines like work/school tech projects. When I first approached it as a project I imagined it was going to be like trying to run linux cli alternatives on an under-powered, un-rooted, android phone with the usual disappointing lack of access to anything configurable but was almost shocked at what it allowed me to do and the access and options that it gave me.

Kismet

Kismet

life is pointless
Feb 16, 2022
I use Mint for my plex and torrent server. I have an laptop that I have Kali on when I want to mess with the neighbor or shut her music off by shutting her internet down. My computer, I use daily, is OS X but I have a VM of kali and Mint as well as a few others. Mute than a few adapters capable of packet injection as well. I'm by no means a hacker or even computer smart, just able to use search engines and figure stuff out