Snake of Eden

Snake of Eden

“Ye shall be as gods..🍎 🐍”
Jun 22, 2021
What are Things that you Like/Dislike About Your background Culture or country culture that other Cultures did it worse/better?

Last edited:
Reactions: WoAiGou
Snake of Eden

Snake of Eden

Jun 22, 2021
Middle east gulf

Dislike:
Food is generally very unhealthy

Like:
People are modest generally so you dont get too consumed by lust just going outside

Last edited:
Reactions: Samsal112 and WoAiGou
WoAiGou

WoAiGou

Stalinist
Dec 16, 2021
Dislike: causal deeply rooted racism and speciesism, over reliance on cars/car culture in general
Like: honestly have no idea, American culture has very few redeeming qualities, if anyone can think of them let me know.

Reactions: absoluteanimal1, Foresight and Snake of Eden
Snake of Eden

Snake of Eden

Jun 22, 2021
Dislike: over reliance on cars/car culture in general
Yes!! We have this huge problem now. Each house have like 5 cars on average and nowhere to park. It is getting ridiculous and there is no such a thing as public transit. This is huge. I started this topic to remind myself of things I like and dislike about mine and i hope this does the same to others.

Like: honestly have no idea, American culture has very few redeeming qualities, if anyone can think of them let me know.
Honestly what I like majorily about USA culture its ability to smartly influence outside of it like alot of very important social phenomenas take shape in USA before the rest of the world. It is like a giant social and economical experiments that the world can watch and learn from. I dont think the content of whats being influenced Is necessarily beneficial all the time, but it is interesting that it does happen. Very little that other cultures can have such a strong and permanent influence On others.

Reactions: WoAiGou
Samsal112

Samsal112

Student
Dec 20, 2021
Depends on what you mean by culture. I am Hispanic but my nationality is American.

Hispanic Culture:

Like: We're a very celebratory, colorful people

Dislike: Too much emphasis on getting married and having children regardless of the toxicity of the relationship. Also, women are treated poorly in this culture

American Culture:

Like: Pop culture. We really do have the best pop culture. Our trauma has developed some funny memes, tiktoks, and inside jokes

Dislike: We were raised to be an entitled weak people. We can't even handle the truth about our history and our weaknesses make appreciating even the little things in life difficult.

Reactions: absoluteanimal1, WrongPlaceWrongTime, demuic and 2 others
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
What are Things that you Like/Dislike About Your Culture that other Cultures did it worse/better?
Maybe it would be good to mention the culture you are from when answering the question

Snake of Eden

Snake of Eden

Jun 22, 2021
Maybe it would be good to mention the culture you are from when answering the question
Sure I did edit my response. Thanks for bringing that up

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Germany:

Like: we have a well reflected on our past crimes. I think we learned much from our mistakes and I like our constitution a lot. (Especially the highest court. it made really good decisions in the past for example the judgement for a very liberal assisted suicide law).
Germans really envy rich people. There is a lot mistrust in them. Lol. I think many foreigners see this as disadvantage. But I am a pretty bitter and resentful person who will have to endure poverty in the future. That is why I like it.
I really appreciate the health care system. Saved me from debts (for the moment)

Dislike: the influence of the churches on politics. In the US this is even way worse due to the Evangelicals. The party which is normally in power is the Christian conservative party. They are pretty powerful and shaped the country immensly. I think many people just pretend they would be in favor of weak or poor people but don't really want to improve/change the system. There are some hypocrites. In general there is a saying: Am deutschen Wesen soll die Welt genesen. It is pretty hard to translate. It means Germans feel morally superior to other cultures/ or nations and that is why they want to patronize them. Already has not worked twice. At least we don't use wars to reach that goal anymore.

Oh I forgot something. We are pretty pretty bad at digitalization. In Germany the internet speed is very low. Especially the younger generation is really ashamed. You cannot believe how expensive mobile internet is. It is an absolute joke in comparison to other countries. This might be a reason why Germany will lose a lot of its economical power in the future.

I hate the German music industry and I barely like the entertainment industry. Though there are some good shows. But the mainstream is 90% bullshit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snake of Eden
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
I dislike that in my country people still pay their bills at the post office or at the atm, always constant endless queues on both, other countries like the UK do everything online like me. But not my country, other countries are very ahead of mine on this matter.

A

Area Man

Student
Mar 31, 2021
I'm in the UK

Like:

It's the country I've always lived in and always known. It has been one of the greatest innovating nations of the world and a pop culture power house.

It also has loads of wonderful historical cities and towns and an unmatched olde worlde pub culture. No where else can you have a pub crawl like in the UK.

The countryside is really green.

Dislike:

Unfortunately the broader contemporary culture is rather vapid and shallow and it's in the grip of a nihilist post-neoliberalism. Many areas, including places I've lived are deprived and everywhere you go you'll find a local variety of narcissism whether it's uneducated bigotry or pretentous affluenza.

Lots of nepotism and deference to the current deeply flawed and decayed political and socio-economic system.

As a country the UK has not (ironically for Capitalism Inc.) capitalised on it's legacy as a technological and industrial superpower and failed to invest in infrastructure and services that people need to live secure and productive lives. Idk if it's a general flaw among humans or the country has just become depressing to live in but most people seem to fail to think critically about what will solve the issues facing the country.

To summarise, my country is one of the greatest civilisations this earth has yet seen but its time at the apex of human progress has clearly passed.

Last edited:
Reactions: demuic, noname223 and Snake of Eden
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I hate a lot about living in California. Just imagine the worst of Twitter except almost everyone is like that in real life as well. I wonder if it might be because of the cultural diversity inevitably causing so much conflict and forcing too many people to pivot too hard into being hyper obsessed with wokeness. I have heard that it can also be this bad in other metropolitan areas even in states like Texas or other countries like Canada. I don't even know if it's possible to have this sort of cultural diversity, which I do admire, without an unfortunate amount of discord and strife.

Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime and Snake of Eden
Snake of Eden

Snake of Eden

Jun 22, 2021
I hate a lot about living in California. Just imagine the worst of Twitter except almost everyone is like that in real life as well. I wonder if it might be because of the cultural diversity inevitably causing so much conflict and forcing too many people to pivot too hard into being hyper obsessed with wokeness. I have heard that it can also be this bad in other metropolitan areas even in states like Texas or other countries like Canada. I don't even know if it's possible to have this sort of cultural diversity, which I do admire, without an unfortunate amount of discord and strife.
I agree with you. I havent experienced first hand myself when i lived in Canada for 11 years as people generally seem to be liberal and tolerant in Toronto. I saw documentary on Portland and it seemed that it was a great profressive city before too much protesting starting to take place in it which really made things bad enough that it is a shadow now for its former Self. I think this is bound to happen in major american cities and canada has more of a wealth gap problem than a political divisiveness.

Reactions: Dr Iron Arc
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I agree with you. I havent experienced first hand myself when i lived in Canada for 11 years as people generally seem to be liberal and tolerant in Toronto. I saw documentary on Portland and it seemed that it was a great profressive city before too much protesting starting to take place in it which really made things bad enough that it is a shadow now for its former Self. I think this is bound to happen in major american cities and canada has more of a wealth gap problem than a political divisiveness.
It sucks because there are a lot of advantages to living in or near big cities (mainly when it comes to food) but then there are also problems like increased rates of crime and people being divided on who to blame for all the crime or what to do about it while it just gets bigger and bigger. The actor Seth Rogen once had his car broken into with his windows smashed and just nonchalantly said "it's what happens when you live in a big city". As if he just accepted that it's a natural progression of a diverse population. He and many others who live in California and have accepted this as the norm are only saying that because they live comfortably enough that it doesn't matter to them or they're just trying to use their politics to cope. Either way it sucks and I just wish something could change about it but I don't think it ever will.