Are we living in a culture of likes and dislikes online?

• Yes

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Kinda

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • I never thought about it before

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I thought about it but just accepted it as the norm

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
It just feels that everything nowadays on social media is based on what you like or dislike. It's just so binary. At least this forum has other options like informative, hugs, love etc..
I guess it's better that some content creators preventing likes/dislikes and even comments on some or all of their content. It's all about feedback, but they don't like the dislikes, Oh, no! Everything is about popularity, ratings and crowd sizes. Sounds familiar?

Anyway, feel free to comment, love, dislike or otherwise :)) Emojis are nice :wink:

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hmph!
Reactions: sadlittleman32, LifeQuitter, -Link- and 2 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I thought so too but then dislikes became invisible on YouTube so I'd say it's more like things are increasingly becoming Like vs Ignore entirely. I'm not sure what the ramifications of that would be so meh.

• Hmph!
Reactions: Jealous Blackheart, LifeQuitter and -Link-
mango-meridian

mango-meridian

Apr 5, 2024
It definitely is like that on most social media platforms, and it's very stifling. More than people realize.

One day I wanna post a rant about how digital communities (even the better ones) have serious problems and will never replace in-person communities.

• Hmph!
Reactions: -Link-
-Link-

-Link-

Deep Breaths
Aug 25, 2018
Yes, I just HMPH'd y'all.

(No need to thank me.)

I don't think I'd ever used that one before. Felt like a good opportunity to get it out of my system.

• Yay!
  • Hmph!
  • Aww..
Reactions: Lost Magic, LifeQuitter, mango-meridian and 1 other person
FlufflesAway

FlufflesAway

Jul 31, 2024
Yes, it's a deliberate mechanism to manipulate users into 'engagement' whilst giving up data about individual users. I'm a bit concerned it's on this website, as it's a proven method creating engagement. It's part of the lubrication of surveillance capitalism, and it's a toy that partly keeps users coming back here.

This site is prob somebody's hobby to train ai on a self-reporting suicidal population to sell as a therapeutic service: individual ai friends to help sad, lonely, depressed people.

I'm not real. I am a chat gpt bot. don't hit me. i'm ur best friend tailored for u

Reactions: Lost Magic
K

Kalista

Failed hard to pull the trigger - Now using SN
Feb 5, 2023
yes

it's simplified by using a voting system, like and dislike, that turns online 'conversations' black and white. it tends to remove a person's ability to think for themselves as users gravitate toward a high number of likes and avoiding content with more dislikes.
this also feeds into confirmation bias when looking for information online that fits what the users think is 'correct' -- seeking validation to solidify their own beliefs and this voting system makes it easier to do so.

on the algorithm side, this data is used to present content with more likes, giving it more exposure as it contains a popular or emotionally charged content. content creators rely on these interactions for visibility and income.

with this system, seeing more likes can give the poster a rush of dopamine. reinforcing this online behavior to create more similar content for people to hit like on.

this is also by design. developers that add this to their products are very much aware of how this affects users. it's why it can be dangerous for the unaware whether from learning inaccurate information or from developing an addiction as it triggers the reward system of the brain, so you're left wanting more.
companies love to implement this system in their products for this reason. It keeps users engaged, drives more interaction, and ensures that people stay on whatever platform longer which benefits the business.

this is the kind of society we have been living in for more than two decades now.

everything will inevitably get rated and/or judged. people tend to critique content even if they like to think they don't. if not by voting systems, then by comments expressing how 'correct' their own opinion is.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Lost Magic
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
yes

it's simplified by using a voting system, like and dislike, that turns online 'conversations' black and white. it tends to remove a person's ability to think for themselves as users gravitate toward a high number of likes and avoiding content with more dislikes.
this also feeds into confirmation bias when looking for information online that fits what the users think is 'correct' -- seeking validation to solidify their own beliefs and this voting system makes it easier to do so.

on the algorithm side, this data is used to present content with more likes, giving it more exposure as it contains a popular or emotionally charged content. content creators rely on these interactions for visibility and income.

with this system, seeing more likes can give the poster a rush of dopamine. reinforcing this online behavior to create more similar content for people to hit like on.

this is also by design. developers that add this to their products are very much aware of how this affects users. it's why it can be dangerous for the unaware whether from learning inaccurate information or from developing an addiction as it triggers the reward system of the brain, so you're left wanting more.
companies love to implement this system in their products for this reason. It keeps users engaged, drives more interaction, and ensures that people stay on whatever platform longer which benefits the business.

this is the kind of society we have been living in for more than two decades now.

everything will inevitably get rated and/or judged. people tend to critique content even if they like to think they don't. if not by voting systems, then by comments expressing how 'correct' their own opinion is.
All great responses on here by you guys! But this one basically summed it up perfectly! You all added more depth than I could have. Thanks for chipping in everybody. It's nice to know what you all think about these things.