It'sMyLife

It'sMyLife

Little bundles of futile hope we are
Apr 18, 2020
...that you didn't ask to be on. My analogy is not to catch the bus but how to get off early. If your life is a bus ride or a train ride, or whatever , that you're supposed to ride until the driver arrives at your specified stop, and one that is unbeknownst to us, you either have to order him or her to stop which is against the rules- or you have to jump out the window. Or maybe bash the driver over the head! The bus of of life apparently doesn't have one of those pull cords that causes the driver to stop wherever. I want off early albeit not right here. Of course I'll have to stick with the term CTB but ETB for exit the bus or maybe even JOTB for jump off the bus seems more accurate to me. Life may be a crappy bus even though there are a few things worth seeing along the way. My house is almost sold and getting rid of things so my plan is inch worming along

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Huntfish34, infinitelove, disabledandhopeless and 4 others
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
If life is like a bus ride the doors to my bus are locked. If I assault the driver the bus will crash, but I'll still be trapped.

• Hugs
Reactions: Huntfish34 and Sinkinshyp
_Kaira_

_Kaira_

This Isn't Fine
Oct 2, 2020
Interesting take on it. I have a different perspective. I like it as CTB cause I feel like my life isn't moving anywhere. I have my own little home in the middle of nowhere that I'm expected to act out my life accordingly to whoever tells me too, while being watched by surveillance cameras that are inspecting my every move and what I should or shouldn't do. The bus? Well. it's my only current escape being in the middle of seemingly no where else to go.

But your perspective is also really good and thought provoking!

• Love
Reactions: Huntfish34
marcusuk63

marcusuk63

CTB
Mar 24, 2019
My local bus service has a CTB week a few years ago lol

In 1973 author David Lazell couldn't catch the bus and his book is about his
nervous breakdown and his way back and is where the term originated , long before the interweb.

i hate that it adds a "new " post to the last post

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 51PgmXOV7jL._SX304_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    51PgmXOV7jL._SX304_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Reactions: GoodPersonEffed and _Kaira_
Deleted member 94

Deleted member 94

Wizard
Mar 24, 2018
...that you didn't ask to be on. My analogy is not to catch the bus but how to get off early. If your life is a bus ride or a train ride, or whatever , that you're supposed to ride until the driver arrives at your specified stop, and one that is unbeknownst to us, you either have to order him or her to stop which is against the rules- or you have to jump out the window. Or maybe bash the driver over the head! The bus of of life apparently doesn't have one of those pull cords that causes the driver to stop wherever. I want off early albeit not right here. Of course I'll have to stick with the term CTB but ETB for exit the bus or maybe even JOTB for jump off the bus seems more accurate to me. Life may be a crappy bus even though there are a few things worth seeing along the way. My house is almost sold and getting rid of things so my plan is inch worming along
I like your analogy similar to another person's but he used train instead of bus he said people are getting off others are getting on, the train continues on its journey, to me it's my choice to get of it sooner rather than later.

Reactions: _Kaira_
Sinkinshyp

Sinkinshyp

Paragon
Sep 7, 2020
if life is a bus ride well right now my bus is broke down.. the tires are all slanted sideways and the hood is popped with steam coming out. This bus ride just wants to be over... it's time to go to the recycle yard

Reactions: _Kaira_
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
I like JOTB.

The Stoics had an analogy of exiting the party of life and I like that. They had rational reasons for exiting the party, for instance, the provisions are spoiled (ill health), the provisions have run out (poverty), or rowdy guests (tyrants) show up, take over the party, and make the other guests act dishonorably and against their wills. It was important to the Stoics to be rational about it, so one did not run screaming from the party gone bad, but calmly exited.

The catch the bus euphemism has never resonated with me. When I researched about the forum, the original one, alt suicide holiday, used the term with the analogy that everyone was hanging out at the site like a bus stop, and when one was ready to leave, they caught the next bus, and there was no rush because there would always be others arriving.

I myself use suicide as a verb: "If I choose to suicide," "When that person suicided," etc. But maybe I'll start saying ETP, exit the party. The party has gone to shit, it's rational to leave, it's just not as easy as it is rational.

Reactions: 262653 and _Kaira_