T

TransientEternal

Student
Sep 24, 2023
This is an opinion I have on consciousness that makes everything you do while alive even more worthless then it already is. Life can only know life. You are living because you are conscious. Loss of consciousness leads to loss of perception of time. So time skips forwards until your consciousness reforms itself. But will that still be you? Your memories gone, relationships gone, knowledge gone. Your consciousness reforms in an unknown form, you have no relation to the past you. You repeat the same meaningless endeavors, feel positive and negative emotions, suffer, suffer, suffer, and then you die again and again ad infinitum.

• Hugs
Reactions: Spike Spiegel, imsocold, Darkover and 5 others
リンさん

リンさん

Rina • she/her, lesbian
Sep 9, 2023
Yeah, this is why I'm not in a hurry to CTB. When my time comes, and I feel like I'm ready to move on, I will have my means to do so. But as long as the risk outweighs the reward, I'm going to stay. Because my life could be worse, and right now it is quite tolerable.

Life is an endless, meaningless lottery where sometimes "you" win, and sometimes "you" lose.

• Love
Reactions: darkenmydoorstep, Death is beautiful, annointed_towers and 1 other person
T

TransientEternal

Student
Sep 24, 2023
And people say "Suicide is a permanent solution for a temporary problem". Here's another reason among countless other reasons that this is false.

Reactions: Death is beautiful, Tokugawa_Yoshinobu and sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
This is an opinion I have on consciousness that makes everything you do while alive even more worthless then it already is. Life can only know life. You are living because you are conscious. Loss of consciousness leads to loss of perception of time. So time skips forwards until your consciousness reforms itself. But will that still be you? Your memories gone, relationships gone, knowledge gone. Your consciousness reforms in an unknown form, you have no relation to the past you. You repeat the same meaningless endeavors, feel positive and negative emotions, suffer, suffer, suffer, and then you die again and again ad infinitum.
Having to be a human being again would suck. I hate being one, I wish I could've been a cat instead or something. I feel like being a human is the main cause of my pain and misery. Hopefully I can be a cat or dog in the next life…

Reactions: Huggs
G

Gonnerr

Enlightened
Mar 12, 2023
One theory is that if the end of the universe end in a big crunch , when everything will be in a single dense point than big bang will happen again and since laws of physics are the same , speeds of light will be the same , objects and atoms will evolve the same, stars will form again in the same way over and over again, everything will happen again in the same way. No difference.

Then i could be living this life over and over again. Pure hell , no break ever.

This is a real possibility and i know this is what's happening.

Reactions: ABSOLUTION, TransientEternal and sserafim
real human being

real human being

full of broken thoughts
Jan 28, 2022
In buddhism, this is called the cycle of sansara. living and dying, experiencing familiar sufferings and pleasures in different forms, over and over. Personally - and this is again in line with eastern philosophy - I believe that there is no distinction between, say, your consciousness and my consciousness. There are just experiences being had. That is the nature of reality.

Reactions: Tokugawa_Yoshinobu and sserafim
T

TransientEternal

Student
Sep 24, 2023
Will we be free only when the laws of conservation disappear? When and how will that happen?

Reactions: Gonnerr and sserafim
starlightsun

starlightsun

May 26, 2023
I'm interested in a deeper reasoning for why you believe this? Because I have a similar fear that our consciousness transforms from one form to another because energy cannot be created or destroyed. However I desperately don't want this to be true because I want to not exist upon death, not forced into another form again and again endlessly.

I've listened to many stories of near death experiences and reincarnation, soul journeys etc, but I've been asking myself lately, how do we know this isn't just another illusion? Does our consciousness really transfer or do these experiences convince us it does? How do we prove it beyond doubt and is that even possible ...

Reactions: sserafim
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022

Sorry- didn't mean to mock you but I've always loved this clip...

I think it depends on what you think consciousness is. As I understand it- it includes self awareness which relies on the ability to remember memories. But- the vast majority of us don't remember past lives. So if some part of us does get reincarnated, I think it more likely that it is just life force. Like a battery. You take a battery out of a remote control and put it in a torch. It doesn't become either. It just helps that thing to function.

Personally- I view consciousness and self awareness more as an ability- like sight, hearing, language, movement. It developed as our brains developed. I reckon it will die when our brains die. That's my suspicion.

Last edited:
Reactions: sserafim, Death is beautiful, Deleted member 65988 and 2 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I very strongly believe that once we die, we just lose consciousness and that is it for us, we are gone as consciousness is stored in the brain. I don't believe in any of these other theories, death is simply the end of everything and the thought of not existing for all eternity comforts me so much. Existence is what is temporary instead, existence was just a horrific mistake that disturbed the peace of nothingness.

Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
it's obvious consciousness can be created and destroyed just like energy and matter, it's been proven energy can be created from nothing, so the universe can really create something from nothing, so the conversion of energy law is false, at some point in time there had to be a beginning starting from nothing some call this point in time the creator or god, i call it something from nothing, either way when we die our consciousness dies and nothing of the machine you are remains, mathematics plays a role in the universe i mean you could write a program to create all images with a given width and height with a set amount of colours to produced all possible images but it would take all the time in the universe and require more atom to store all the images then there are atoms in the universe , life is a brute force approach combined with evolution, let look at it a different way lets assume we was made from lego bricks now the universe can create life from lego bricks once these lego bricks making you up get destory so do you, but whats to say it couldn't ever happen again if you ask me life is just down to random chance at existing it doesn't require consciousness to be transferred from one lego machine to another lego machine for you to exist instead your consciousness is a emergent propertie inherit within the universe meaning just because you die doesn't mean thats you dead for all time even tho that is the fact of the matter but being bought back alive is just down to random chance

ABSOLUTION

ABSOLUTION

Jul 25, 2023
One theory is that if the end of the universe end in a big crunch , when everything will be in a single dense point than big bang will happen again and since laws of physics are the same , speeds of light will be the same , objects and atoms will evolve the same, stars will form again in the same way over and over again, everything will happen again in the same way. No difference.

Then i could be living this life over and over again. Pure hell , no break ever.

This is a real possibility and i know this is what's happening.
This is exactly what I was thinking the past couple days. Peculiar to see this given that I check this site less frequently...
I think that true eternity still exists, but not in the sense that there is a permanent timeline. You could consider imperceivably huge amounts of time to be virtually eternal, but it surely can't be unlimited, and somethings gotta happen after. And I think it resembles what Gonnerr mentioned. It will roll over back to the beginning.

Assuming the above is the case, it could be like OP said where time will be imperceivable in death, and we will basically hyper fast forward to when our individual lives start again.
The "time elapsing" as you're in the state of nothingness in death wouldn't be tied to the same time perceived by those still alive. You would be made to have the slowest "metabolism" possible beyond what a living thing is capable of, as the energy that once gave you consciousness and life isn't destroyed, but made dormant. Which seems like it would make time spent being dead go by in a flash, but whatever's still alive will go on as usual concurrently.
Maybe not though? I'm not as sure...

I hope that makes any sense at all, I wrote this this tired late at night.
With all that said, could someone please tell me I'm completely wrong or that my theories are flawed? Or counter with other theories? I don't want any of the above to be what might actually end up happening, I just want to forever sleep. 😟

Reactions: sserafim and Gonnerr
Huggs

Huggs

Wish for peace
Jul 6, 2023
While I believe it isn't I also hope with every fiber of my being that that is not the nature of reality. That is hell. Absolute hell.

Reactions: sserafim and Darkover
Captive_Mind515

Captive_Mind515

King or street sweeper, dance with grim reaper!
Jul 18, 2023
Yeah, this is why I'm not in a hurry to CTB. When my time comes, and I feel like I'm ready to move on, I will have my means to do so. But as long as the risk outweighs the reward, I'm going to stay. Because my life could be worse, and right now it is quite tolerable.

Life is an endless, meaningless lottery where sometimes "you" win, and sometimes "you" lose.

It's worse than a lottery though. At least with an actual lottery, you know the odds of the game before "you" decide to play… and "you" decide to play!

With life we are all just thrown in the deep end of the pool, with no choice and wildly varying degrees of ability to succeed. But even if you do manage to swim, you're still only threading water for a while until you eventually drown anyway. It's like the worst lottery anyone could invent! 😂… (that's why we get no choice, because nobody would willingly play this dumb game!)

Reactions: sserafim and Darkover
fxndi

fxndi

May 15, 2023
When you die you will be no more, no consciousness to think or a body to feel with... unless you believe in reincarnation or the afterlife

H

Hotsackage

Enlightened
Mar 11, 2019
there is only one form of spirituality that could be true. im not going to state what it is(not any religion,) but if its wrong then we are just random quantum madness

Death is beautiful

Death is beautiful

Warlock
May 20, 2021
And people say "Suicide is a permanent solution for a temporary problem". Here's another reason among countless other reasons that this is false.
What nonsense, problems go parallel with life, they will never be solved while you live, I have a pretty quiet life, no conflicts, extreme and stress, I'm not even 20, but not a year goes by that I don't go to the hospital, stomach problems, with harmonics, with everything. Life is a constant problem, people will not think about it and speak out loud because to admit it is already the first step to CTB. And others say that problems make you stronger, but for what in the end?