Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
For quite some time now, I wondered what the point of life is. We spend all of our time looking for distractions to make our journey to towards death less tedious. Why should we strive to achieve anything when we will inevitable lose it all, one way or another? There is no reward after all of that struggle. You are forced to wade through endless problems until you're gone. This brutal cycle will repeat itself over and over until humanity as at the brink of extinction.

This I think is the selling point behind many religions. People desperately want to believe that their efforts amount to something. That their life has some grand purpose.

The notion that the only certainty in life is death, coupled with the reality that death is perhaps the most terrifying prospect for many humans, suggests that procreation imposes a form of existential bondage. By bringing a child into the world, parents force another being into a state of perpetual awareness of its own mortality and the suffering that life entails.

Reactions: ijustwishtodie, Forever Sleep, AbusedInnocent and 2 others
AbusedInnocent

AbusedInnocent

Enemy brain ain't cooperating
Apr 5, 2024
We spend all of our time looking for distractions to make our journey to towards death less tedious. Why should we strive to achieve anything when we will inevitable lose it all, one way or another? There is no reward after all of that struggle.

I guess some people find joy in striving, assuming they view the result as something positive they can enjoy this reward while it lasts, it would be like saying why should I bother going to a movie theater to watch a movie when the movie will inevitably end in a few hours, you can enjoy it while it lasts.

Somehow they see this never ending chain of problems to be "taking on new challenges" that are somehow fulfilling to complete.

• Love
Reactions: QteStimBnnuy, LifeQuitter, Forever Sleep and 1 other person
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
Life really is a never ending cycle of suffering. It's scary as to how much suffering life has and also how it's possible to suffer even worse than we currently are. I wish that life would be nice and kind but it isn't. Reality is disappointing and too much effort. I honestly can't understand why anybody even wants to stay alive

Reactions: LifeQuitter and Darkover
GargoyleFiend

GargoyleFiend

Sep 5, 2024
I constantly long for life to be worthwhile and meaningful, but no matter how much I look I am not capable of looking past how much suffering and misery is in the world. It all just takes so much effort, going through the motions when you don't really want to be. I kind of envy the people that are able to get through life on auto pilot, just going through the motions and not thinking too deeply about it, blissfully unaware of the horrors.

i wish there was more to life than going to work and paying bills

Last edited: