Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
i got curious, and i know there are some members of the community here so maybe i can get your opinions.
i was watching south park and someone went to address Ms/Mr Garrison. They said "Ms......" and it got me thinking Mrs/Ms - Her/She, Mr - Him/Her. but what would 'they/them' be?
I personally like to properly address people when i can (Sir/Ma'am) and im not liking that theres a blank spot. i dont know what to say.
I mean zero offense by this post and i hope no one takes offense to it, im honestly curious "how it works" and what people prefer to be called. im just trying to understand.
if you do take offense please dont just be upset with me. explain it so i can understand for next time.

• Love
Reactions: Huntfish34, looseye, Unending and 1 other person
U

Unending

Enlightened
Nov 5, 2022
Mx is the honorific that is used for non binary people and is pronounced, micks. Also, it's not offensive at all for you to ask! On the contrary, I think that it's good for people to know stuff like this. Fun fact: I just looked it up and saw that this honorific came into existence at the end of the 1970s.

• Hugs
  • Informative
Reactions: etale-cohomology, Huntfish34, Venus13 and 3 others
BabyBlueSedan

BabyBlueSedan

Dec 23, 2022
Most non-binary people use Mx, as HarmedVessel said, some would prefer the title to be omitted (that was the case for me when I used gender neutral pronouns/terms, I just don't like Mx).
Also, I know some non-binary people that pursued their doctorates just to be able to use Dr haha

• Hugs
Reactions: Huntfish34 and Unending
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I didn't actually know about the 'Mx' title but the 'Ms' thing made me want to comment...

My parents and especially my Step Mum always hated the title 'Ms' because she thought it identified someone as a divorcee (maybe she encountered prejudice for that...) I think my Dad tends to think people wanting to be refered to as 'Ms' are going to be ardent, overpowering feminists (lol- I don't know why...)

I grew up thinking it was a bad thing. Then friends suggested that it's simply a title that doesn't disclose whether you are married or not. Men get that automatically- why shouldn't we?

Now I'm 42 and unmarried. It doesn't actually bother me what people think or know- I don't feel particularly protective over my marital status or my age- so- I don't care if I'm called Miss or Ms... Mrs is a bit weird- bacause it feels a bit of an assumption that I ought to be married by this age (plus- it's my Mum.) Still- I guess that could well just be a typo... Sorry- off topic there!

• Hugs
Reactions: Huntfish34
Huntfish34

Huntfish34

Enlightened
Mar 13, 2020
I agree OP, Have some members of my family / relatives that are going through this. Extremely confusing for me to say the Least. Especially the " they , them " which i learned about a couple years back at a reunion. Mean no harm or disrespect either ...

Thank you for sharing this. -