dropdeadfred

dropdeadfred

Boarding the bus to Everlasting Dreamland ♡
Oct 19, 2020
Anyone been through a Growthwork or Large Group Awareness Training? I'm surprised to see no threads on this.
I went through a local Growthwork training at 29 years old & it was the most amazing shit I've experienced to date. It's not therapy, but was much more effective for me than any therapy session I'd ever done. I wish I had gone through something so much earlier in my life.
I've heard that some LGATs are cult run, which is not surprising.
Thoughts? Experiences?

Last edited:
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
I wonder based on your signature if you went through Landmark and this is a recruiting post. Apologies if I'm off the mark (I swear that wasn't a pun), but I lost one of my closest friends to Landmark, definitely a brainwashing enterprise if not a cult by traditional definition.

• Hugs
Reactions: dropdeadfred and Deleted member 19654
dropdeadfred

dropdeadfred

Oct 19, 2020
First of all... you mean my Carl Jung quote? Must be, because I don't have a signature otherwise.
I have not been through Landmark & this is not the first time I've heard a similar opinion about Landmark. I went through trainings adopted from an LGAT called Lifespring through an independent Growthwork facilitator in my town. I have never been through an actual LGAT.
I am so sorry about your friend & I'm guessing it has given you an extra sense to see if someone might be waving a red flag (I could see how this post could appear to be so after reading your comment. It didn't even cross my mind at first.) My sister was worried about me going through any type of similar training as she also witnessed her friend apparently succumb to brainwashing. Stories like that are sad & scary. Nothing of the sort happened to me (quite the opposite- like I said, it was an f'ing incredible experience), but my trainings were also independent.
Thanks for responding. You always invite me to look at things differently, even if not intentional.

• Hugs
Reactions: GoodPersonEffed
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
First of all... you mean my Carl Jung quote? Must be, because I don't have a signature otherwise.
I have not been through Landmark & this is not the first time I've heard a similar opinion about Landmark. I went through trainings adopted from an LGAT called Lifespring through an independent Growthwork facilitator in my town. I have never been through an actual LGAT.
I am so sorry about your friend & I'm guessing it has given you an extra sense to see if someone might be waving a red flag (I could see how this post could appear to be so after reading your comment. It didn't even cross my mind at first.) My sister was worried about me going through any type of similar training as she also witnessed her friend apparently succumb to brainwashing. Stories like that are sad & scary. Nothing of the sort happened to me (quite the opposite- like I said, it was an f'ing incredible experience), but my trainings were also independent.
Thanks for responding. You always invite me to look at things differently, even if not intentional.

Thanks for being cool about me asking and understanding my suspicion. Yes, I meant your custom title, the quote. The main tenet of Landmark is that life has no meaning, and they teach one how to "manage" that, while I understand that Lifespring's was that there is no hope.

I don't doubt you had incredible experiences. I'll show you the respect of accepting your right and ability to define that for yourself. This topic breaks my heart for a variety of reasons, but I recognize you're wanting to connect about it in a way that's validating. In spite of my misgivings and desire to protect, I know there's not really a space for that here, so I'll step out of the thread and will be glad as always to see you on other threads. I often enjoy your posts.

• Hugs
Reactions: dropdeadfred
dropdeadfred

dropdeadfred

Oct 19, 2020
Thanks for being cool about me asking and understanding my suspicion. Yes, I meant your custom title, the quote. The main tenet of Landmark is that life has no meaning, and they teach one how to "manage" that, while I understand that Lifespring's was that there is no hope.

I don't doubt you had incredible experiences. I'll show you the respect of accepting your right and ability to define that for yourself. This topic breaks my heart for a variety of reasons, but I recognize you're wanting to connect about it in a way that's validating. In spite of my misgivings and desire to protect, I know there's not really a space for that here, so I'll step out of the thread and will be glad as always to see you on other threads. I often enjoy your posts.
You're amazing. I take everything you've said to heart, your input is important, & I have more researching to do because of what you've stated.

GPE has also brought up some points I want to comment on from my personal experience:
Everyone, including friends/family members of people who go through LGATs/Growthwork trainings, have varying experiences (some of which are similar- for better or worse.) This is why I don't advocate for or against Growthwork trainings in general. My personal experience was improved relationships with everyone in my life, as I was able to improve my relationship with myself with the tools I learned/experiences I had in the trainings. This is, of course, not everyone's experience.
I am still genuinely curious about everyone's experiences who have gone through trainings along the lines of these. What I went through changed my life for the best (which is what probably everyone reading this thread has gathered from me.)

On that note:
It makes me so angry when people are taken advantage of/tricked & these types of trainings can absolutely target people for such results. It is my belief that some do after doing some research & reading some people's accounts.
I feel really fortunate to have my own personal bullshit radar, that I'm equipped with critical thinking, I possess the smarts to have done research before I decided to enroll in the training I went through, & the ability to walk out of a room if bullshit was detected. Not everyone has this. However, I also am smart enough to know how brainwashing works, which means I could have fallen prey to it as well. This is why I always trust my own instincts. If something doesn't feel right: it probably isn't!
If Lifespring was founded on ill intent, I believe that the organization I went through adapted from the effective parts of the Lifespring framework & nixed the perversion from it. That's all I can think.
My heart goes out to anyone duped by/had negative experiences from any type of Growthwork training. It's not true "Growthwork" when any ill intent is involved. If human nature can taint something for personal gain, it will unfortunately.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
I'm curious what it was like, of course no obligation to say. I don't mean for this to come across like grilling! I genuinely have these questions.

What I'm wondering is, when you did the first training, did you go through sleep deprivation, public shaming/blaming for traumas, have your use of the bathroom or intake of water or food limited, followed by staff if you took a non-scheduled break? Did they give new meanings to everyday words, have their own Growthwork lingo? Were you pressured into taking more courses? Were you pressured to convince others to take the courses? Were you pressured to volunteer and give up important personal commitments to prove your commitment to Growthwork? Were you encouraged to get people you cared about who had problems the courses could help to take courses in lieu of sharing helpful tools and information with them?

I'm totally cool if you don't want to answer. I know this wasn't the purpose of the thread and I respect if you want to keep the focus on that.

Reactions: dropdeadfred
dropdeadfred

dropdeadfred

Oct 19, 2020
Great questions.
I will try to break it down the best I can & answer to the best of my ability.
(If I didn't answer a specific question you asked, that means it didn't happen during my experience- at least not to me.)

First training, which focused on the self mostly:
Roughly 8 hours per day for 4 days-
Staff was very courteous & supportive to everyone throughout (my opinion.)
Speeches, lots of emphasis on individuality/integrity, journaling/"homework", reflection, sharing thoughts/personal issues with the group if chosen, activities/games...
As far as lingo... there were definitely phrases (like mantras) & terms that were introduced to us & repeated. For example: referring to the culmination of common stress inducers that we all experience as a human race were called "The Bullshits." Work, chores, bills, etc.
We signed a contract agreeing to the following:
Scheduled food/restroom breaks, except for those with medical needs. (No following by staff at any time.)
Water provided, but not food. Personal water bottles permitted at all times during trainings. No chewing gum during trainings.
No alcohol/drug use (minus prescriptions, of course) for the entirety of training. No cell phones inside of the training rooms.
At the end, we were encouraged to enroll everyone (family & friends) & to sign up individually for next training.

Second, which focused primarily on teamwork:
Roughly 10 hours per day for 4 days-
Mostly same as above*, but with actual goals to be completed as a group/team, which were centered around our group only, such as creating skits together for example. Lots of teamwork/problem solving.
*2 meals provided during the day (lunch & dinner.) Vegan/gluten-free options always offered in addition.
Personal food/snacks permitted on breaks.

Third, which was all about leadership (individual & group goals):
Over a 4 month period; varying days, times, & locations-
Holy shiiiiit, this portion was intense. I knew it was going to be. Mostly same as above*. Main focus was as a group, we were to come up with a community service project that we all aligned on & to bring it into fruition, which we successfully did.
*Attempted enrollment of others into the first training was a necessity & the hardest part for me as an individual. (I still would probably have trouble selling cookies to someone with a sweet tooth!)
For the final week, lodging & 3 meals per day were included.

I walked away from the entire experience feeling so much like a badass. Writing it all out is kind of unbelievable... I can't believe meek me decided to engage in all of that to this day. But, I did. & I very much underestimated myself going into it all.

Last edited:
  • Hugs