D

Donewiyhitall

Sep 5, 2020
Hello friends. I am a less than 2 months I think?,
Lurker on this forum.

I am scared of divulging too much because I'm not sure of the security and I also don't quite know what to say. I am aiming for a successful SN mode and regardless it has to be done. But my main question is is how to reach out to people for comfort security reassurance and confirmation, advice on this site. I'm actually a very outgoing person and quite congenial. But not quite in this situation. I think I'm just trying to introduce myself properly so I can get some replies to some quick answers that I'll need in the next week.

• Hugs
Reactions: Sensei, JackieInTheBox, LonelyNick and 4 others
VIBRITANNIA

VIBRITANNIA

lelouch. any pronouns. pfp is by pixiv id 3217872.
Aug 10, 2020
my advice would be to not say anything you don't need to. only share the essential details, but be honest about those details.

i've only been on here for a month or so, and the majority of people are nice. majority. i do think it's important to open up, so that we aren't lying to each other like we do to others, but there's always those looking to prey on the insecure. a little bit of caution goes a long way.

i know this is contradicting. let me know if you need me to explain more.

Reactions: Blueman and Donewiyhitall
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
You can say a lot while still omitting things like your name and location. Telling your general story wouldn't give enough info to track you down even if someone was trying. There's no need to say anything that makes you uncomfortable. If you don't want to get into your story we can always just talk to you about your day or how you're feeling.

Reactions: virginiawoolf86, Sensei, JackieInTheBox and 5 others
D

Donewiyhitall

Sep 5, 2020
my advice would be to not say anything you don't need to. only share the essential details, but be honest about those details.

i've only been on here for a month or so, and the majority of people are nice. majority. i do think it's important to open up, so that we aren't lying to each other like we do to others, but there's always those looking to prey on the insecure. a little bit of caution goes a long way.

Just having a reply, is fabulous. Thank you for that. I have no intentions or need to lie I just don't want someone to ask why are you feeling this way because I don't have the patience to type that much! Thank you so much for replying!!

• Love
Reactions: LonelyNick and the witch’s lament
the witch’s lament

the witch’s lament

Sep 5, 2020
Lurker on this forum.

I am scared of divulging too much because I'm not sure of the security and I also don't quite know what to say. I am aiming for a successful SN mode and regardless it has to be done. But my main question is is how to reach out to people for comfort security reassurance and confirmation, advice on this site. I'm actually a very outgoing person and quite congenial. But not quite in this situation. I think I'm just trying to introduce myself properly so I can get some replies to some quick answers that I'll need in the next week.
always be careful when sharing info anywhere on the internet. then take that one step further considering the info you are inclined to share within a forum like this. so long as you are not descriptive in aspects that can identify you, but more so in aspects where you can identify with others, all should be well. thanks for joining.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Ghost2211 and Donewiyhitall
D

Donewiyhitall

Sep 5, 2020
Tha
You can say a lot while still omitting things like your name and location. Telling your general story wouldn't give enough info to track you down even if someone was trying. There's no need to say anything that makes you uncomfortable. If you don't want to get into your story we can always just talk to you about your day or how you're feeling.
Thank you for that!
Tha
Thank you for replying! Senior post over the past couple of months, I respect your opinion. Thank you so much!
Tha

Thank you for that!
Tha

Thank you for replying! Senior post over the past couple of months, I respect your opinion. Thank you so much!
*Seeing not senior. Although, that seems fitting , as well

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Ghost2211 and the witch’s lament
GravityUtilizer

GravityUtilizer

Born to lose
May 22, 2020
Fuck it.

• Hugs
Reactions: Donewiyhitall and Ghost2211
D

Donewiyhitall

Sep 5, 2020
Forgive my typos & repeats, not used to posting

Advice headed and much appreciated

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Brink and Ghost2211
Giraffey

Giraffey

Your Orange Crush
Mar 7, 2020
My advice is summed up in the following:

"You can be anyone, but always be yourself."

I generally keep my identity obscured and limit the amount of information in public that could be used to identify me directly.

That aside, I don't pretend to be somebody I'm not. Here, my name can be anything I want it to be, as can my location or even what I had for breakfast for that matter... But I stay true to who I am.

You can tell people whether you drive or not without needing to say what car. You can say you've been in hospital before without needing to say where or which ward you stayed on. You can tell people about your job and talk about your coworkers without ever needing to give the name of the company or the names of those you work with.

Give yourself a false name if you wish, obscure your age, tell people you're shaved with blonde hair when really you're bearded with a scarlet mullet...

But don't pretend your dog just died if it didn't, don't pretend to be a high flying stockbroker if you're really unemployed, and don't pretend to be suicidal if you're really just lonely. You may fool people at first, but it'll unravel, and your friendships will be as hollow as your lies.

"You can be anyone, but always be yourself"

Reactions: Donewiyhitall, LonelyNick and DyingAlf
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
I'm so sorry that life has progressed in such a way that you feel the need to be here, but nonetheless we are happy to welcome you to our community.

As supportive as most of our members are, there are trolls and people who actively seek to thwart members' plans or to entrap members into saying or doing things that are illegal or could get the site shut down. I think it's very important to look out for these kinds of behaviors and to abide by the forum guidelines. And I echo what others have already said — be honest in what you do choose to share.

Welcome, and I hope you find support, comfort, and peace!

Reactions: virginiawoolf86
BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
Lurker on this forum.

No need to tell people you name, address, bank details and tax code.

As far as I can work out there are two main reasons why people are particularly cautious on this site: scams (see the scams thread) and well-meaning people who might try to intervene during an attempt.

So don't share information that you wouldn't usually share with strangers, but equally there is no reason to lie about what you do share.

Silver

Silver

The 21st century is when everything changes
Aug 8, 2020
Bear in mind that anything you post on this forum can be viewed by anyone on the internet, as the forum is viewable by anyone. But unless you have a unique history that you post about, or write your full name somewhere, or some other specific identifying information, you should be fine. There's not much danger in writing that you live in, say, London or Edinburgh. Lots of other people do too. If you then disclosed that you worked for a company that has like 10 employees it would be easier to identify you. Just keep things vague, but you can still discuss your own story and people will try to help. PM me if you like.

D

Donewiyhitall

Sep 5, 2020
My advice is summed up in the following:

I generally keep my identity obscured and limit the amount of information in public that could be used to identify me directly.

That aside, I don't pretend to be somebody I'm not. Here, my name can be anything I want it to be, as can my location or even what I had for breakfast for that matter... But I stay true to who I am.

You can tell people whether you drive or not without needing to say what car. You can say you've been in hospital before without needing to say where or which ward you stayed on. You can tell people about your job and talk about your coworkers without ever needing to give the name of the company or the names of those you work with.

Give yourself a false name if you wish, obscure your age, tell people you're shaved with blonde hair when really you're bearded with a scarlet mullet...

But don't pretend your dog just died if it didn't, don't pretend to be a high flying stockbroker if you're really unemployed, and don't pretend to be suicidal if you're really just lonely. You may fool people at first, but it'll unravel, and your friendships will be as hollow as your lies.

"You can be anyone, but always be yourself"
thank you and thank you!

Reactions: Giraffey