bluefeather177

bluefeather177

drowsy in a dark room
Mar 2, 2023
I haven't done it in years (intentionally). I used to cut for a long time but got tired of the cleanup and how messy it was. I alway felt like it was way too messy for how little it actually hurts (never feels like anything more than a dull ache). I just tried it for the first time in years and I still feel the same. I also feel a little bit dumb slitting my wrists as a grown adult because I haven't known anyone to do it beyond being a teenager.

When I worked in a fast food pizza place I used to intentionally clean the hot dough press in a careless manner because it would burn my forearms and I could write off as being from work. So, I also just tried to burn myself by heating a fork under the burner of a flame and laying it on my wrist but I think SI kicked in and kept me from actually hurting myself (and now my skin just smells nasty).

Anyone have any ways to SH that arent messy? Or a different way to try burning myself a little more successfully?

Melancholy Mittens

Melancholy Mittens

Big Top Breakdown
Apr 27, 2023
Im big on bruising myself, personally. My cuts are always shallow, dozens and dozens of shallow cuts instead of a few deep ones. Part of what I'm craving is the visual and that's just not it. Fists work fine but a hard object is also good, I used a meat tenderizer I few times (pointy side is not a good idea 💀). It's easiest on my arms. Easy to lie away, too. Got drunk and fell, fell hard into something, and honestly my excuse has continuously just been "I dunno" and no one has cared to push further despite my entire arm being purple pff

Reactions: deadpoet, etherealspring and bluefeather177
ladylazarus4

ladylazarus4

exhausted
May 12, 2024
I do ice and salt burns but please please make sure to not leave it on for too long. It didn't hurt that much for me and I got minor blistering (left it on for about 30 seconds). It's so easy to get 2nd degree burns.

Reactions: bluefeather177
nattys5thtoenail

nattys5thtoenail

goofball
Oct 6, 2024
I haven't done it in years (intentionally). I used to cut for a long time but got tired of the cleanup and how messy it was. I alway felt like it was way too messy for how little it actually hurts (never feels like anything more than a dull ache). I just tried it for the first time in years and I still feel the same. I also feel a little bit dumb slitting my wrists as a grown adult because I haven't known anyone to do it beyond being a teenager.

When I worked in a fast food pizza place I used to intentionally clean the hot dough press in a careless manner because it would burn my forearms and I could write off as being from work. So, I also just tried to burn myself by heating a fork under the burner of a flame and laying it on my wrist but I think SI kicked in and kept me from actually hurting myself (and now my skin just smells nasty).

Anyone have any ways to SH that arent messy? Or a different way to try burning myself a little more successfully?
Yk the little dirt scraper on nail clippers? It'll give you temporary marks that look like scars but they fade after 1 hour and it hurts if you put a lot of pressure ;)

bluefeather177

bluefeather177

drowsy in a dark room
Mar 2, 2023
Im big on bruising myself, personally. My cuts are always shallow, dozens and dozens of shallow cuts instead of a few deep ones. Part of what I'm craving is the visual and that's just not it. Fists work fine but a hard object is also good, I used a meat tenderizer I few times (pointy side is not a good idea 💀). It's easiest on my arms. Easy to lie away, too. Got drunk and fell, fell hard into something, and honestly my excuse has continuously just been "I dunno" and no one has cared to push further despite my entire arm being purple pff
Will have to consider this one. I have ADHD and am very spatially unaware and seem to have a decently high pain tolerance so I get unexplained bruises all of the time.
I do ice and salt burns but please please make sure to not leave it on for too long. It didn't hurt that much for me and I got minor blistering (left it on for about 30 seconds). It's so easy to get 2nd degree burns.
This is intriguing too. I wanna keep trying some method of burning so I might give it a shot.
Yk the little dirt scraper on nail clippers? It'll give you temporary marks that look like scars but they fade after 1 hour and it hurts if you put a lot of pressure ;)
Unironically did this on my arms right before I decided to cut them. It hurt but the red marks just made me wish I'd drawn blood. I think there's kind of an allure to having some kind of lasting mark for me as some kind of proof that I'm fucked up. I dunno.

• Hugs
Reactions: Melancholy Mittens
BoredNTired

BoredNTired

Wants to sleep for a good long while
Sep 30, 2024
Using sharp tweasers works for me, you have a lot more control if you go slow, the wounds it leaves aren't really recognizable as SH, and by pulling and digging you can control how much it hurts to a reasonably high scale. I'd usually make a small-ish and not too deep incision with a razor or knife, then pull at and dig at that with tweazers to make it hurt and expand.

• Informative
Reactions: TiredofLife-Thanks and bluefeather177
Melancholy Mittens

Melancholy Mittens

Big Top Breakdown
Apr 27, 2023
Will have to consider this one. I have ADHD and am very spatially unaware and seem to have a decently high pain tolerance so I get unexplained bruises all of the time.
Yesss same. Adhd autistic in a claustrophobic house, I bump into and graze against EVERYTHING constantly. Pretty confident that's why no one bothers prodding further into why im usually bruised up, easy to assume its from just being a clumsy little guy. A lifetime inconvenience finally serving a purpose ha

• Love
C

ConfusedClouds

Experienced
Mar 9, 2024
For me hugging a hot drink/bottle is my go-to. Mostly just gives me a sensation to clear my mind and focus on breathing through. Usually no more than red marks that might last upto a day. Be careful though, I have ended up with large blisters/proper burns from it which have left me with pretty annoying coin-sized scars that are pretty obvious and take a while to even heal over.

I find it weird how some days I can be super sensitive and others it doesn't feel strong and thats when I accidentally get bad burns/blisters.

• Love
Deviisdreaming-

Deviisdreaming-

Every day is a new day!
May 4, 2023
I also feel a little bit dumb slitting my wrists as a grown adult because I haven't known anyone to do it beyond being a teenager.
I still slit mine ever so often and I am indeed a grown adult. I think it's embarrassing to do, but they heal quicker than burns. If I do burn myself I take a piece of incense and light it on fire. It leaves a perfect little circle basically, the pain is pretty bad and it's easy to get to second degree! I've seen around online of people burning themselves with ice and salt. I've also witnessed folks trying wider or smaller blades. One I'm sure nobody will mention is exercise. Exercise until you can't walk you're in so much pain. It's also slightly rewarding to do this.

bluefeather177

bluefeather177

drowsy in a dark room
Mar 2, 2023
Yesss same. Adhd autistic in a claustrophobic house, I bump into and graze against EVERYTHING constantly. Pretty confident that's why no one bothers prodding further into why im usually bruised up, easy to assume its from just being a clumsy little guy. A lifetime inconvenience finally serving a purpose ha
Ugh yeah didn't even consider autism also affecting motor skills. I've known + been diagnosed as ADHD for a long time but more recently coming to terms with probably being autistic. I guess it has its perks sometimes!

Using sharp tweasers works for me, you have a lot more control if you go slow, the wounds it leaves aren't really recognizable as SH, and by pulling and digging you can control how much it hurts to a reasonably high scale. I'd usually make a small-ish and not too deep incision with a razor or knife, then pull at and dig at that with tweazers to make it hurt and expand.
This is gnarly and interesting. I think a really weird injury like that would be easier to explain with some kind of workshop activity I am known to engage in or work as well. Thanks for the insight.
For me hugging a hot drink/bottle is my go-to. Mostly just gives me a sensation to clear my mind and focus on breathing through. Usually no more than red marks that might last upto a day. Be careful though, I have ended up with large blisters/proper burns from it which have left me with pretty annoying coin-sized scars that are pretty obvious and take a while to even heal over.

I find it weird how some days I can be super sensitive and others it doesn't feel strong and thats when I accidentally get bad burns/blisters.
How do you go about heating the bottle? And what kinds of hot drinks are you meaning specifically?
I still slit mine ever so often and I am indeed a grown adult. I think it's embarrassing to do, but they heal quicker than burns. If I do burn myself I take a piece of incense and light it on fire. It leaves a perfect little circle basically, the pain is pretty bad and it's easy to get to second degree! I've seen around online of people burning themselves with ice and salt. I've also witnessed folks trying wider or smaller blades. One I'm sure nobody will mention is exercise. Exercise until you can't walk you're in so much pain. It's also slightly rewarding to do this.
Interesting method for burning. The exercise is also kind of intriguing. I dunno if I have the time to sink into that much walking but maybe coupling the gym with the food restriction I've been able to do since starting my new meds would feel like a great way to punish myself while also continuing my weight loss.

• Hugs
Reactions: Melancholy Mittens
C

ConfusedClouds

Experienced
Mar 9, 2024
I find high intensity exercise more impactful than trying to keep 'steady state' exercise (e.g. walking/jogging/cycling) going for long enough. Most accessible option is going to stairs or a steep hill, run up, walk back down, repeat - it starts to 'burn' real quick.

Just simple freshly boiled hot tea/coffee/hot chocolate in a mug can be enough - though even that has given me nasty blister scars that are still visible from over a year ago which I massively regret, but was lucky enough they're mostly hidden under normal clothes - they would not be explainable.

I sometimes dig around with tweezers too. Though I have loads of ingrown hairs so its usually with clearing out them, and the 'wounds' then hide amongst all the spots and scabs. People have asked if they're insect bites before which is an easy get-out.

None are particularly good. I really struggle to know where to turn or what else to do.

bandoscii

bandoscii

Jun 29, 2024
Not sure if this is a sh method, but you could try holding your breath as long as you can. At least it helps me feel like I have some control. Can do any time and even in public.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: __dystop1a__ and ConfusedClouds
Deviisdreaming-

Deviisdreaming-

Every day is a new day!
May 4, 2023
Ugh yeah didn't even consider autism also affecting motor skills. I've known + been diagnosed as ADHD for a long time but more recently coming to terms with probably being autistic. I guess it has its perks sometimes!

This is gnarly and interesting. I think a really weird injury like that would be easier to explain with some kind of workshop activity I am known to engage in or work as well. Thanks for the insight.

How do you go about heating the bottle? And what kinds of hot drinks are you meaning specifically?

Interesting method for burning. The exercise is also kind of intriguing. I dunno if I have the time to sink into that much walking but maybe coupling the gym with the food restriction I've been able to do since starting my new meds would feel like a great way to punish myself while also continuing my weight loss.
Yes, I probably shouldn't get into exercise torture on a public thread, but be careful either way!

Reactions: ConfusedClouds