BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
I've finally got the courage to leave my abusive partner, today I started packing up the car and told him that it's over. He took is surprisingly well but now I'm feeling all sorts of emotions, scared, worried, nervous, anxious, did I make the right choice etc. What if I can't manage without him? I have to go to the local council office tomorrow and state that I'm homeless and hope they can find some place for me to stay. So many thoughts going through my head right now. Wasn't sure which sub section to put this in so sorry if it's in the wrong one. Just freaking out a little.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: WinterFaust, cowbain, Deleted member 17331 and 32 others
kcn2020

kcn2020

Aug 16, 2020
What kind of abuse specifically? If he was physically abusing you, you should also report him to law enforcement, there should be no free pass for those people.

Do you have family and/or friends that could help you temporarily with securing a new place for you to stay? You should be careful not to fall into the circle of homelessness and living out in the streets. I know you may feel plenty of emotions, but please try to focus only on your primary needs: food, shelter and a job.

Take care.

Reactions: Ghost2211 and TimeToBiteTheDust
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
It tasks a lot of strength to take that leap. You're awesome a strong! keep on the path of protecting and advocating for yourself.

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Deleted member 18655, BPD Barbie and 1 other person
C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
Of course you can manage without them, the trick an abuser uses is, to make you think you need them.

I imagine you will be put in emergency accommodation?

Reactions: Deleted member 18655, Ghost2211 and kcn2020
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
What kind of abuse specifically? If he was physically abusing you, you should also report him to law enforcement, there should be no free pass for those people.

Do you have family and/or friends that could help you temporarily with securing a new place for you to stay? You should be careful not to fall into the circle of homelessness and living out in the streets. I know you may feel plenty of emotions, but please try to focus only on your primary needs: food, shelter and a job.

Take care.
It wasn't physical but extreme emotional, financial, psychological, gas lighting etc. I will be going to my mothers (which sucks as they were my childhood abusers) until Monday then going to the local housing office.

Of course you can manage without them, the trick an abuser uses is, to make you think you need them.

I imagine you will be put in emergency accommodation?

I think so, well I hope so. My psychiatrist has written a letter stating I'm fleeing as a victim of abuse, she said they usually find you somewhere quite fast.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: RicRac, Meditation guide, kcn2020 and 5 others
T

TimeToBiteTheDust

Visionary
Nov 7, 2019
I'm so sorry for what you're going through. Please if you have a close friend you trust call them and ask for help or a family member. Hope you can overcome this difficult time. You're kind and don't deserve this. I support kcn2020 idea of reporting your abuser. Be strong.

• Love
Reactions: cowbain, BPD Barbie, Deleted member 18655 and 1 other person
VIBRITANNIA

VIBRITANNIA

lelouch. any pronouns. pfp is by pixiv id 3217872.
Aug 10, 2020
i'm glad that you took that step of courage and did what was best. like others have said, i think you should report him (if you feel like you can do that) so that he can't hurt anybody else. wishing you the best!

• Love
Reactions: BPD Barbie, Deleted member 18655, Ghost2211 and 1 other person
C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
It wasn't physical but extreme emotional, financial, psychological, gas lighting etc. I will be going to my mothers (which sucks as they were my childhood abusers) until Monday then going to the local housing office.

I think so, well I hope so. My psychiatrist has written a letter stating I'm fleeing as a victim of abuse, she said they usually find you somewhere quite fast.

*fingers crossed* that sounds promising then, good luck too you :)

Reactions: Deleted member 18655
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
It is scary to take a step toward the unknown. From what you've written here and before, what you were experiencing with him became less tolerable than the unknown. You used your power, and now that some of it has been spent, it's natural that the doubts and fears come in. I hope you get the support you need and that you can tolerate this period of not knowing until you get to a place of refuge and stability.

I know how challenging it is to keep going when there is the lure of the slot machine that the abuser will get better or more capable or more live-withable. It may not be the same for you, but I know what it's like to see the potential in an abuser that they just don't meet, rather than seeing them exactly as they are through their consistent actions and to focus instead on the potential in the self to get free and to be self-sufficient. To stop wanting them to get better for my own wishes and convenience, and instead to get better myself to serve my own well-being.

You made the huge first step, and sometimes the smaller steps to continue forward and leave the abuser behind are even more challenging to stay with in order to follow through. I'm dealing with that right now, years away from their influence, and there was recently another aggressive little poke from them, and I'm on that line between trying once again to have an impact on their actions or to keep moving forward and away from them, and let them deal with the consequences of their own shit rather than trying to give them lenses to see the harm they are doing to themselves and wide-reaching impacts it has. What works best for me is to return to the books that helped me in the first place, Boundaries, In Sheep's Clothing, and most of the books by Nancy Evans, and also what has since added to my strength, Stoic writings and the Buddhist texts about defensiveness (the dark chain of causation) and the roots of violence and oppression. The ones that added to my strength I sometimes want to show to the abusers about how what they do is so harmful, so I return to the first texts that helped me break contact and showed me why it's necessary.

Another thing that helps me is to journal here on the forum whenever I feel lured to do something for them or with them as the focus, such as writing a suicide note or responding to the latest aggression against my boundaries when they've historically proven they don't hear me no matter how clearly I communicate. Just as I get support from the books, I get support here. Folks have a strong fuck you response to my parents' actions and sometimes dehumanize them, which I find challenging, but they also remind me that their actions are utter shit and that I need to focus on myself, which was not the norm for me; everything I did was (to them) about them, even when it wasn't, and I was conditioned to defend myself to brick walls and to soothe them. It's hard to break free of that, but with the efforts I've made in connecting with such external supports, I'm moving forward in spite of the discomfort and experiencing small rewards that accumulate into great ones. It takes a first brave step to make that happen. Mine was calling out abuse, as I'd done before, and demanding they take responsibility, which I hadn't done before, and which they rejected, as well as rejected me. They rejected my forgiveness, too, because they refuse to accept they were abusive. And because of that boldness, I am more and more free of them and their insanity and free to define myself and act with myself as the focus. I hope similar benefits for you if that is what you seek. For me, I can say that it has definitely been worth all the effort. I'm not a Christian, but I find value in the wisdom of Jesus's statement, "What benefit to gain the whole world if you lose your very self?"

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: checkouttime, Joey, TimeToBiteTheDust and 1 other person
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
Change can be scary even when its a positive one, sometimes we stay in bad circumstances because its what we know. Brave of you to make the change and i really hope life gets better. Any life free from abuse has to be better xx
It is scary to take a step toward the unknown. From what you've written here and before, what you were experiencing with him became less tolerable than the unknown. You used your power, and now that some of it has been spent, it's natural that the doubts and fears come in. I hope you get the support you need and that you can tolerate this period of not knowing until you get to a place of refuge and stability.

I know how challenging it is to keep going when there is the lure of the slot machine that the abuser will get better or more capable or more live-withable. It may not be the same for you, but I know what it's like to see the potential in an abuser that they just don't meet, rather than seeing them exactly as they are through their consistent actions and to focus instead on the potential in the self to get free and to be self-sufficient. To stop wanting them to get better for my own wishes and convenience, and instead to get better myself to serve my own well-being.

You made the huge first step, and sometimes the smaller steps to continue forward and leave the abuser behind are even more challenging to stay with in order to follow through. I'm dealing with that right now, years away from their influence, and there was recently another aggressive little poke from them, and I'm on that line between trying once again to have an impact on their actions or to keep moving forward and away from them, and let them deal with the consequences of their own shit rather than trying to give them lenses to see the harm they are doing to themselves and wide-reaching impacts it has. What works best for me is to return to the books that helped me in the first place, Boundaries, In Sheep's Clothing, and most of the books by Nancy Evans, and also what has since added to my strength, Stoic writings and the Buddhist texts about defensiveness (the dark chain of causation) and the roots of violence and oppression. The ones that added to my strength I sometimes want to show to the abusers about how what they do is so harmful, so I return to the first texts that helped me break contact and showed me why it's necessary.

Another thing that helps me is to journal here on the forum whenever I feel lured to do something for them or with them as the focus, such as writing a suicide note or responding to the latest aggression against my boundaries when they've historically proven they don't hear me no matter how clearly I communicate. Just as I get support from the books, I get support here. Folks have a strong fuck you response to my parents' actions and sometimes dehumanize them, which I find challenging, but they also remind me that their actions are utter shit and that I need to focus on myself, which was not the norm for me; everything I did was (to them) about them, even when it wasn't, and I was conditioned to defend myself to brick walls and to soothe them. It's hard to break free of that, but with the efforts I've made in connecting with such external supports, I'm moving forward in spite of the discomfort and experiencing small rewards that accumulate into great ones. It takes a first brave step to make that happen. Mine was calling out abuse, as I'd done before, and demanding they take responsibility, which I hadn't done before, and which they rejected, as well as rejected me. They rejected my forgiveness, too, because they refuse to accept they were abusive. And because of that boldness, I am more and more free of them and their insanity and free to define myself and act with myself as the focus. I hope similar benefits for you if that is what you seek. For me, I can say that it has definitely been worth all the effort. I'm not a Christian, but I find value in the wisdom of Jesus's statement, "What benefit to gain the whole world if you lose your very self?"
Apologies GPE i wrote mine before i knew you posted and you explain these things so much better imo.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: checkouttime, BPD Barbie and GoodPersonEffed
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
@GoodPersonEffed thank you for that message, especially the quote at the end about losing yourself. For a long time I've tried to see good in him as I try and see good in everyone and forgive their flaws and errors. But there comes a point where I'm losing myself and its driving me to suicide. My psychiatrist told me yesterday I was worth more than this and I don't owe him my life. I know it's gonna be hard and God am I scared of it but I couldn't take much more here. Today I was only something small but it was enough to snap me.

Thank you everyone for your kind words. Just gotta get through the initial hard part and remember I don't owe him anything, least of all my sanity.

• Love
Reactions: RicRac, Notmadeforthislife, Ghost2211 and 4 others
bravotess

bravotess

I'ma jump ship now before I sink slow
Aug 8, 2020
What you did is incredibly brave. If you can take that step off the ledge you can do anything. You are a strong, smart, self-respecting woman. I hope today starts a wonderful new chapter in your life. A chapter filled with joy and love and peace and freedom. Good luck!

• Love
Reactions: cowbain, Deleted member 4993, GoodPersonEffed and 2 others
Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
Before anything take a moment to really appreciate yourself here; you've taken a big and very difficult step, so massively well done and I hope this removes some stress from your life. An abusive relationship can batter a person's mental health, so this could have a very positive impact.

It's normal to be scared in spite of the positivity. You've just made a big change to the way your life currently works and it will take time to adjust to it. It's going to be difficult at first to imagine day-to-day routine without having that partner there to interact with and support you in a practical sense, but at a time like this reaching out to other friends can be a huge help. Don't try to climb out of this alone.

As for the fact that you've now lost your home, that is going to be hard. Hopefully you can find accommodation through the council, and again if you have anyone that can help you through this be sure to ask for the help.

Good luck, we're all supporting you here!

• Love
Reactions: BPD Barbie
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
Regret is starting to surface. Feeling so anxious and on edge still. I know deep down its the right thing to do, I know it but my mind wants to go running back and scream the word sorry to him over and over.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: Brackenshire, RicRac, Notmadeforthislife and 2 others
bravotess

bravotess

Aug 8, 2020
Regret is starting to surface. Feeling so anxious and on edge still. I know deep down its the right thing to do, I know it but my mind wants to go running back and scream the word sorry to him over and over.
You should at least give it a few days. How did you feel that he took you leaving so well?

Reactions: Deleted member 4993
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
You should at least give it a few days. How did you feel that he took you leaving so well?
He was surprisingly fine with it. But maybe it's because I stood up to him and told him that I wasn't gonna deal with how he treats me any more. Maybe he just doesn't care, I don't know. He didn't seem overly bothered.

• Hugs
Reactions: TimeToBiteTheDust
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
The book Boundaries talks about wanting to back down once one has established a boundary, and recommends for support returning to the program that helped to establish the boundary in the first place, and getting support from others to maintain it when in the space of wanting to go back on it.

What got you to the point that you were able to leave?

bravotess

bravotess

Aug 8, 2020
He was surprisingly fine with it. But maybe it's because I stood up to him and told him that I wasn't gonna deal with how he treats me any more. Maybe he just doesn't care, I don't know. He didn't seem overly bothered.
Have you left before? Could it be that he "knows" you'll be back? Did it hurt that he wasn't more hurt?
I hope he's sitting there, looking around his empty house, realizing the errors of his ways. Realizing what he's lost. I'd give him a few days, with no communication, so he has time to think about what he lost. If it turns out wherever you end up is worse than being with him, then go back. But you owe yourself a chance to make it work alone.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993
W

Worthless_nobody

Enlightened
Feb 14, 2019
As someone who has been in your position and it took me 4 years to finally leave my abuser it's definitely the for the best. It's so so hard to do. I know so well... everyone always said "just leave"... It's not that simple and easy. There is a lot of emotion and it's scary but hopefully this can bring positive changes to your life. I left and went back and back and back...stay strong lots of abusers will pull you back in with lies like mine did. Wishing you the best ❤️

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Ghost2211, BPD Barbie and 2 others
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
The book Boundaries talks about wanting to back down once one has established a boundary, and recommends for support returning to the program that helped to establish the boundary in the first place, and getting support from others to maintain it when in the space of wanting to go back on it.

What got you to the point that you were able to leave?
I'd been thinking about it for a while, trying to make plans, get the courage etc. Today an argument broke out over the stupidest of things, like always it's me speaking out of turn and I just snapped. Stood up for myself and before I knew it I was packing things into my car. I think I was fuelled on adrenaline which has now subsided into regret.

Have you left before? Could it be that he "knows" you'll be back? Did it hurt that he wasn't more hurt?
I hope he's sitting there, looking around his empty house, realizing the errors of his ways. Realizing what he's lost. I'd give him a few days, with no communication, so he has time to think about what he lost. If it turns out wherever you end up is worse than being with him, then go back. But you owe yourself a chance to make it work alone.
I left once at the very start of the relationship but ended up coming back.

• Hugs
Reactions: GoodPersonEffed and TimeToBiteTheDust
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
I'd been thinking about it for a while, trying to make plans, get the courage etc. Today an argument broke out over the stupidest of things, like always it's me speaking out of turn and I just snapped. Stood up for myself and before I knew it I was packing things into my car. I think

Maybe you can get some foundational support to return to, then. For me, Boundaries is the "program" that really gave me the foundational values, and I can return to it whenever I feel like caving. There are others, like CODA and AL-Anon. And anything that supported you in your recovery from your parents' abuse that taught you their treatment was wrong and that you have value and rights to your boundaries and autonomy.

C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
I don't owe him anything

you hit the nail on the head with that one :smiling: Also when you say he took it well....i guarentee its eating away at him.its just an act to make you think he doesn't care(probably expecting you to go back), he didn't expect this and won't know how to cope with it. I was with someone for years and when i finally left it blew them away, and although i wasn't out for revenge i knew i had got a 'little' of my own back.

there's nothing to regret about wanting/deserving to be treated properly and not abused in any way, shape or form. you have nothing to be sorry about, stop blaming yourself.you have done nothing wrong, you only think that because he has made you think like that.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BPD Barbie
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
He's now crying and saying he doesn't wanna lose me. Is it an act? Does he mean it? Is he just playing with my emotions?

Deleted member 19654

Deleted member 19654

Working towards recovery.
Jul 9, 2020
He's now crying and saying he doesn't wanna lose me. Is it an act? Does he mean it? Is he just playing with my emotions?
Sorry to just jump into the conversation. You've mentioned that he is emotionally abusive, he gaslights etc and I think this could be an example of that.

Reactions: cowbain, BPD Barbie and GoodPersonEffed
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020

1. He is a gaslighter.

2. He is hoovering for more supply.

3. If he didn't want to lose you, he would have changed long ago.

4. His consistent actions reveal his intentions toward you and his character, not words and tears in a moment.

5. If he were trustworthy with your heart, you wouldn't have been calling him an abuser and you wouldn't have been planning to leave.

Reactions: checkouttime, cowbain, Worthless_nobody and 6 others
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
1. He is a gaslighter.

2. He is hoovering for more supply.

3. If he didn't want to lose you, he would have changed long ago.

4. His consistent actions reveal his intentions toward you and his character, not words and tears in a moment.

5. If he were trustworthy with your heart, you wouldn't have been calling him an abuser and you wouldn't have been planning to leave.
You're so right. I just need to hang on and be strong. Don't back down or fall into the trap. Thank you.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: checkouttime, Deleted member 1465, RicRac and 4 others
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
My ex Is a narcissist. The exact same thing happened. The abusive behavior stops Once you stand up for yourself, then they will let you leave with little to no fuss, then they will come crying back saying you're the only thing in the world that would make them happy and they really love you. It's not entirely an act. The abuser becomes dependent on the person they are abusing, but it will just bring you back into the cycle of pain. Keep walking away.

Reactions: Meditation guide, AnotherBrick and BPD Barbie
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
You're so right. I just need to hang on and be strong. Don't back down or fall into the trap. Thank you.

:heart:

Go no contact so he can't fuck with your mind!

Reactions: Worthless_nobody and AnotherBrick
AnotherBrick

AnotherBrick

Jun 25, 2020

Also just jumping in, but as someone who also experienced heavy emotional abuse from my ex fiance, I'm keen to say yes - he IS playing with your emotions. I don't know your case, but mine used guilt as his primary weapon. It was so engrained in me that it took a family member to step in and cut off contact on my behalf after I made some preparations to CBT.

I wasn't even strong enough to leave by myself. So already, you're doing quite fantastic. And unfortunately not everyone will have someone who can help them like that. Keep on and stay strong. Recovery will take a long time, but it's time very well spent.

I highly recommend just taking what you need and cutting contact ASAP. The more he can talk to you, the more of a chance he has to manipulate and gaslight. Don't give him that opportunity.

Reactions: Worthless_nobody and GoodPersonEffed
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
The abuser becomes dependent on the person they are abusing, but it will just bring you back into the cycle of pain.
In my experience once you leave, then return when they seem like they have changed and will be nice, that is when the REAL abuse happens. Do not ever go back or you will get it even worse than you could imagine.

Reactions: Worthless_nobody, AnotherBrick and Ghost2211