T

tonykp

Nov 16, 2022
I just read a forum thread about the most suicidal jobs, in the sense which jobs tend to end up high on the lists of suicide victims.
Police officers, soldiers, doctors, nurses, prostitutes, financial service workers.

I wonder what jobs are at the another end of the scale. Any guess?

My guesses are garden designer, astronomer, museums curator... Can you name any jobs that are even less stressful?

Reactions: sserafim
jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
DJing once you have enough work

Reactions: sserafim, Thánatos. and OldDrummer
Z

Zaljko

Oct 17, 2019
Librarian - but good luck getting a job in that field.

I got a masters in library and information science from the 3rd best library school in the country with a 3.889 GPA and can't even get job interviews, so now I have a job where I deal with people all the time and it stresses me out to the the point where I basically have constant suicidal ideation (it's a comfort because it's the only control I have over this shitty, absolutely awful career that I ended up in).

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Grav, onlyanimalsaregood, hungry_ghost and 1 other person
N

never mind me

Student
Nov 7, 2022
I don't really know. And you also have to take into acoount that it might not be the stress level of a job that makes the difference, but some jobs having higher suicide rates can also be due to stuff like availability of means for suicide (like certain medications for doctors and nurses, guns for soldiers), self selection of people for certain jobs (for example people who suffered sexual abuse are more likely to work as prostitutes than people who didn't while being a victim of sexual abuse makes it also more likely to become mentally ill later in life which in turn can be a reason to commit suicide).

Reactions: sserafim and freedomcalls
Rounded Apathy

Rounded Apathy

Longing to return to stardust
Aug 8, 2022
Doesn't it depend on the person? You could hate a job I love, and vice versa. Whatever promotes well-being for a given individual would be protective. Neutral work probably has little effect.

I got a masters in library and information science from the 3rd best library school in the country with a 3.889 GPA and can't even get job interviews
Oh man...this is a vocation I think I'd really enjoy and do well in, so this is sad to read. Would relocation be a worthwile strategy, or have you already tried/considered it?

goodnighttime

goodnighttime

Nov 18, 2022
Engineering maybe? School is tough but the jobs from what I've seen are very comfortable. Aside from that, probably careers that have the highest satisfaction rate too

Reactions: sserafim and Celerity
theboy

theboy

Illuminated
Jul 15, 2022
marketing
audiovisual communicator
film director
orchestra conductor
🤔

Z

Zaljko

Oct 17, 2019
Hey - yeah I had applied all around the country but after hundreds of applications and getting nowhere I had to re-assess and ended up just getting a different degree and going in another direction (which I hate).

So now I hate every day of my job which of course doesn't exactly help my SI. But then again if you're not good at math and science forget having a job that you like or where you can avoid dealing with people ….

Reactions: sserafim
hopelessdreams

hopelessdreams

life and its opposite
Mar 1, 2022
teacher (if you like working with kids)

Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
That sucks you are going through that. I had heard about that when I got my history degree (one of the jobs they say "you can get" with it).

Least suicidal jobs, Rounded Apathy has it: one that you actually like to do and find fulfilling. I don't think IT is it, sure there's lots of $$ to be made but you pay a price for it.