Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
Yeah, this is a real normie complaint here, but damn. I don't ride the moral high horse about laziness often, and I even respect laziness sometimes because life really demands too fucking much from us, but I do have a bit of a problem when your laziness directly makes life difficult for other people.

Anybody who has worked retail knows that the closing shift gets shafted with work. Every little task that wasn't completed earlier in the day gets left to you, so those happy MFs who work a steady 8-5 leave right on the dot every day when you have to stay 1-2 hours later just to get the bare minimum done. It's been so frustrating lately.

I don't mind working hard, but it's difficult not to get discouraged when you're busting your ass and everyone else is slacking.

I work in a food service area, and the shit my coworkers try to get away with is honestly disgusting. I don't know how they can stand letting the food get this bad and the work area this dirty. My shift mostly consists of throwing a lot of stale product out and cleaning like a madwoman. Some of the stories I can tell would probably make you guys puke, and you would never buy food at my store again.

• Hugs
  • Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: BitterlyAlive_, actual_fox, Life_and_Death and 2 others
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
Anybody who has worked retail knows that the closing shift gets shafted with work. Every little task that wasn't completed earlier in the day gets left to you, so those happy MFs who work a steady 8-5 leave right on the dot every day when you have to stay 1-2 hours later just to get the bare minimum done. It's been so frustrating lately.

One problem could be that their work contract only encompasses those nine hours, and there may be no clause that says that the employees will earn extra by staying on and doing the extra work required. If so, I would blame the Human Resources department.

It would also be interesting to know what the CEO earns, but I'm guessing that's none of the employees' business, even though the employees' free time seems to be the business of the CEO.

I don't understand that it can be hard to be one of the truly diligent employees in such an environment, but as I see it, something's wrong the the employees' work contracts.

Last edited:
Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
One problem could be that their work contract only encompasses those nine hours, and there may be no clause that says that the employees will earn extra by staying on and doing the extra work required. If so, I would blame the Human Resources department.

It would also be interesting to know what the CEO earns, but I'm guessing that's none of the employees' business, even though the employees' free time seems to be the business of the CEO.

I don't understand that it can be hard to be one of the truly diligent employees in such an environment, but as I see it, something's wrong the the employees' work contracts.
They don't have contracts and can stay as long as management requires. Are you from Europe? I am talking about the USA.

In either case, I have worked their shifts before, and I know they can get the work done as I have. They have plenty of time. The same things go incomplete even on slow days with few customers. They also like to stand around a lot and stop really putting effort in around 1-2 hours before their shift ends.

Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
This is unquestionably unacceptable.

How old are those people..?
One is in her 60s. The other is 24-25. I am 29. Our managers are in their mid-30s/early 40s.

J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
One is in her 60s. The other is 24-25. I am 29. Our managers are in their mid-30s/early 40s.

Have you confronted your colleagues about this..? If you have and they don't care, the next step could be to talk to the manager.

Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
Have you confronted your colleagues about this..? If you have and they don't care, the next step could be to talk to the manager.
I'm the new person there and am wary of rocking the boat. It is extremely hard to get fired in my company, and I think it has made them complacent. I would care a lot less if our decisions couldn't lead to people getting food poisoning.

J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
I'm the new person there and am wary of rocking the boat. It is extremely hard to get fired in my company, and I think it has made them complacent. I would care a lot less if our decisions couldn't lead to people getting food poisoning.

Then that's a tough situation. I'm not really sure what you could do - perhaps you could tell a white lie to your manager and say that customer have complained about an untidy food environment, but that could also put yourself in the firing line.

...or create a fake e-mail address that can't be traced to you, and write an e-mail to your manager and say that you have seen staff just standing around instead of providing great service, and then you make sure to always be working hard in case your manager comes around to see who's really being lazy.

Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
Then that's a tough situation. I'm not really sure what you could do - perhaps you could tell a white lie to your manager and say that customer have complained about an untidy food environment, but that could also put yourself in the firing line.

...or create a fake e-mail address that can't be traced to you, and write an e-mail to your manager and say that you have seen staff just standing around instead of providing great service, and then you make sure to always be working hard in case your manager comes around to see who's really being lazy.
I will eventually have to say something. One of the managers has really taken a shine to me. If the topic comes up, I will be sure to tell her. She has praised me before for being fastidious with the food safety before. This is hilarious to me because I would never describe myself that way and feel like I am doing the bare minimum as a decent human, lol.

J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
I will eventually have to say something. One of the managers has really taken a shine to me. If the topic comes up, I will be sure to tell her. She has praised me before for being fastidious with the food safety before. This is hilarious to me because I would never describe myself that way and feel like I am doing the bare minimum as a decent human, lol.

Great work! Being a good worker takes more of an energy output for those who aren't as fastidious as you, compared to actually diligent people, which is probably the reason you are feeling that you are "just working" :wink:

• Love
Reactions: Celerity