TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I can't even describe how infuriating this really is! As if people aren't oppressed enough, lawmakers wish to add more insult to suffering! 😡😠

See this news articles here:
https://oregoncapitalchronicle.com/...publican-support-for-988-suicide-hotline-tax/

https://www.wyomingnewsnow.tv/2023/02/14/lawmakers-look-988-suicide-prevention-bill/

Granted that while most of us here would never use this, and it wouldn't really bother us much, the fact that government and the State is thinking this is a good idea is heading towards a bad direction. Sure, some can argue that the number has saved those who are impulsive, but the fact that people are getting taxed even more on top of potential detainment, hospitalization (and the bills that result from such a stay), and violation of dignity, human rights, is abominable.

I would also add that the dreadful number will not help anyone who is determined to CTB and has already made up their mind, aka those who are chronically wishing to CTB. Instead, it only serves as a nuisance towards those who wish to find peace from suffering in this hellish world. Who knows what is next in the future? I think this only furthers my resolve to check out of this shitty, hellish world.

What are your thoughts on this?

• Love
Reactions: settheory, Unending, Forever Sleep and 1 other person
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I don't know really... no one is forcing anyone to call it after all. Presumably people who do call do in some way want help. Plus- why are people shocked when the person on the other end tries to prevent them from taking their life- when it is a suicide prevention hotline? I've never really been able to get my head around that. Like- what do they expect?

I guess it's just another push towards being a pro-life society which I kind of cringe at- but- that's me. I feel sure of what I want and I don't think anything out there could 'help' me- I'm not even interested in trying.

I think some people might feel differently- maybe they still want to try. They ought to be given good quality help when they reach out for it. If the money goes towards better training/ counselling skills- maybe that would be a good thing. I guess it just depends on what the money is going towards. If it's just going towards more of what we already have- which seems to be to forcibly incarcerate people the moment they hint at suicide (at least in the US,) then- no- that doesn't sound good!

Problem is- I don't really know what the solutions are... I guess SOME people can be 'helped'. Some may go on to be grateful for it. They OUGHT to be given that help- the same as we ought to assist anyone in our communities who are in need and request help. All that costs money- so- I guess they would increase taxes to get it.

It's just the knock on effect though I suppose that feels worrying- will it be a case of: Well- there's no excuse for anyone to commit suicide now- because we've given you all these magical helplines that will take away all your worries... That sounds more likely to me rather than providing better assistance to those who need it AND want it and leaving the rest of us alone!

Reactions: TAW122
SilentSadness

SilentSadness

Sitting in the darkness.
Feb 28, 2023
I don't know really... no one is forcing anyone to call it after all. Presumably people who do call do in some way want help. Plus- why are people shocked when the person on the other end tries to prevent them from taking their life- when it is a suicide prevention hotline? I've never really been able to get my head around that. Like- what do they expect
I disagree, the hotlines know they don't help anyone and they are regarded as the ultimate solution for all problems despite being completely underwhelming. It's insulting to have such lackluster services forced upon us, and even those who want to live are not helped by these scams. Searching the topic of suicide will give you the hotline number in every result, so it's difficult not to fall into the trap of calling them, I certainly have in the past. I have even heard people say they were threatened with psychiatric confinement if they don't call these numbers. The fact that they want to create more ways of making money out of suffering people is disgusting.

Reactions: Tmbass, settheory, Rogue Proxy and 4 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I read on here about someone receiving a visit from the police after calling the 988 suicide hotline number, it's certainly best avoided calling that unless someone wants to suffer more. Suicide hotlines are useless anyway and I hate how people push the idea of them acting like they are some kind of "solution", when the reality is that there is no real relief from suffering in this world.

Reactions: painfulwords, Rogue Proxy, settheory and 3 others
NoLoveNoHope

NoLoveNoHope

Mage
Mar 25, 2023
I overall dislike these hotlines even when I was "pro-life" I thought they weren't helpful. The stories about involuntary hospital stays after people who decided why not? I have nothing left to lose just seem awful. Why would I want to give up my own RIGHTS? If I wanted to die, I want to die.

I never once called an actual phone number, I did try a texting service via a website and after a 20 minute wait I gave up. I don't live in the US but I'd think the presumably millions going to a bunch of over-worked and under-qualified workers instead of providing proper help for these people is the wrong decision.

Hopefully it helps the poor workers who work at the hotlines since I've heard it's one of the worst jobs to actually work at.

Archness

Archness

Defective Personel
Jan 20, 2023
Honestly I feel like we're moving in a direction where society goes "mask off" and allows you to ctb, but ONLY if you're "useless" to society. If you can work and get your value extracted they'll deny and demand you just be happy with the cut you get,

Truely a dyspopia, atleast some would have the option to leave.

U

Unending

Enlightened
Nov 5, 2022
Well they have never offered any profound or meaningful help to me or anyone who I've talked to. If they help some people, then I guess the cost could be justified as long as it strictly goes to funding the service but these hotlines really do just seem like logically they aren't very effective. I think they seem more likely to help someone who is generally well adjusted and is having a one off crisis as opposed to someone like me who is chronically mentally ill.

I just wish that science could advance sooner than later to provide actual effective treatments for those with what doctors call treatment resistant depression but I fear what that process will look like as it seems to just be a lot of trial and error experimental treatments on desperate suffering people. But yeah, I guess it's pretty aggravating to see what looks like another instance of suicidal people being charged for an ineffective attempt at making them not feel like shit. My family and I have just poured so much money into treatment thus far that anything of this nature seems messed up in a way. I guess that'd be the criticism I have for it.

Also, I do just get really pissed off the more I think about the fact that even those who have tried all the treatments and still feel like death aren't allowed a dignified death or even to have family members or loved ones there with them while they go peacefully. This just adds to the fire when I see all this ineffective stuff and suicide prevention being pushed on everyone as if there is no difference between someone who thought they wanted to die for a few hours one time in their whole life vs. someone who has been being psychologically tortured by their brain for years begging to die.

Ugh... I'd be a lot less pissed if I wrote out an "I agree to be legally bound to 70 years of life" contract at birth but I did not do that.

I think I went a little off topic but oh well.

Last edited:
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
It's just the knock on effect though I suppose that feels worrying- will it be a case of: Well- there's no excuse for anyone to commit suicide now- because we've given you all these magical helplines that will take away all your worries... That sounds more likely to me rather than providing better assistance to those who need it AND want it and leaving the rest of us alone!
Indeed, that would certainly be a naive way for the masses to approach or see our situation. We want to permanently solve our problems, or if it isn't solvable (or that there is no acceptable solution to the sufferer), then death should be an option. They shouldn't have to be indefinitely forced to live lives that they don't enjoy nor want.

I disagree, the hotlines know they don't help anyone and they are regarded as the ultimate solution for all problems despite being completely underwhelming. It's insulting to have such lackluster services forced upon us, and even those who want to live are not helped by these scams. Searching the topic of suicide will give you the hotline number in every result, so it's difficult not to fall into the trap of calling them, I certainly have in the past. I have even heard people say they were threatened with psychiatric confinement if they don't call these numbers. The fact that they want to create more ways of making money out of suffering people is disgusting.
I have never called one myself, and especially after hearing all the horror stories of things getting worse, people suffering more, and then society (and their peers) sticking up for such a barbaric system, I have to agree that nothing good comes out of it except prolonged, perpetual suffering.

I read on here about someone receiving a visit from the police after calling the 988 suicide hotline number, it's certainly best avoided calling that unless someone wants to suffer more. Suicide hotlines are useless anyway and I hate how people push the idea of them acting like they are some kind of "solution", when the reality is that there is no real relief from suffering in this world.
Exactly, that's why I have disdain for the number every time I see it being plastered everywhere excessively.

I overall dislike these hotlines even when I was "pro-life" I thought they weren't helpful. The stories about involuntary hospital stays after people who decided why not? I have nothing left to lose just seem awful. Why would I want to give up my own RIGHTS? If I wanted to die, I want to die.

I never once called an actual phone number, I did try a texting service via a website and after a 20 minute wait I gave up. I don't live in the US but I'd think the presumably millions going to a bunch of over-worked and under-qualified workers instead of providing proper help for these people is the wrong decision.

Hopefully it helps the poor workers who work at the hotlines since I've heard it's one of the worst jobs to actually work at.
Agreed and I'm glad I have NEVER called them in my life nor do I plan to do so. It is awful and the wrong decision indeed for government to continue to fund (even additionally fund) money towards a system that doesn't really help the truly suicidal, except for the people who are temporarily going through a crisis.

Honestly I feel like we're moving in a direction where society goes "mask off" and allows you to ctb, but ONLY if you're "useless" to society. If you can work and get your value extracted they'll deny and demand you just be happy with the cut you get,

Truely a dyspopia, atleast some would have the option to leave.
I am hoping that hypothesis is true, because if it is, then I would have some relief knowing that I would be able to be granted CTB when the circumstances are right. What do you mean by "useless" to society? Are you referring to being severely disabled that one is unable, not capable of being productive (whether it be a physical or psychological ailment) or something else? I think that is true, then perhaps I could find a way to become useless (actually in 2018, I tried to apply for disability (for my Aspergers), but got denied disability benefits as it was shown that I was still "useful" to society in some capacity, ironically).

Well they have never offered any profound or meaningful help to me or anyone who I've talked to. If they help some people, then I guess the cost could be justified as long as it strictly goes to funding the service but these hotlines really do just seem like logically they aren't very effective. I think they seem more likely to help someone who is generally well adjusted and is having a one off crisis as opposed to someone like me who is chronically mentally ill.

I just wish that science could advance sooner than later to provide actual effective treatments for those with what doctors call treatment resistant depression but I fear what that process will look like as it seems to just be a lot of trial and error experimental treatments on desperate suffering people. But yeah, I guess it's pretty aggravating to see what looks like another instance of suicidal people being charged for an ineffective attempt at making them not feel like shit. My family and I have just poured so much money into treatment thus far that anything of this nature seems messed up in a way. I guess that'd be the criticism I have for it.

Also, I do just get really pissed off the more I think about the fact that even those who have tried all the treatments and still feel like death aren't allowed a dignified death or even to have family members or loved ones there with them while they go peacefully. This just adds to the fire when I see all this ineffective stuff and suicide prevention being pushed on everyone as if there is no difference between someone who thought they wanted to die for a few hours one time in their whole life vs. someone who has been being psychologically tortured by their brain for years begging to die.

Ugh... I'd be a lot less pissed if I wrote out an "I agree to be legally bound to 70 years of life" contract at birth but I did not do that.

I think I went a little off topic but oh well.
Yeah, what you said is true, these hotlines are only good for those whoa re temporarily going through an acute crisis. As for science advancing further in the future, yeah I share similar sentiments too, it seems to be focused on treating the system (albeit with lots of trial and error, experimental treatments on desperate, suffering people) while still failing to address the underlying causes that bring people into those situations. I also wholeheartly agree that those who have already did more than their fair share of treatments and counseling ARE STILL DENIED the option to a peaceful, dignified death. There should definitely be a clear distinction between someone who is acutely and temporarily suicidal versus someone who has been suffering for years, continuously (chronically) and with little reprieve. The latter definitely deserves a peaceful, dignified exit.

I too would be much less angry as well if I had the ability to enter a contract before conception, but as we know, that is impossible and that (factually speaking) everyone who is alive is alive due to the actions of others. No one alive today chose to be alive, but because others' decide to procreate that resulted in people being born/conceived into this world.

Last edited:
Reactions: Forever Sleep