Nolan96

Nolan96

Mage
Feb 12, 2022
I made the mistake of going on social media again (Twitter).
I never participate, I just scroll until I feel awful and then leave.
I really am getting so sick of laughter.
So much of the content on there seems to follow the same formula. Low-status user tries to say something clever. High-status user responds with the most banal, paint-by-numbers response possible, ie. "lol cringe", crowd goes wild with their lmao's and laughing emojis, low-status user responds, high-status user throws out another thoughtless paint-by-numbers response "lol do you need more copium", the end. It's even worse when it's videos than it is over text.
What bothers me is that I don't think people are just "pretending" to find the idiots funny to fit in. They really are funnier to our lizard brains.
It was the same thing for me in high school. I would laugh at every little thing the high-status dreamy cool boy said, no matter how stupid, to the point where I had to work hard to suppress myself because people were commenting on how much I seemed to be drooling at his every word.
In my workplace, I analyze laughter and it's like clockwork that the people who are "funniest" are just the ones at the top of the pecking order.
Laughter is such a primitive, ugly, bestial hooting sound. Does it exist among apes? I imagine that our ancestors evolved it just as a hierarchy-sorting mechanism and it became more complex as we became more cognitively advanced.
I realize that this whole post basically belongs on the Unpopular Opinions Thread and that in the age of the internet this is pretty high on the list of the most unfashionable opinions you can have.
When I'm in a slightly better place sometimes I even look back on how shiver-down-the-spine disgusted I was by laughter in my lowest moments and think I was being ridiculous. But isn't that just more evidence that I was right? Am I not just "lol cringe"ing at my own pitiful depressed self?
I don't want laughing at other people or at myself to be my way of staying afloat and not feeling so bad about myself. It makes me nauseous. I'd rather just feel plain bad.
I have so much respect for kind, sincere people, and I feel like they're very hard to come by and society doesn't value them very much.
And for the record there are still funny people I'm fond of, including on this site, and I'm not trying to judge or condemn anybody. I'm just venting about how I feel and seeing if anyone else feels similarly.

• Hugs
Reactions: WitheringAway, blueclover_., waitingforrest and 4 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I hate laughter. I hate the sound of it and in general I do not like any form of humour or comedy. To me, it would feel wrong to laugh in a world as horrible as this. My life is constant misery.

• Hugs
Reactions: Astral Storm, blueclover_., waitingforrest and 2 others
W

waitingforrest

Elementalist
Dec 27, 2021
I sometimes feel calling something as cringe is a way of shaming. I often feel more shitty after laughing, it's just a momentary distraction and then reality sets in and I wonder why am I still alive, laughing at pointless things.

I remember back in highschool, kids would laugh at the most pointless things, it wasn't even funny most of the times, it was just a vapid way of getting approval. And it doesn't stop in highschool, the shallow, forced laughter is everywhere.

I avoid social medias and especially Twitter. It's a hive mind that promotes echo chambers and superficial responses. And also avoiding it just to keep myself from losing braincells and getting mad.

I can't help but get amused sometimes, but when it is forced just to validate or conform, it is grating to listen to. The more I spend time on this planet, the less I find things that are funny. Laughter just starts to feel fake.

Reactions: Élégie and Nolan96
littlelungs

littlelungs

Wizard
Oct 21, 2018
I hate those kinds of social media posts and reactions like you described. I'm glad that there are people who are still able to laugh in a world as fucked up as this, and I sure as hell can't relate, but it's just so unoriginal and stupid. I stay away from comment sections because dumb jokes and meme references with a bazillion likes just irritate me (YouTube is particularly bad for this) and I don't have the energy for it. God, I'm such a fucking grump.

Reactions: Nolan96
WitheringAway

WitheringAway

Ima shake the champagne bottle...
Jun 23, 2020
I agree the sound of other people laughing annoys me. Especially at work. The things that are being said aren't even remotely funny by most people's standards.. yet the idiots keep laughing for the sake of the self esteem of the clown.. they have to laugh. It's like it's a kind of embarrassment for the joker if you don't laugh at their jokes. I guess one of the reasons I'm hated is that I don't laugh at their stupid jokes. When I'm in deep thinking process doing an important work I'll just put on my noise cancellation AirPod and listen to music and block everything else cus their gibberish is exhausting to listen to

Reactions: Nolan96
rationaltake

rationaltake

I'm rocking it - in another universe
Sep 28, 2021
I hate laughter. I hate the sound of it and in general I do not like any form of humour or comedy. To me, it would feel wrong to laugh in a world as horrible as this. My life is constant misery.
It must be awful to be in this position.

• Love
Reactions: GentleJerk