M

MariV

Arcanist
Sep 13, 2020
i dont know if its called that way in english. its a legal document in which you state that you dont want to get your life prolonged by artificial means.

i feel relieved now that i wont have to live horrible situations in the hospital.

just an idea for you all

• Hugs
Reactions: Salt, Antigonish, http-410 and 3 others
Deleted member 19654

Deleted member 19654

Working towards recovery.
Jul 9, 2020
Did you sign one? I believe we call it a DNR or do not resuscitate order.

Reactions: Chupacabra 44
http-410

http-410

nowhere
Sep 12, 2020
I think these documents are important even if you don't plan to catch the bus. Something unexpected can always happen.

In the worst case, you could fall down the stairs and end up as a vegetable and your relatives must decide what happens to you. I don't want that.

I have already filled them out.

• Love
Reactions: Salt and Chupacabra 44
M

MariV

Arcanist
Sep 13, 2020
I think these documents are important even if you don't plan to catch the bus. Something unexpected can always happen.

In the worst case, you could fall down the stairs and end up as a vegetable and your relatives must decide what happens to you. I don't want that.

I have already filled them out.
indeed...but talking about this kind of stuff is taboo and then when the misfortune happens is unluckily too late.i wish wr had better laws for this
Did you sign one? I believe we call it a DNR or do not resuscitate order.
ye. btw i wonder if these tatoos on the forearm ive seen sometimes where "do not connect" are valid

Last edited:
D

deathangel34

Aug 22, 2020
i have 2 in1.. i have a document that should protect me from being brought to a mental institution. At the same time i wrote down some rules for medical cases like brain death ,organ donation ect.

Reactions: Secrets1
M

Mischievous

Sep 10, 2020
Just as a heads up depending on where you live a DNR is ignored by paramedics. In canada my grandfather had a DNR and had a heart attack and the paramedics still attempted to gave him CPR despite my grandmother trying to show them the order. They apologized profusely after to my grandmother but explained that by law they had to still do it despite the order. He was dead dead so it didn't work but it could have on someone else.

Reactions: LonelyNick
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
It's also called a "living will." A "last will" is different, and only valid upon your death.

Reactions: WastedSpace
J

JustLosingMyself

Mage
Sep 4, 2018
A DNR is always ignored by paramedics. It does not apply in an emergency situation. Even if you tattoo it on your chest they will ignore it.

• Love
Reactions: Chupacabra 44
Giraffey

Giraffey

Your Orange Crush
Mar 7, 2020
As far as I'm aware, in England at least:

A "last will" or "last will and testament" governs the distribution of your wealth and assets after death.
A "living will" is a legal document that governs the treatment you consent to receive or decline in advance in the event you lack the capacity to make that decision in future.
A "dnr" or "do not resuscitate" is an order issued by a doctor (with or without your consent) instructing medics not to perform CPR or resuscitation. These usually only apply in a hospital environment.

All of these orders can be challenged through the courts, for example, if there are doubts as to your mental capacity at the time of making the orders.

Reactions: DyingAlf and Wisdom3_1-9
Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

If boredom were a CTB method, I would be long gone
Sep 13, 2020
I think in the states we have Advanced Directives. I need to look into this too. I'm going to search on line to obtain a free boiler plate document.....

Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

If boredom were a CTB method, I would be long gone
Sep 13, 2020
A DNR is always ignored by paramedics. It does not apply in an emergency situation. Even if you tattoo it on your chest they will ignore it.

Absolutely, 100% agree. These items come into play when one is comatose in the hospital and the decision is being made whether or not to pull the plug, for example. And, not during "the heat of the battle" involving first-responders.

Sinkinshyp

Sinkinshyp

Paragon
Sep 7, 2020

Where I live you give a copy of your DNR to doc, hospital and keep the 3rd on your fridge. You also get a small one for your wallet. If paramedics ignore your DNR you can sue. I have one from my doc due to my emphysema and not wanting to stick around should my lungs fail again. I was going ot put my DNR in the hotel on a table so they knew dont touch me. They cannot perform CPR on me. Now if I am out of my county where it isn't recorded than they wont know unless look in wallett like in an accident

Last edited:
J

JustLosingMyself

Mage
Sep 4, 2018
Where I live you give a copy of your DNR to doc, hospital and keep the 3rd on your fridge. You also get a small one for your wallet. If paramedics ignore your DNR you can sue. I have one from my doc due to my emphysema and not wanting to stick around should my lungs fail again. I was going ot put my DNR in the hotel on a table so they knew dont touch me. They cannot perform CPR on me. Now if I am out of my county where it isn't recorded than they wont know unless look in wallett like in an accident
Good for you, though I highly doubt it is the case.
When they arrive they're required to ask permission to assist you.
If you're unconscious consent is implied.

Expecting/requiring first responders to go through your wallet/belongings to ascertain whether or not you have a valid DNR in an emergency situation is a danger to the public.

While you may sue them if you're so inclined, you more than likely will be wasting everyone's time and resources in doing so and will likely lose. I'm curious to see that tested in court.

On the other hand if you're conscious when they arrive and clearly state that you refuse their help they -in theory- can't touch you. That would be assault.

Sinkinshyp

Sinkinshyp

Paragon
Sep 7, 2020
Here because it's recorded and you put on fridge- in the house they have to check the fridge. When they call your name in it gets reported DNR on file. While they may initially provide assistance in an emergency and I'm unable to speak when they call en route to er with the photo id in my purse- they learn DNR on file and must stop everything.