S

Schopenhauer

Enlightened
Oct 3, 2018
I'm trying to choose a movie to watch on Friday evening, the day before I ctb. I'm open to suggestions. Preferably something sad, but not romantic.

Reactions: Lizzie S., Deafsn0w, IwasElla and 4 others
throwaway777

throwaway777

一人、部屋で、独り。
Oct 3, 2018
lost in traslation .. it's not a love story, not the classic romantic film .. you can laugh, you can cry... it's deep .. it's slow in a way u can really enjoy it .. the colors , the places, the music are perfect .. u d love to get lost in japan with bob and charlotte

Reactions: Deafsn0w, Circles, IwasElla and 3 others
Midnight

Midnight

Beyond solace
Jun 30, 2018
lost in traslation .. it's not a love story, not the classic romantic film .. you can laugh, you can cry... it's deep .. it's slow in a way u can really enjoy it .. the colors , the places, the music are perfect .. u d love to get lost in japan with bob and charlotte

ccc09ab6f2f436ba1a4c72e709b92519.jpg

Reactions: Deafsn0w, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, IwasElla and 1 other person
Dani Paradox

Dani Paradox

Permanently Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Vanilla Sky or The Butterfly Effect

Reactions: Lizzie S., Deafsn0w, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
S

Schopenhauer

Enlightened
Oct 3, 2018

With Bill Murray? I'm liking it already. Strong contender.

Reactions: Deafsn0w, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, IwasElla and 1 other person
TheLastTrip

TheLastTrip

Experienced
Nov 2, 2018
I can't really think of any sad films I remember. Some like 'Batteries Not Included' pull on the heart strings as you go, but I believe finish on a happy note. I'd be tempted to watch a classic like Forrest Gump or something instead, but I know you were asking specifically for sad films... I will think on it for you.

Reactions: Lizzie S., Deafsn0w, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 3 others
IwasElla

IwasElla

Student
Sep 27, 2018
Oh, it's such a responsibility to advise someone his last movie. It's so much personal. Have you thought of whatching one of your favourite movies, which you'll definitely like?
If I were in your shoes, I would probably want to watch some very tragic film, in which everything goes bad for everybody, which shows that life really sucks, e.g. Mystic River, but you've probably seen it already.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deafsn0w, throwaway777, Schopenhauer and 2 others
Dani Paradox

Dani Paradox

Permanently Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Oh, it's such a responsibility to advise someone his last movie. It's so much personal. Have you thought of whatching one of your favourite movies, which you'll definitely like?
If I were in your shoes, I would probably want to watch some very tragic film, in which everything goes bad for everybody, which shows that life really sucks, e.g. Mystic River, but you've probably seen it already.
Mystic River!!

Reactions: Deafsn0w, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and IwasElla
S

Schopenhauer

Enlightened
Oct 3, 2018

No pressure. I'm just trying to brainstorm it. Lost in Translation seems very fitting for me, and I've never watched it. I've just checked Mystic River, and it's very promising too. I've never watched it.

I'll probably choose one movie to go along with Watchmen. It's not particularly sad, but the dystopian vibe resonates with me.

Reactions: Lizzie S., Deafsn0w, throwaway777 and 3 others
Lra888

Lra888

Enlightened
Sep 30, 2018
Enter the Void : a man is killed while on psychedelic drugs and floats around watching over his sister and other acquaintances. Very existential with beautiful visuals.

Passion of Joan of Arc : Beautiful silent film about the trial and burning of Joan of Arc. Excellent depiction of anguish and pain in life and a triumphant death.

Jacob's Ladder : a man returns from Vietnam and has bizarre and horrific experiences - likely caused by experimental drugs given to him in the war. Excellent film and actually has a "positive" message in regards to living and dying and leaving this world.

Reactions: LivedTooLong, Deafsn0w, Schopenhauer and 1 other person
Aesthler

Aesthler

Death is the only God who comes when you call
Sep 25, 2018
I'm going to suggest Loving Vincent it's done entirely in paintings and it's about Vincent van Gogh's tortured last days.

Reactions: stellabelle, UnknownOutlaw, Red star and 5 others
NemoZeno

NemoZeno

Quae Est Absurdum
Nov 6, 2018
Dr. Strangelove
Sad? Check.
Funny? Well, only if you like black humor. Even then YMMV since comedy is subjective.
Interesting? Absolutely.
Fitting? Kind of. Montage of nuke blasts set to "We'll Meet Again"

Or Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.
If not interested in watching the whole thing, the ending is...interesting in a IMO nice way. Read below and click only if you don't plan on watching.

Let me setup the scene. If viewing from below, skip to 2 min 6 seconds

Lefors is chasing our eponymous main characters who are completely surrounded and rush out guns blazing.

\edit I'm too used to reddit. didn't realize this platform also allows the awesome option of putting in gifs in a reply.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deafsn0w, Schopenhauer and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
anthomaniac

anthomaniac

Oct 10, 2018
I think you should check out Into The Wild, kind of an old movie from 2007, but it's beautiful and it gives a great message

Reactions: Lizzie S., Midnight, Deafsn0w and 2 others