Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
Does anyone here have lactose intolerance? My doctor is less then useless and I've basically been taking care of this myself. So if anyone could help me out a little that would be amazing.

I read that lactose intolerance can lead to brittle bones and such due to the way people with lactose intolerance digests it (or lack thereof). Anyway, I was thinking a good way to prevent this would be a calcium supplement. Do I need it? Should I start taking it now or wait a little? (this is a recentish development. Depends how you look at it. I'll explain at the bottom.) is there something better than a calcium supplement that I can take? Just a whole bunch of questions like that lol.

Ok so for a long time I've had a problem with hot drinks. Specifically hot cocoa and French vanilla. It would make my stomach feel sick if I drank it to fast. Well a little bit ago it got worse. (why it took years to get worse and then get worse as quick as it did..... No idea) but now its straight milk products. Milk, ice cream ;-;, but I can have cheese. Anyway I think that basically explains it. I mean if I am going to be alive I might as well take care of myself, plus this being on this fence thing really sucks but that's not what this thread is about so I'll save that for another time.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: TheSoulless, KleinerWolf and Deleted member 17331
Deleted member 17331

Deleted member 17331

The swan sang with a broken neck
Apr 21, 2020
Hey, I also have lactose intolerance! :hug:

Did you mean that the lack of calcium that is present in milk can be a loss? My translation may be wrong, but if so right, that's just a myth. Although I also love cheese, I avoided milk throughout my childhood. My mother had been scared when the doctor said that I could not consume milk and dairy products, and doctor asked her what was the only animal that still consumed milk even after being an adult, yes we are, humans. It is a question that makes sense, if you stop to think we consume milk from another mammal, which seems to be very unnatural. I think that if humans need milk even after weaning, the right thing would be to consume the milk of other human beings...?

I believe that this video has more important and detailed information:

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020

Did you mean that the lack of calcium that is present in milk can be a loss? My translation may be wrong, but if so right, that's just a myth. Although I also love cheese, I avoided milk throughout my childhood. My mother had been scared when the doctor said that I could not consume milk and dairy products, and doctor asked her what was the only animal that still consumed milk even after being an adult, yes we are, humans. It is a question that makes sense, if you stop to think we consume milk from another mammal, which seems to be very unnatural. I think that if humans need milk even after weaning, the right thing would be to consume the milk of other human beings...?

I'm at work right now but when I get home I can do the research again and share what I find.

Reactions: Deleted member 17331
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
Does anyone here have lactose intolerance? My doctor is less then useless and I've basically been taking care of this myself. So if anyone could help me out a little that would be amazing.

I read that lactose intolerance can lead to brittle bones and such due to the way people with lactose intolerance digests it (or lack thereof). Anyway, I was thinking a good way to prevent this would be a calcium supplement. Do I need it? Should I start taking it now or wait a little? (this is a recentish development. Depends how you look at it. I'll explain at the bottom.) is there something better than a calcium supplement that I can take? Just a whole bunch of questions like that lol.

Ok so for a long time I've had a problem with hot drinks. Specifically hot cocoa and French vanilla. It would make my stomach feel sick if I drank it to fast. Well a little bit ago it got worse. (why it took years to get worse and then get worse as quick as it did..... No idea) but now its straight milk products. Milk, ice cream ;-;, but I can have cheese. Anyway I think that basically explains it. I mean if I am going to be alive I might as well take care of myself, plus this being on this fence thing really sucks but that's not what this thread is about so I'll save that for another time.
Yes and no I am intolerant to cows milk not only the lactose part of the milk so I haven´t drank milk for a few years and because of my throat problem I can´t swallow or even eat calcium pills since even chewing them will mess with my throat so I get no calcium at all.my advice to you is take calcium pills if you can swallow them otherwise you´ll regret it, my nails look disgusting because of lack of calcium I can PM a picture if you want to see I don´t want to share it here because it´s embarrassing The times I tried eating calcium pills for just a few days my nails would look way better almost immediately but it messed with my throat.

As apposed to others who are intolerant to milk it doesn´t hurt my stomach I just get very bad breath so I had to stop drinking milk and it´s weird I had been drinking milk all my life and never had any problems as a child or even as a teenager where I used Protein Powder produced from milk when training i.e. a more concentrated milk substance but when I became an adult I got dozens of allergies/intolerances.

G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
Why not just drink lactaid milk, or take the lactaid tablets before consuming dairy? You can also supplement calcium.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
Why not just drink lactaid milk, or take the lactaid tablets before consuming dairy? You can also supplement calcium.
i have the pills and i get milk and ice cream without lactose......i guess it is the only thing removed. and this says that it has 30% calcium in one cup. i guess the calcium pills might be overkill. its just im missing 2 bones in my lower back so the last thing i want is weak bones and for some reason it didnt occur to me that there would still be calcium in these products. thanks for making me go look at the ingredients i guess lol

Based on the available evidence, neither dietary lactose nor lactase deficiency have a significant impact on calcium absorption in adult humans. However, lactose intolerance may lead to reduced bone density and fragility fractures when accompanied by decreased intake or avoidance of dairy.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Ghost2211
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
i have the pills and i get milk and ice cream without lactose......i guess it is only the only thing removed. and this says that it has 30% calcium in one cup. i guess the calcium pills might be overkill. its just im missing 2 bones in my lower back so the last thing i want is weak bones and for some reason it didnt occur to me that there would still be calcium in these products. thanks for making me go look at the ingredients i guess lol

Don't worry about the missing lactose as far as nutrition and bone health. Multi vitamins also often contain a lot of calcium. Sometimes people that can't handle cow products tolerate goat products better as well. Lactose is the sugar part of the milk, so you're not losing anything by drinking lactose milk. Sorry you're dealing with this. Digestive problems are miserable. If you take a lactose pill as instructed you might be able to have normal milk products as well. Sucks, but only one way to find out.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
Don't worry about the missing lactose as far as nutrition and bone health. Multi vitamins also often contain a lot of calcium. Sometimes people that can't handle cow products tolerate goat products better as well. Lactose is the sugar part of the milk, so you're not losing anything by drinking lactose milk. Sorry you're dealing with this. Digestive problems are miserable. If you take a lactose pill as instructed you might be able to have normal milk products as well. Sucks, but only one way to find out.
yeah, i mostly get the lactose free products but i have the pills in case i want ice cream from my fave local place or something like that. this digestive problem isnt that bad, more of a major annoyance. in this case i will say it could be a lot worse lol. at least from my perspective. thanks for pointing that out again, i feel a little silly now :pfff: :ahhha:

• Hugs
Reactions: Ghost2211
Sinkinshyp

Sinkinshyp

Paragon
Sep 7, 2020
I'm not lactose intolerant. I don't drink milk, only use coffee creamer in my coffee. Sometimes my meal for a couple of days will be some swiss cheese during raids on my video game. Due to genetics and my thyroid being removed I have osteo arthritis and a vit B & vit D deficiency-cant spell it right.

I take some days when I feel like it haha 5000IU vit D3 as per doc order
but also over the counter I take Calcium Citrate- its vit D3 500 IU and calcium citrate 630 mg.

the calcium citrate helps your body absorb the vit D3 as explained to me. While the combined calcium citrate and D3 has less D3 than my 5000iu prescription one, it's more absorbed because of the calcium citrate. I just copied off web MD as it explaines the combo better- and its available OTC. Get a generic one it's alot cheaper. I use a generic one. The name brand is like $25-$35 where as generic bottle at cvs on buy one get one free sale you can get for like $10 -$15 and have 2 bottles due to the sale.

as per web MD " This combination medication is used to prevent or treat low blood calcium levels in people who do not get enough calcium from their diets. It may be used to treat conditions caused by low calcium levels such as bone loss (osteoporosis), weak bones (osteomalacia/rickets), decreased activity of the parathyroid gland (hypoparathyroidism), and a certain muscle disease (latent tetany). It may also be used in certain patients to make sure they are getting enough calcium (including women who are pregnant, nursing, or postmenopausal, people taking certain medications such as phenytoin, phenobarbital, or prednisone).

Calcium plays a very important role in the body. It is necessary for normal functioning of nerves, cells, muscle, and bone. If there is not enough calcium in the blood, then the body will take calcium from bones, thereby weakening bones. Vitamin D helps your body absorb calcium and phosphorus. Having the right amounts of vitamin D, calcium, and phosphorus is important for building and keeping strong bones."
I take prednisone a lot too for my lungs... which really wrecks havoc.. and dammit- now you have me thinking about all this doc sent me blood labs he's been after me for 6 months to do and he's checking my B and calcium/D and I've not taken any of my vitamins.. oopsie

Last edited:
Sinkinshyp

Sinkinshyp

Paragon
Sep 7, 2020
I just looked online looks like $6-$12 online for a small bottle of Calcium citrate & D3. If you have amazon this one Citracal Calcium Citrate and D3 240-Count is $24. Not sure if that you would take 1 or 3 per day of those. It depends on the brand and your blood levels what you need. I'm supposed to do 5000IU daily but I dont ever take it. Only for passing my blood labs haha
I know you said your doc bascially sux... tell them check your blood levels

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
I know you said your doc bascially sux... tell them check your blood levels
i couldnt even get him to check me. it was over the phone and i told him everything and didnt do anything, claiming there was nothing that can be done and not even suggesting the OTC pills i have now or telling me the exist. ive literally dont this myself. its just lactose intolerance, it wont kill me but if it gets a lot worse ill definitely go see him about that :hug: :heart:

Sinkinshyp

Sinkinshyp

Paragon
Sep 7, 2020
i couldnt even get him to check me. it was over the phone and i told him everything and didnt do anything, claiming there was nothing that can be done and not even suggesting the OTC pills i have now or telling me the exist. ive literally dont this myself. its just lactose intolerance, it wont kill me but if it gets a lot worse ill definitely go see him about that :hug: :heart:

I have complicated health issues. My primary care doc is awesome, I truly love him he's so good. But he hasn't physically seen me since hmmm Feb or March I think. He calls once a month for a tele visit. I can say though I told him I need anti biotics NOW and I am starting a long wean of pred and he agreed. I can call him now and ask for a med and he will call in whatever I tell him. I think so many are afraid of covid they keep it tele health. Mine told me last call with my lungs acting up- he said be careful there is a lot of covid in our county.

It might be time for you to find a new pri care doc. They can run blood work and see where your levels are. Mine keeps tabs at least once a yr of my B and D/calcium. You need a doctor who knows he/she can run lab work thats sad... and doesn't even offer you otc vitamins knowing you aren't getting enough calcium/D... sorry you have to experience that what a waste of a medical degree

kane

kane

Student
Jun 26, 2020
I find lactose-free milk totally tolerable - think it's as good for calcium as regular milk. Or a lot of brands of plant milk are fortified with calcium.

MichaelNomad123

MichaelNomad123

Jesus
Oct 15, 2020
Hey there. I'm not lactose intolerant but my wife was. We simply replaced all lactose with soy or almond alternatives. I recommend almond over soy. It doesn't have a flavour and reminds me a bit of semi-skimmed milk. It also mixes well in hot drinks (I am a prolific tea drinker).

There's a lot of great advice here, but I don't see why you have to concern yourself with all this nutrition stuff. There is more calcium in Almond milk than dairy and you're not missing out on anything else. There are some great lactose-free ice-cream alternatives if you must have ice-cream (breyers? I think it's called, in the PNW US). Cheeses vary on your intolerance and requires you to do a bit of testing on your own. Older cheeses have less lactose because the bacteria in the cheese eats the lactose. My wife would eat a lot of parmesan as a result because it's aged for a couple of years.

So, basically, don't worry about it. Just replace your milk with Almond milk, avoid creams, avoid cheddars, use lactose alternatives if that's your jam. Easy peasy!