N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Today I have read of David Foster Wallace. It is kind of ironical because my obsession of him questions my sanity regularly. He said something very interesting. I can't quote it it was the German translation. He wrote about the addiction to TV. Many consume way too much TV and due to that they lack human interaction. I won't elaborate on the TV part. He said that a minimum of human interaction is necessary in order to maintain your sanity. I can perfectly relate to that. In the past I was for a long time isolated. Moreover I was alienated from my environment. This really damaged my sanity. Another reason probably was I did not take my medication...this was also a reason for going nuts. But I became very socially awkward after 1,5 years isolation. I thought during this time more or less 24/7 about suicide. Really I could only think about that. I was extremely depressed/suicidal and partly paranoid. The medication helped when I started it after this time period. One crush of me probably denied me due to my social awkwardness during that time. I really regret that but it can't be undone.

During the last months I have made imrpovements. I try to have more human interactions. Even in real life and not only on the internet. This helped to restore parts of my sanity. Yeah this paranoid time was extremely insane. You must know I had 2 psychosis and not taking medication against that is not such a good idea. But I have learned from that. Sometimes I think some people in this forum should also consider to try antipsychotic medication. Being diagnosed with psychosis/schizophrenia and trying to live without medication is in many cases often impossble without going nuts. Though there are some exceptions. I know some few people who can do it. I won't elaborate on that there is a rule I think but I am not a doctor and I don't want to give wrong advices.

I trained myself to become less socially awkward. This helped. I had huge problems with eye contact. I was really weird. My therapist also said he recognized the imrpovements. This was relieving for me. I am obsessed what other people think of me and I don't want that others think of me as insane...

Have you recognized this damaging effect of social isolation? I think many here are pretty isolated. I hope they feel less lonely due to this forum. At least for me it helps...

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: artificial_ineptness, charlottewilts, katagiri83 and 3 others
Bootleg Astolfo

Bootleg Astolfo

Glorious Bean Plushie
Oct 12, 2020
I can't even remember the last time ive had a hug.

• Hugs
Reactions: artificial_ineptness, charlottewilts, Unicornsrnot4dislife and 2 others
batcountry

batcountry

Mar 22, 2022
I've recognized the exact same effect of social isolation in myself too; the longer I spent away from other people, the more my social skills started to deteriorate and the more socially anxious I became. I had friends before and never felt too lonely (if anything I'd get really overstimulated from not having enough time to spend on my own) and wasn't really scared to talk to other people. Now that I've spent so many years isolated, it's so difficult to even be around people, let alone actually talk to them. It's really admirable that you've taken steps to become less socially awkward; it's not an easy process but it's definitely important, I hope you can continue to make progress there.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: artificial_ineptness, charlottewilts and noname223