E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
After having read many threads on this site about various methods to ctb and everything that goes with it, it seems to me that all the new information I have come across and things I have learned make the whole thing more difficult and daunting.
I naively used to think that ctb was 'easy', but now with all this new knowledge about hanging methods, sn, n, co, vsed, nn, swb, SI, failure rates, etc, it's made the whole thing appear so complex and difficult to pull off.
Does anyone else have this experience, or does improved knowledge about the methods etc make ctb an easier prospect?

• Love
Reactions: Theodora, AnxietyAttack44, pleasethistime and 3 others
autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020
After having read many threads on this site about various methods to ctb and everything that goes with it, it seems to me that all the new information I have come across and things I have learned make the whole thing more difficult and daunting.
I naively used to think that ctb was 'easy', but now with all this new knowledge about hanging methods, sn, n, co, vsed, nn, swb, SI, failure rates, etc, it's made the whole thing appear so complex and difficult to pull off.
Does anyone else have this experience, or does improved knowledge about the methods etc make ctb an easier prospect?

Gaining knowledge only makes suicide seem harder if you were blissfully ignorant (as most of us were) about how complex and difficult it was beforehand. So you don't have to regret it seeming more complicated, because that means you are now finally seeing it realistically and thus with far greater chance of success.

• Love
Reactions: esse_est_percipi, pthnrdnojvsc, Pupu and 2 others
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
Gaining knowledge only makes suicide seem harder if you were blissfully ignorant (as most of us were) about how complex and difficult it was beforehand. So you don't have to regret it seeming more complicated, because that means you are now finally seeing it realistically and thus with far greater chance of success.
Yes, at least having a better knowledge of all the specifics will make it less likely to fail, even if it makes it seems more difficult to carry it through.

Reactions: autumnal
R

Random_guy2

Jul 12, 2020
I also thought that ctb would be easy. Now I think ctb is harder than continue living. But I might change my mind if I find right method for me. I went through the resource post, each method needs high will to end life, but my SI stops me. I would prefer to take poison rather than hanging.

Reactions: esse_est_percipi
JCAPPY34

JCAPPY34

UK in the North
Jul 14, 2020

Agree with that. That's why the method I am committing to is fairly over the top, for what I would have expected, but very likely to achieve its goal.

Lmd

Lmd

Elementalist
Jul 12, 2020
I already tried things like hanging, pills and suffocation without knowledge so I knew this would be hard. Research and understand how things works gives me hope to do things right and not make more failures

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
it seems to me that all the new information I have come across and things I have learned make the whole thing more difficult and daunting.

I see a contradiction in what you said, which seems to me to be the root of the feeling of impotence. Here's how I process what you wrote:

You said that you naively used to think ctb was easy.

Now you find information that shows it's not, and it feels daunting because it's not easy to pull off. You are no longer naive. In fact, you're more empowered to have a successful attempt than a failed attempt. This is the opposite of impotence.

You say it's made the whole thing appear complex and difficult to pull off. Statistics reflect that it is. There are far more attempts than completed suicides.

So when you were naive (your word) and thought it was easy, you had the illusion of power. What was your chosen method? Now that you've been reading, do you think it would have succeeded or failed?

Now that you have information, you have more power, which reveals you have to make more effort to succeed if suicide is your choice.

To answer your question, now that I have information, I feel like attempting as well as completing are both easier prospects. Even if an attempt is not successful, I know going in why it might not be and take precautions in case of failure, and for methods that are more likely to succeed but also more daunting for me, I have information to help me figure out what I need to overcome in order to succeed.

Last edited:
CarbonMonoxide

CarbonMonoxide

Marejeo ni ngamani
Oct 13, 2019
Ctb is not easy because the human body is full of fail safes. The good thing about ss is that it gives you a realistic view of what to expect. A lot of misconceptions are cleared up on this site. Many members post about being failing earlier and even getting injured in uninformed ctb attempts. On ss, they discover the following:

1. Dying is hard, but it can be done with little pain if you have the right knowledge.

2. There are many misunderstandings regarding some methods eg the idea that full suspension is painful, whereas in reality you lose consciousness in seconds.

3. Ctb is serious and requires commitment. Si or not, you must be willing to overcome all that to achieve your goal. Otherwise you have no choice but to keep living in pain.

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
I see a contradiction in what you said, which seems to me to be the root of the feeling of impotence. Here's how I process what you wrote:

You said that you naively used to think ctb was easy.

Now you find information that shows it's not, and it feels daunting because it's not easy to pull off. You are no longer naive. In fact, you're more empowered to have a successful attempt than a failed attempt. This is the opposite of impotence.

You say it's made the whole thing appear complex and difficult to pull off. Statistics reflect that it is. There are far more attempts than completed suicides.

So when you were naive (your word) and thought it was easy, you had the illusion of power. What was your chosen method? Now that you've been reading, do you think it would have succeeded or failed?

Now that you have information, you have more power, which reveals you have to make more effort to succeed if suicide is your choice.

To answer your question, now that I have information, I feel like attempting as well as completing are both easier prospects. Even if an attempt is not successful, I know going in why it might not be and take precautions in case of failure, and for methods that are more likely to succeed but also more daunting for me, I have information to help me figure out what I need to overcome in order to succeed.
You're right - thinking suicide was easy was a sort of illusory state, not ultimate control. I thought I just needed to take a load of otc pills or nonchalantly cut an artery. I now know they are both very bad methods and likely would not succeed.
I think maybe the idea that any method of ctb is complicated and risky based on increased knowledge is a sort of psychological si, an involuntary defence mechanism telling me to back off from it.
I often wonder how those who have successfully ctb'd were able to override their si. I guess it is based on individual circumstances and inbuilt predispositions.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: GoodPersonEffed
Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
I would prefer a little paranoia and more reliable methods than naivete and a horrible failure ngl

Reactions: Lmd
Giraffey

Giraffey

Your Orange Crush
Mar 7, 2020
I like to think of it a bit like bomb disposal. At first, it sounds quite simple; if you want to get rid of a bomb and there is nobody around for it to harm, then just plant a small explosive next to it and boom - the bomb explodes, problem solved... Right?

But how large will the explosion be? You don't know that unless you perform some analysis of the explosive that's been used, assess the construction of the bomb or have intelligence about how it's been made. Does the bomb contain any lethal shrapnel? Is it possible to disarm the detonator in order to preserve evidence that could lead to the arrest of the person who has constructed it? Was the bomb built with a failsafe or decoy components that would complicate the disarming process? Can the bomb be detonated remotely? If so, how?

What began as a simple premise quickly becomes a complex web of technicalities and analysis. Yes, you can charge in there and detonate the bomb without a care for any of these potentially confounding factors, but such ignorance comes with risks. So too, you can commit suicide in ignorance, potentially hanging yourself, jumping in front of a moving vehicle or taking large, mixed quantities of prescription medication; but you run the risks of complications, failure or severe pain.

The acquisition of knowledge is for me, one of the key differences between rational and impulsive suicide. Rational suicide requires careful thought, analysis, planning and preparation; and the success rate is very high. Impulsive suicide appears to be more successful than it is because we hear about successful attempts in the media but hear nothing of the innumerable failed attempts that dwarf those that are successful.

Reactions: esse_est_percipi, pthnrdnojvsc and CarbonMonoxide
CarbonMonoxide

CarbonMonoxide

Marejeo ni ngamani
Oct 13, 2019
Impulsive suicide appears to be more successful than it is because we hear about successful attempts in the media but hear nothing of the innumerable failed attempts that dwarf those that are successful.
Love this statement. It's so true, most impulsive suicides fail and even lead to disabilities. Great analogy btw.

Reactions: Giraffey
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
I like to think of it a bit like bomb disposal. At first, it sounds quite simple; if you want to get rid of a bomb and there is nobody around for it to harm, then just plant a small explosive next to it and boom - the bomb explodes, problem solved... Right?

But how large will the explosion be? You don't know that unless you perform some analysis of the explosive that's been used, assess the construction of the bomb or have intelligence about how it's been made. Does the bomb contain any lethal shrapnel? Is it possible to disarm the detonator in order to preserve evidence that could lead to the arrest of the person who has constructed it? Was the bomb built with a failsafe or decoy components that would complicate the disarming process? Can the bomb be detonated remotely? If so, how?

What began as a simple premise quickly becomes a complex web of technicalities and analysis. Yes, you can charge in there and detonate the bomb without a care for any of these potentially confounding factors, but such ignorance comes with risks. So too, you can commit suicide in ignorance, potentially hanging yourself, jumping in front of a moving vehicle or taking large, mixed quantities of prescription medication; but you run the risks of complications, failure or severe pain.

The acquisition of knowledge is for me, one of the key differences between rational and impulsive suicide. Rational suicide requires careful thought, analysis, planning and preparation; and the success rate is very high. Impulsive suicide appears to be more successful than it is because we hear about successful attempts in the media but hear nothing of the innumerable failed attempts that dwarf those that are successful.
useful analogy