thishappened

thishappened

Apr 3, 2019
The aftermath after posting in r/depression.. reminds me to every conversation I had with people in real life about depression.

I'm so thankful for SS and all the people on here. Thank you. There's no place or community I feel this connected with. As odd as it may seem, it's you guys that keep me sane.

What king of advice are you tired of hearing?

Reactions: Gray Wounds, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Shadowplay and 9 others
Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
"Stop being depressed."

Reactions: thishappened, AutumnEmbers, slickOne and 5 others
S

Santiago

Mage
Mar 25, 2018
I mean it isn't a magical super cure, but it does definitely help.

It's just that many people with depression have trouble living such a lifestyle with a routine. And that is understandable.

Reactions: Sprite_Geist, WinterIsComing, Walilamdzi and 3 others
PatKat

PatKat

Meh
Aug 9, 2018
It's why I dont talk to people irl anymore they wont and will never understand.

Reactions: thishappened, AutumnEmbers, not-2-b-the-answer and 4 others
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
I find I get more depressed the more I talk about my depression.

It's sort of a self-perpetuating cycle. If you mentally leave it alone and don't internalize for a while, it tends to ease off at least a little (provided you're keeping busy).

Easier said than done though, for sure. I like to wallow in it more than I should. But either way, reddit is a shit pastry. Avoid.

Reactions: wiIIow, Dead beat dad, thishappened and 5 others
Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
I mean it isn't a magical super cure, but it does definitely help.

It's just that many people with depression have trouble living such a lifestyle with a routine. And that is understandable.

I think it helps with anxiety, not depression.

S

Santiago

Mage
Mar 25, 2018
I think it helps with anxiety, not depression.

It helped me with my depression (even though I fall into the category of those who have trouble maintaining a routine due to my depression)
Working out gives you a temporary rush of 'joy' after you are done (the harder the work out the better this effect). Almost feels a bit like when you are drunk and you forget your problems.

dhk96

dhk96

May 8, 2018
"You're allowing yourself to be depressed. You can be happy if you let yourself be happy."

Okay, so it's my fault that I'm depressed and I'm holding myself back from 'getting better.' It's not like I've ever tried to 'get better' before, right? /s

"You haven't lived long enough. Things are gonna get better in the future."

Apparently being depressed for more than half of my life now isn't enough and it's okay to dismiss the negative effects of all my thoughts and feelings during that time like that. And while I can't say things are going to get worse in the future because I "can't see the future," it's okay to tell me that things are going to get better... /s

"If you really were suicidal, you would have died by now. You're not actually suicidal lol."

Mmkay. /s

---
Then there's the exercise, sleep on time, take your medication, etc.

Reactions: thishappened, WinterIsComing, AutumnEmbers and 1 other person
thishappened

thishappened

Apr 3, 2019
"You're allowing yourself to be depressed. You can be happy if you let yourself be happy."

Okay, so it's my fault that I'm depressed and I'm holding myself back from 'getting better.' It's not like I've ever tried to 'get better' before, right? /s

"You haven't lived long enough. Things are gonna get better in the future."

Apparently being depressed for more than half of my life now isn't enough and it's okay to dismiss the negative effects of all my thoughts and feelings during that time like that. And while I can't say things are going to get worse in the future because I "can't see the future," it's okay to tell me that things are going to get better... /s

"If you really were suicidal, you would have died by now. You're not actually suicidal lol."

Mmkay. /s

---
Then there's the exercise, sleep on time, take your medication, etc.

Exactly. It just feels so degenerating. So many factors are involved if someone is severe depressed for years. I've PTSD, borderline and anxiety, have been professionally and medically treated with no long term success. I've tried to open up with people in real life, I was desperate for support, and your response is just literally how they viewed me. They considered me to be the cause of my own depression, I was allowing myself to be depressed. I didn't talk about the circumstances of my depression on Reddit, but shared my philosophical view on life and it just feels degenerating to in return be spammed with messages that automatically assume that my behaviour is the problem. There is also never even an attempt to understand your situation. Everyone gets bombarded with the same advice.

Exercising and whatsoever doesn't help with someone's depression, it won't change your personal circumstances, a personality disorder, anxiety and it won't change your view on life. It can be used as a distraction tool, or for the five minutes of dopamine you'll feel afterwards if you're lucky.

Reactions: Rogue Proxy, TheHatedOne and dhk96
TheHatedOne

TheHatedOne

Death is salvation
Sep 26, 2021
Doesn't even surprise me anymore, redditors are so out of touch it's pathetic.