PsychoPyro

PsychoPyro

Chronic Pain
Jun 7, 2018
If you cut a large enough hole in a parachute to the point where it's nearly useless, "Base jumped" from 20 stories, and pulled the pin (fairly late, but soon enough to survive with a regular parachute), it would look like an accident, correct?

I'm not using this method, just an idea I had.

• Yay!
Reactions: Macc Lad
Purgatory

Purgatory

Oracle
Mar 21, 2018
If you cut a large enough hole in a parachute to the point where it's nearly useless, "Base jumped" from 20 stories, and pulled the pin (fairly late, but soon enough to survive with a regular parachute), it would look like an accident, correct?

I'm not using this method, just an idea I had.
For the love of everything holy, please do not do that!
  1. I work in aviation. I know how the laws are.
  2. A hole in your chute will be investigated on a federal level! As in FAA, and NTSB.
  3. It will eventually be ruled a suicide. After an investigation that cost millions of $$!
  4. Note: speaking from US here. But help from our FAA and NTSB is sometimes requested by other countries.

I get that this is just an idea you had. But for anyone reading this post. Bad idea! Please don't attempt this way!

5. To add an extra, a partially deployed chute will decelerate your decent. Increasing the risk of survival and injury.

<3 Purg

Reactions: cyanol, NoOneKnows, Halo13 and 4 others
M

MistakesHappen

Escapologist
Aug 29, 2018
For the love of everything holy, please do not do that!
  1. I work in aviation. I know how the laws are.
  2. A hole in your chute will be investigated on a federal level! As in FAA, and NTSB.
  3. It will eventually be ruled a suicide. After an investigation that cost millions of $$!
  4. Note: speaking from US here. But help from our FAA and NTSB is sometimes requested by other countries.
I get that this is just an idea you had. But for anyone reading this post. Bad idea! Please don't attempt this way!

5. To add an extra, a partially deployed chute will decelerate your decent. Increasing the risk of survival and injury.

<3 Purg

T

TiredHorse

Enlightened
Nov 1, 2018
A hole in your chute will be investigated on a federal level! As in FAA, and NTSB.
Just out of curiosity, the OP said his idea was for BASE jumping, not skydiving. Would the FAA/NTSB still be involved since the incident did not involve the aviation/transportation industry? (I'm also in the US, and was a licensed pilot.)

For the OP: maybe don't cut a hole, use a seam-ripper and pick out the stitching from a seam in the parachute? It might look more like a manufacturing/maintenance error rather than sabotage.

NONE OF WHICH is to condone any of the premise as a good idea; I'm just exploring the theoretical aspects.

Reactions: Purgatory, MistakesHappen and sunny.sativa
Purgatory

Purgatory

Oracle
Mar 21, 2018
Just out of curiosity, the OP said his idea was for BASE jumping, not skydiving. Would the FAA/NTSB still be involved since the incident did not involve the aviation/transportation industry? (I'm also in the US, and was a licensed pilot.)

For the OP: maybe don't cut a hole, use a seam-ripper and pick out the stitching from a seam in the parachute? It might look more like a manufacturing/maintenance error rather than sabotage.

NONE OF WHICH is to condone any of the premise as a good idea; I'm just exploring the theoretical aspects.
It involves a parachute. Even though the jump is not from a plane, a parachute is an aviation device. The FAA/NTSB will get involved.
You are probably aware of the 737 Max problem and the scrutiny it put on the FAA. I would venture to say that they will put in extra effort on an investigation if only for public relations purposes.

Reactions: TiredHorse and Halo13