• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

sweetbraid

sweetbraid

Apr 15, 2018
There is a bridge near where I live, it overlooks a large body of water, one of the Great Lakes. According to google, its height is 64m, but the clearance below is 38m, approximately 19 and 11 stories, respectively. I'm disabled (my body doesn't work correctly) and already have relatively impactful brain damage, and I can't swim. I'm also planning on doing this in the next month or two when the weather is still cold so that the chances of also getting hypothermia from the water are higher, adding to the likelihood of mortality. What do you think are the chances of death? Assuming I were to jump at a time when the chances of rescue are slight.
Thanks for your time

M

merpmerp

Apr 5, 2020
As a rule of thumb (For almost 100% sure, immediately death):
100m (~328 feet) with landing on a hard surface.
200m (~656 feet) with landing on water.

... took this from the jumping megathread. im not sure of its accuracy as it depends how you land..

• Love
Reactions: neitherherenorthere and sweetbraid
E

Endeavour

Mage
Dec 13, 2020
I know nothing about jumping, I personally couldn't do it, but funnily enough while channel hopping today i saw a tv show "inside the ambulance" or something. Think it was in Canada since they spoke English and French, and as they were driving somewhere they came across a jumper.

Off a bridge onto a road, about 70 ft, dead as a dodo - they didn't even try to resuscitate him/her.

Reactions: neitherherenorthere, sweetbraid and merpmerp
neitherherenorthere

neitherherenorthere

Experienced
Apr 22, 2020
All I know is that you take 1d6 bludgeoning damage for every 10 ft. you fall.

Kidding. Geo Stone's book says 150 ft (~45 m) over land and 250 ft (~76m) over water is adequate. Supposedly jumping from 30m has a 90% chance of death, but that might be over land and not water. I'm also not sure if that means death on impact or eventual death from traumatic injury or something else. Even if you didn't die instantly, you would probably drown rather than manage to pull yourself out of the water and die of hypothermia.

• Love
Reactions: sweetbraid
Z

Zimcity

Mar 10, 2020
As a rule of thumb (For almost 100% sure, immediately death):
100m (~328 feet) with landing on a hard surface.
200m (~656 feet) with landing on water.

... took this from the jumping megathread. im not sure of its accuracy as it depends how you land..
Really.
Clearly I didn't research enough.
I just stood for several hours over a 70+ meter bridge over water.
It looked way to low and I felt certain it wouldnt kill me. Almost looked like something I'd jump for fun in my youth. I assume I'd die due to possibly not landing right + currents+ cold. I've jumped over 20 metres for fun and that was nothing.

But I figured I'd either mangle myself suffering and struggling for a long time or just swim to shore and plod dead frozen back to the car.

Reactions: merpmerp, neitherherenorthere and sweetbraid
sweetbraid

sweetbraid

Apr 15, 2018
All I know is that you take 1d6 bludgeoning damage for every 10 ft. you fall.

Kidding. Geo Stone's book says 150 ft (~45 m) over land and 250 ft (~76m) over water is adequate. Supposedly jumping from 30m has a 90% chance of death, but that might be over land and not water. I'm also not sure if that means death on impact or eventual death from traumatic injury or something else. Even if you didn't die instantly, you would probably drown rather than manage to pull yourself out of the water and die of hypothermia.
Lol!
This is super helpful, thank you!

Reactions: neitherherenorthere
M

merpmerp

Apr 5, 2020
I know nothing about jumping, I personally couldn't do it, but funnily enough while channel hopping today i saw a tv show "inside the ambulance" or something. Think it was in Canada since they spoke English and French, and as they were driving somewhere they came across a jumper.

Off a bridge onto a road, about 70 ft, dead as a dodo - they didn't even try to resuscitate him/her

Really.
Clearly I didn't research enough.
I just stood for several hours over a 70+ meter bridge over water.
It looked way to low and I felt certain it wouldnt kill me. Almost looked like something I'd jump for fun in my youth. I assume I'd die due to possibly not landing right + currents+ cold. I've jumped over 20 metres for fun and that was nothing.

But I figured I'd either mangle myself suffering and struggling for a long time or just swim to shore and plod dead frozen back to the car.
Ya I have stood out over a similar bridge. People had jumped over it and died though so I'm guessing they were head impacts. I think the estimates are based on 100% fatality no matter how you fall. The bridge you went to could but there would be a risk of things going awry

Reactions: Deleted member 1768
C

CivilizationV

May 21, 2020
How can one make sure to land on the head and not make a roll in the air or end up landing on your belly to the floor?

M

merpmerp

Apr 5, 2020
How can one make sure to land on the head and not make a roll in the air or end up landing on your belly to the floor?
I've always wondered. You definitely can't fall straight down like a diver. I think you'd have to lean into the fall so you fall on your back or front