N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I usually really dislike self-help experts. But there was a time I was really into Jordan Peterson. If you don't know him he is a clinical psychologist, public intellectual and bestseller author.
I had different experiences. I am a lefty so I disagreed on many of his political stances. He is also against trans rights which I really hated.

But I also kind of benefited of his lectures. I try to find some order in my world of chaos. It did not really work. It did not solve my problems. Though it was really motivating me. To that time I tried a repetetive-boring job. I really despised the work. But Jordan motivated me into trying to improve. He tries to break the vicious cylce of suffering. It was the wrong approach in the end. The work caused extremely crippling depression. I was a wreck at work. I swear to the non-existing God I think barely anyone else had the stamina to keep on going with the job. It demanded extremely hard mental work in order not to give up. And his videos gave me the motivation to keep going. I am really extremely disciplined you must know. I studied twice as much as I got a psychosis and even psychotic I was still extremely disciplined and studied even more. But the time I worked there was insane. I counted every second at work. It was the pure hell. I barely could sleep suring this period because it increased my depression so hard.
I am glad my supervisor fired me after 3 months. To that time it really was a shock. I gave 150% daily but I was just a wreck. And the work increased my pain a lot. Honestly now when I think about it I am glad he fired me. Though it more or less started a mixed-manic episode because I was so extremely desperate afterwards.

I have stopped watching Jordan Peterson anyway. As I said he is clincial psychologist and he has a video with the following content. There are people who are just hopeless cases. You cannot help these people they are lost. After I was fired two therapists gave me up and thought I gonna kill myself anyway due to the coming poverty. In some sense I had the feeling Jordan also has no better conclusion for me.

Afterwards I still tried to improve. Tried different approaches to recovery. Meds and going to college again. I don't need Peterson's advices anymore. I think he is rather a motivational speaker for people who have depression. My main problem currently is a potential mania. I don't need more motivation to work hard. I still don't think Ithere will be a happy end for me but for the moment I improved a lot compared to my mental state 2-3 years ago.

Maybe to add one thing. I profited from his metaphysical analyses. I am kind of into philosophy. And being obsessed by nihilsim and antinatalism both kind of influenced me in a negative way. I was into both a lot. I still sympathize with antinatilism but I have stopped preaching about it.
His philosophy should help against chaos. Some advices were helpful for me. Other advices I completely rejected. He is pretty religious. And I don't like many judeo-christias values. I am more in favor of secular humanism and enlightenment.

I think he is better than other so-called self-help experts. But I think one have to be aware that these people are not perfect. They also want to sell their ideology. I think it is important not to undertake all of their beliefs without questioning them.

Do you have experiences with Jordan Peterson?

Last edited:
Reactions: Not_A_Seagull
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
I usually really dislike self-help experts. But there was a time I was really into Jordan Peterson. If you don't know him he is a clinical psychologist, public intellectual and bestseller author.
I had different experiences. I am a lefty so I disagreed on many of his political stances. He is also against trans rights which I really hated.

But I also kind of benefited of his lectures. I try to find some order in my world of chaos. It did not really work. It did not solve my problems. Though it was really motivating me. To that time I tried a repetetive-boring job. I really despised the work. But Jordan motivated me into trying to improve. He tries to break the vicious cylce of suffering. It was the wrong approach in the end. The work caused extremely crippling depression. I was a wreck at work. I swear to the non-existing God I think barely anyone else had the stamina to keep on going with the job. It demanded extremely hard mental work in order not to give up. And his videos gave me the motivation to keep going. I am really extremely disciplined you must know. I studied twice as much as I got a psychosis and even psychotic I was still extremely disciplined and studied even more. But the time I worked there was insane. I counted every second at work. It was the pure hell. I barely could sleep suring this period because it increased my depression so hard.
I am glad my supervisor fired me after 3 months. To that time it really was a shock. I gave 150% daily but I was just a wreck. And the work increased my pain a lot. Honestly now when I think about it I am glad he fired me. Though it more or less started a mixed-manic episode because I was so extremely desperate afterwards.

I have stopped watching Jordan Peterson anyway. As I said he is clincial psychologist and he has a video with the following content. There are people who are just hopeless cases. You cannot help these people they are lost. After I was fired two therapists gave me up and thought I gonna kill myself anyway due to the coming poverty. In some sense I had the feeling Jordan also has no better conclusion for me.

Afterwards I still tried to improve. Tried different approaches to recovery. Meds and going to college again. I don't need Peterson's advices anymore. I think he is rather a motivational speaker for people who have depression. My main problem currently is a potential mania. I don't need more motivation to work hard. I still don't think Ithere will be a happy end for me but for the moment I improved a lot compared to my mental state 2-3 years ago.

Maybe to add one thing. I profited from his metaphysical analyses. I am kind of into philosophy. And being obsessed by nihilsim and antinatalism both kind of influenced me in a negative way. I was into both a lot. I still sympathize with antinatilism but I have stopped preaching about it.
His philosophy should help against chaos. Some advices were helpful for me. Other advices I completely rejected. He is pretty religious. And I don't like many judeo-christias values. I am more in favor of secular humanism and enlightenment.

I think he is better than other so-called self-help experts. But I think one have to be aware that these people are not perfect. They also want to sell their ideology. I think it is important not to undertake all of their beliefs without questioning them.

Do you have experiences with Jordan Peterson?

You are bringing up some interesting points. If we allow ourselves to forget what specific opinions that Jordan Peterson espouses - they are fairly right-wing - we can probably surmise that he is fulfilling a role in society. To be exact, he's acting as somewhat of a role model for young men who feel lost in the society of today.

So.... yes, someone may disagree with his political beliefs, but the fact remains that he exemplifies the male role model that some men may be missing.

Not to be too specific, but he's basically telling men "you have to become better than you are today".

Last edited:
Reactions: Not_A_Seagull
NoLightRemains

NoLightRemains

I found my light again. Namu Amida Butsu
Sep 26, 2021
My only exposure to Jordan Peterson is rather negative, and I don't care to take life advice from someone who is so biased towards right-wing viewpoints and values. I don't think there's anything wrong with telling young men to try hard and clean their room or whatever, I've just mostly written him off as a right-wing grifter who advocates for all meat diets and went to Russia for experimental benzo withdrawal treatments.

Reactions: western_heart, đ–Ł´ nadia đ–Ł´, chloramine and 1 other person
RainAndSadness

RainAndSadness

Administrator
Jun 12, 2018
Here is the thing. There are a million other self-help experts out there who didn't terminate their own credibility with bullshit political takes that have been debunked for years. And quite honestly, whenever I watch an interview with him, he always seems so angry and miserable. It honestly looks like this dude is doing worse than me, mentally speaking and that says it all.

• Informative
Reactions: 9BBN, Suicidebydeath, Foresight and 6 others
Chinaski

Chinaski

Arthur Scargill appreciator
Sep 1, 2018
Jordan Peterson is the stupid person's idea of a clever person and should not be taken remotely seriously.

Reactions: Foresight, NoLightRemains, western_heart and 5 others
VirtualSnow

VirtualSnow

who knows
May 21, 2022
My opinion might not be the most useful since I'm not really a close follower of it's works, but the last I heard from him was some cheap demagogue-wannabe talk and unnecessary attacks to people, as Julgran pointed out, he's just the new iteration of an ideological guide of some sort.

C

chloramine

Arcanist
Apr 18, 2022
I haven't seen a lot of his stuff, but what I have seen makes me not want to watch more. There's too much sexism (women need children to be fulfilled which- no. Hard pass) and "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" mentality from the bits I have seen.

Reactions: NoLightRemains, western_heart, katagiri83 and 1 other person
Chinaski

Chinaski

Arthur Scargill appreciator
Sep 1, 2018
There's too much sexism (women need children to be fulfilled which- no. Hard pass) and "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" mentality from the bits I have seen.
Me, describing the off topic section of this website.

• Yay!
Reactions: 9BBN, NoLightRemains, deathlamp and 1 other person