Squiddy

Squiddy

Here Lies My Hopes And Dreams
Sep 4, 2019
I feel like it's only a matter of time before I get fired. My supervisor told me again that I'm stocking really slow. If only she knew about the amount of things I accidentally broke and hid, I probably would've been fired by now. I've also bled quite a few times by trying to stock faster and accidentally cutting myself. I also keep forgetting what aisle things are because my short term memory sucks badly even after I've been down the aisle many times or I'll be standing right in front of the thing I have to stock and I still have to pull out my phone in order to see where it goes.

I really can't see me doing any other jobs due to my cognitive issues. I tried the electronics position at my job, but it didn't work out because I couldn't pay enough attention to customers to see what they needed (even if they were talking for a couple of seconds, I would miss it due to my attention issues and poor auditory memory). I also struggle with trying to explain my thoughts and one time, my coworker had to get clarity from a customer because I did a really poor job explaining what the customer wanted. Someone even wrote a review about me saying that it appeared as if I were high when I wasn't (even he could tell something was wrong with me).

This life is a joke and I really don't want to be a part of it anymore. I feel so incompetent and if I get fired and can't find another job, I really don't see a point in living much longer 😔 My mom told me last night if I end it, then it would hurt the family and they would suffer.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Élégie, BorntoLose, Pluto and 24 others
Oblivion Access

Oblivion Access

I don't know anything
Jul 5, 2019
I'm sorry you've having such a rough go of work, the feeling of being incompetent and being judged for it feels fucking horrible, idk how people are expected to just push through it and get better when it's such an agonizing blow to one's self-esteem. It seems like that job might not be a good fit for you since it relies heavily on things you struggle with. Being told basically "think about how I would feel if you ctb" is definitely not helpful, people usually blurt that out because they can't think of anything better to dissuade you from it, definitely feels shit.

I don't know if you want advice, so feel free to ignore: if you end up leaving this job, maybe look into seeking remote data entry work of some sort, something like This maybe? Remote work is usually much more laidback and you can slack a lot or be a bit slower snd still not get fired, it was the only job I could keep longer than a few months, pays well for the low effort and you can fuck around listening to music. If not that specific company there are likely others offering similar positions. Lie about education/work experience if you have to, if you don't think they'll check and you reckon you can handle the work it can help get your foot in the door.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: ð–£´ nadia ð–£´, demuic, lobster salad and 3 others
Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
I'm sorry you've having such a rough go of work, the feeling of being incompetent and being judged for it feels fucking horrible, idk how people are expected to just push through it and get better when it's such an agonizing blow to one's self-esteem. It seems like that job might not be a good fit for you since it relies heavily on things you struggle with. Being told basically "think about how I would feel if you ctb" is definitely not helpful, people usually blurt that out because they can't think of anything better to dissuade you from it, definitely feels shit.

I don't know if you want advice, so feel free to ignore: if you end up leaving this job, maybe look into seeking remote data entry work of some sort, something like This maybe? Remote work is usually much more laidback and you can slack a lot or be a bit slower snd still not get fired, it was the only job I could keep longer than a few months, pays well for the low effort and you can fuck around listening to music. If not that specific company there are likely others offering similar positions. Lie about education/work experience if you have to, if you don't think they'll check and you reckon you can handle the work it can help get your foot in the door.
I hate how my mom made it about herself ignoring how I felt and basically calling me selfish if I went through with it.

I thought about data entry. Does that require experience or a degree?

• Hugs
Reactions: Niko66
Oblivion Access

Oblivion Access

I don't know anything
Jul 5, 2019
I hate how my mom made it about herself ignoring how I felt and basically calling me selfish if I went through with it.

I thought about data entry. Does that require experience or a degree?
Yeah I felt the exact same way when my mother did that as well. So grim how you can be at the brink of what you can deal with and people find a way to make it about themselves. I find some comfort in seeing the patterns and how similar the experiences of SS dwellers tend to be, though it's mostly just sad seeing others suffer just as I do.

I don't think it required either when I got one of those jobs in like late 2017, I don't think it's changed much since it's meant to be relatively easygoing and accessible work. If they do, you can always embellish your qualifications - since they will probably never meet you, bluffing is much easier. If it is needed at all.

• Hugs
Reactions: Squiddy
Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
Yeah I felt the exact same way when my mother did that as well. So grim how you can be at the brink of what you can deal with and people find a way to make it about themselves. I find some comfort in seeing the patterns and how similar the experiences of SS dwellers tend to be, though it's mostly just sad seeing others suffer just as I do.

I don't think it required either when I got one of those jobs in like late 2017, I don't think it's changed much since it's meant to be relatively easygoing and accessible work. If they do, you can always embellish your qualifications - since they will probably never meet you, bluffing is much easier. If it is needed at all.
Yeah it's pretty sad :( Then they're like "oh they will be missed! Why didn't they say anything! They could've talked to me" 🙄

I'll look into it more if I end up getting fired, thanks for the suggestion :)

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I'm sorry that you are going through this. I can imagine that it must be really stressful and tiring. I know that it can be dreadful when everything seems so hopeless. I wish you the best in whatever you decide to do and I hope that you find relief from your suffering.

• Hugs
O

outrider567

Visionary
Apr 5, 2022
I feel like it's only a matter of time before I get fired. My supervisor told me again that I'm stocking really slow. If only she knew about the amount of things I accidentally broke and hid, I probably would've been fired by now. I've also bled quite a few times by trying to stock faster and accidentally cutting myself. I also keep forgetting what aisle things are because my short term memory sucks badly even after I've been down the aisle many times or I'll be standing right in front of the thing I have to stock and I still have to pull out my phone in order to see where it goes.

I really can't see me doing any other jobs due to my cognitive issues. I tried the electronics position at my job, but it didn't work out because I couldn't pay enough attention to customers to see what they needed (even if they were talking for a couple of seconds, I would miss it due to my attention issues and poor auditory memory). I also struggle with trying to explain my thoughts and one time, my coworker had to get clarity from a customer because I did a really poor job explaining what the customer wanted. Someone even wrote a review about me saying that it appeared as if I were high when I wasn't (even he could tell something was wrong with me).

This life is a joke and I really don't want to be a part of it anymore. I feel so incompetent and if I get fired and can't find another job, I really don't see a point in living much longer 😔 My mom told me last night if I end it, then it would hurt the family and they would suffer.
Used to stock decades ago, box cutter straight razor I was using sliced up my index finger,big scar is still there

• Aww..
FireFox

FireFox

Enlightened
Apr 8, 2020

@Squiddy Big virtual hug I am so sorry you are having a difficult time at work🫂 🤗

Don't be hard on yourself having a disability is not easy to live with. When it comes to short term memory loss have you tried maybe getting a small pocket sized notebook where you can write the aisle numbers down. Remember retail/supermarket work is not easy as it is high pressured and then of course the customers are also demanding and difficult.

Does your employer know about your cognitive issues? A lot of people do hide the true extent of their disabilities to their employers because of the stigma of disability as well as discrimination. This is a huge mistake people make because disability is protected under law and disabled people have rights which need to be accommdated

Disability laws: I think you mentioned you live in America. Under American disability laws employers are required to provide reasonable accommodations -- changes to the workplace or job -- to allow employees with disabilities to do their jobs.

The key is finding what are you good at or enjoy doing the most.Are you in school or do you have a degree or what skills do you have? Try looking for work that is suitable to your skills and needs.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Suicidebydeath, Squiddy and katagiri83
Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
@Squiddy Big virtual hug I am so sorry you are having a difficult time at work🫂 🤗

Don't be hard on yourself having a disability is not easy to live with. When it comes to short term memory loss have you tried maybe getting a small pocket sized notebook where you can write the aisle numbers down. Remember retail/supermarket work is not easy as it is high pressured and then of course the customers are also demanding and difficult.

Does your employer know about your cognitive issues? A lot of people do hide the true extent of their disabilities to their employers because of the stigma of disability as well as discrimination. This is a huge mistake people make because disability is protected under law and disabled people have rights which need to be accommdated

Disability laws: I think you mentioned you live in America. Under American disability laws employers are required to provide reasonable accommodations -- changes to the workplace or job -- to allow employees with disabilities to do their jobs.

The key is finding what are you good at or enjoy doing the most.Are you in school or do you have a degree or what skills do you have? Try looking for work that is suitable to your skills and needs.
I thought about marking the boxes with a sharpie for aisle location, but I'll have to ask my supervisor if I can. She did say I was getting a little faster which I guess is good, but I'm still not out of the woods yet.

I haven't disclosed my cognitive issues or other disorders and I'd rather not because I live in an at will state and they could just say I was fired for another reason other than disability.

I do have my associate's degree, but I've forgotten most of what I learned in college. I do want to go back for my bachelor's eventually

• Hugs
Reactions: Suicidebydeath
FireFox

FireFox

Enlightened
Apr 8, 2020
I thought about marking the boxes with a sharpie for aisle location, but I'll have to ask my supervisor if I can. She did say I was getting a little faster which I guess is good, but I'm still not out of the woods yet.

I haven't disclosed my cognitive issues or other disorders and I'd rather not because I live in an at will state and they could just say I was fired for another reason other than disability.

I do have my associate's degree, but I've forgotten most of what I learned in college. I do want to go back for my bachelor's eventually
@Squiddy
OK fair enough

What is your degree in ?

I really hope things work out for you. When I am alone I cry too at my own incompetences and failure to be a real grown up. You are not alone.

• Hugs
Reactions: Suicidebydeath and Squiddy
WorthlessTrash

WorthlessTrash

Worthless
Apr 19, 2022
I am very sorry your superiors are very condescending to you. I have no good advice to offer, but I hope you find peace soon :(

• Hugs
Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
@Squiddy
OK fair enough

What is your degree in ?

I really hope things work out for you. When I am alone I cry too at my own incompetences and failure to be a real grown up. You are not alone.
My degree is just a bunch of general ed classes like psychology, biology, math etc.

I am very sorry your superiors are very condescending to you. I have no good advice to offer, but I hope you find peace soon :(
My supervisor wanted me to stay after to move pallets off the floor, but I don't know how to use a pallet jack which makes me feel even more incompetent because everyone else knows how to, but me plus I'm weak and can't move a bunch of boxes. I'm so upset and angry with myself right now that I want to scream and cry and probably will once I leave (just got done with work). I'm tired of pretending that I'm fine and calm to people around me. I'm angry and sad at my mom for having me and wish she had aborted me. I'm just a mistake. I have so many mental health issues it's not even funny 😔 I hate how my mom basically called me selfish for wanting to ctb and telling me the family will suffer. Well I'm literally suffering in this hell and you want me to stay? Idk maybe once I go to sleep when I get home, my mood will reset, but I feel defeated currently

• Aww..
Reactions: WorthlessTrash
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020

I can relate to your pain a lot. I was fired twice. Okay one time I quit after a week but I just did that in order not to get fired. It was really humiliating and traumatizing for me. I don't have cognitive issues. It rather made me extremely depressed. It was extremely crippling depression. I am really desperate how I can find work. I am so desperate and sad. I know your pain. Life is really unfair.

• Aww..
Reactions: QuietLake and Squiddy
Pain In The Ass

Pain In The Ass

Wizard
Feb 10, 2022

could this be medication related? I noticed my short term memory got really messed up on mirtazapine

• Hugs
SleepyBB

SleepyBB

My Own Reaper
May 15, 2022
I struggle a lot with similar issues and it's because of my ADD/ADHD. Forgetting things easily, distractions, not being able to read situations properly (you mentioned the customer incident). Failure to execute or manage tasks (executive functioning). Poor auditory listening/memorization skills, ect.
It's also very difficult for those with ADHD to feel adequate because though they might actually be very intelligent, they often make mistakes with simple tasks. This leads to a lot of feelings of inadequacy or incompetence. Often there are great levels of shame they can expierence from this. The brain of those with ADD/ADHD simply just work different. I have to be much more kind to myself about it, I might be "smart" but forgetting something I've literally JUST looked at TWICE makes it hard to not feel stupid.
It might be worth it to look into these symptoms. Reddit has a great subreddit for support, and I'm sure the users would be very happy to help answer any questions or give support.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ADHD/
Many people are diagnosed young, but plenty more are diagnosed later in life, there's no time restrictions.

Now as for that pallet jack, YOU'RE IN LUCK :) I found this wonderful video that explains it very well.

Once you get used to them you'll wonder how you were ever confused about it. Just try to avoid the urge to stand on the forks and ride it like a scooter. OSHA will be upset ;) and probably your bosses too LOL.

Take some time and window-job-shop on indeed, some high paying places will take you with no experience simply because you have a degree, even if it's just a gen-ed associates degree. If the job postings make you feel worse because you feel "unqualified" and intimidated by the requirements just remember that they're supposed to be, to weed out people. When in reality all the hiring managers want is someone with "good attendance" (you can lie about if they don't verify, who cares, you need money, f-em), a will to learn new things, someone who wants to grow into a role, and be a great team player. I've heard of loads of people who apply and interview for a position they had no prior experience in and land it because they were so personable in the interview, having confidence goes a long way. Theres plenty of office jobs out there, including remote ones wherein you're doing stuff with Microsoft office, if you took computer classes in high school using these programs-boom-you've got Microsoft office experience. If not, there's plenty of youtube's to watch to get brushed up on the basics.

I've had some technical jobs where I've ran complicated CNC machines, other heavy equipment, some minor retail management, and even some programming (though I sucked at it). I've been working since before I graduated highschool and out of all of the jobs I have had, the one I felt the most incompetent at was actually busing tables at a pub in my hometown when I was <18. There were 45 tables and I was to remember where they all were so I could help get the food out to patrons. I would mess that up all the time. Forgetting where certain tables were. I would be too afraid to ask people if they were finished with their food so I could take their dirty plates and the servers would be upset because they would have to do it for me--meaning they were doing my job for me. They were understandably upset. I felt so incompetent there. Not sure how I managed to stick it out there for almost two years. I found that having a job that was mostly easy stuff, was the worst because when I would consistently make mistakes I felt so stupid all the time and I would constantly talk down to myself.

I'm still struggling but there are ways to improve. Trying to improve is the hardest part, just like how waking up in the morning is half the battle. If I'm totally off base then I'm sorry for making you read this. I hope you can find what it is you need right now. I'm sorry your mom didn't support you well enough when you told her.

• Hugs
FireFox

FireFox

Enlightened
Apr 8, 2020
My degree is just a bunch of general ed classes like psychology, biology, math etc.

My supervisor wanted me to stay after to move pallets off the floor, but I don't know how to use a pallet jack which makes me feel even more incompetent because everyone else knows how to, but me plus I'm weak and can't move a bunch of boxes. I'm so upset and angry with myself right now that I want to scream and cry and probably will once I leave (just got done with work). I'm tired of pretending that I'm fine and calm to people around me. I'm angry and sad at my mom for having me and wish she had aborted me. I'm just a mistake. I have so many mental health issues it's not even funny 😔 I hate how my mom basically called me selfish for wanting to ctb and telling me the family will suffer. Well I'm literally suffering in this hell and you want me to stay? Idk maybe once I go to sleep when I get home, my mood will reset, but I feel defeated currently
@Squiddy

Aww sorry squiddy

Suicide is so complex and majority of the general public and wider society do not understand it. Nobody wants their families and those they love to suffer but the human mind is so cruel. Mental illness can be unbearable to live with. When someone kills themselves everyone sees a person who ended their life but nobody sees the struggle the person fought to stay alive and want their life to change.

• Hugs
Reactions: Suicidebydeath and Squiddy
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
Here's is just another thought. If you really want to find another job, the time to start looking is while you still have a job. Don't wait until you get fired. It will be much easier to land a new job while you are still employed. There are a lot of open positions out there right now and the time to make a change has never been better. Just my two cents.

• Hugs
Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
could this be medication related? I noticed my short term memory got really messed up on mirtazapine
I noticed it when I started Abilify Maintena, but I've been off it for 3 years and it's still there

I struggle a lot with similar issues and it's because of my ADD/ADHD. Forgetting things easily, distractions, not being able to read situations properly (you mentioned the customer incident). Failure to execute or manage tasks (executive functioning). Poor auditory listening/memorization skills, ect.
It's also very difficult for those with ADHD to feel adequate because though they might actually be very intelligent, they often make mistakes with simple tasks. This leads to a lot of feelings of inadequacy or incompetence. Often there are great levels of shame they can expierence from this. The brain of those with ADD/ADHD simply just work different. I have to be much more kind to myself about it, I might be "smart" but forgetting something I've literally JUST looked at TWICE makes it hard to not feel stupid.
It might be worth it to look into these symptoms. Reddit has a great subreddit for support, and I'm sure the users would be very happy to help answer any questions or give support.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ADHD/
Many people are diagnosed young, but plenty more are diagnosed later in life, there's no time restrictions.

Now as for that pallet jack, YOU'RE IN LUCK :) I found this wonderful video that explains it very well.

Once you get used to them you'll wonder how you were ever confused about it. Just try to avoid the urge to stand on the forks and ride it like a scooter. OSHA will be upset ;) and probably your bosses too LOL.

Take some time and window-job-shop on indeed, some high paying places will take you with no experience simply because you have a degree, even if it's just a gen-ed associates degree. If the job postings make you feel worse because you feel "unqualified" and intimidated by the requirements just remember that they're supposed to be, to weed out people. When in reality all the hiring managers want is someone with "good attendance" (you can lie about if they don't verify, who cares, you need money, f-em), a will to learn new things, someone who wants to grow into a role, and be a great team player. I've heard of loads of people who apply and interview for a position they had no prior experience in and land it because they were so personable in the interview, having confidence goes a long way. Theres plenty of office jobs out there, including remote ones wherein you're doing stuff with Microsoft office, if you took computer classes in high school using these programs-boom-you've got Microsoft office experience. If not, there's plenty of youtube's to watch to get brushed up on the basics.

I've had some technical jobs where I've ran complicated CNC machines, other heavy equipment, some minor retail management, and even some programming (though I sucked at it). I've been working since before I graduated highschool and out of all of the jobs I have had, the one I felt the most incompetent at was actually busing tables at a pub in my hometown when I was <18. There were 45 tables and I was to remember where they all were so I could help get the food out to patrons. I would mess that up all the time. Forgetting where certain tables were. I would be too afraid to ask people if they were finished with their food so I could take their dirty plates and the servers would be upset because they would have to do it for me--meaning they were doing my job for me. They were understandably upset. I felt so incompetent there. Not sure how I managed to stick it out there for almost two years. I found that having a job that was mostly easy stuff, was the worst because when I would consistently make mistakes I felt so stupid all the time and I would constantly talk down to myself.

I'm still struggling but there are ways to improve. Trying to improve is the hardest part, just like how waking up in the morning is half the battle. If I'm totally off base then I'm sorry for making you read this. I hope you can find what it is you need right now. I'm sorry your mom didn't support you well enough when you told her.

Thanks for the video :) ADHD sucks and I've already tried adderall XR and Vyvanse and neither worked. The XR I felt focused for 2 days only for about 2 hours and then after it was like taking a sugar pill and I didn't notice a difference being on or off them
@Squiddy

Aww sorry squiddy

Suicide is so complex and majority of the general public and wider society do not understand it. Nobody wants their families and those they love to suffer but the human mind is so cruel. Mental illness can be unbearable to live with. When someone kills themselves everyone sees a person who ended their life but nobody sees the struggle the person fought to stay alive and want their life to change.
True :( I don't want them to be sad if I do decide, but it's painful being alive. Things got worse when I got home as I had to call an ambulance for my grandma as I think she had a 2nd stroke. Had to take a benzo after all of this because my anxiety was high as hell and my hallucinations were starting to show up. Luckily it calmed me down and I was able to fall asleep for a few hours
Here's is just another thought. If you really want to find another job, the time to start looking is while you still have a job. Don't wait until you get fired. It will be much easier to land a new job while you are still employed. There are a lot of open positions out there right now and the time to make a change has never been better. Just my two cents.
I'm already looking, but I'll start applying if my supervisor tells me I'm in danger of being fired for being slow. Luckily I was mostly quick last night, but idk if I can always be quick as some of the boxes are hard to open and finding its location

• Hugs
Reactions: Suicidebydeath and SleepyBB
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
I'm already looking, but I'll start applying if my supervisor tells me I'm in danger of being fired for being slow. Luckily I was mostly quick last night, but idk if I can always be quick as some of the boxes are hard to open and finding its location
Is there any reason you're not applying already?

Pain In The Ass

Pain In The Ass

Wizard
Feb 10, 2022
II'm
I noticed it when I started Abilify Maintena, but I've been off it for 3 years and it's still there
I'm Convinced the mirtazapine effects have been permanent changes, I've never been right since

• Aww..
Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
Is there any reason you're not applying already?
I really don't feel like switching jobs just yet

Have you tried Mnemonics for your memory problems? Here is a link to an article explaining it: https://www.verywellhealth.com/memory-tip-1-keyword-mnemonics-98466.
I'll look into it thanks :)
II'm

I'm Convinced the mirtazapine effects have been permanent changes, I've never been right since
Damn :( I feel like I haven't been right since taking the Abilify

Well-Edited Chaos

Well-Edited Chaos

May 8, 2022
Hey, Squiddy. Sorry things are so rough for you right now.

If you can find a job in a field you care about / are interested in, that can really help. And keep trying with the meds. My doc had to increase my dose til I was almost at the max, but it finally worked. Exercise can work like meds too, so if it's hard for you to see your doc right now, you still have options.

• Hugs
Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
Hey, Squiddy. Sorry things are so rough for you right now.

If you can find a job in a field you care about / are interested in, that can really help. And keep trying with the meds. My doc had to increase my dose til I was almost at the max, but it finally worked. Exercise can work like meds too, so if it's hard for you to see your doc right now, you still have options.
I want to go back to school for computer science and probably will next fall, but for now, I need to make a bit of money to pay bills and escape my controlling mom.

My health care provider tried increasing my Vyvanse, but it didn't work so now we're trying Adderall XR and that's not working either.

Exercise makes me feel better, but no effect on my focus and other symptoms.

Pain In The Ass

Pain In The Ass

Wizard
Feb 10, 2022
I really don't feel like switching jobs just yet

I'll look into it thanks :)

Damn :( I feel like I haven't been right since taking the Abilify
These drugs alter how our CNS work and rewire them, possibly permanently - big pharma is the most evil and corrupt industry on the planet - I think that was one of the most shocking things about the lefty liberal reaction to COVID - now big pharma is the hero of the liberals, the progressives whose job it is to point out injustice, inequality and corruption within society now LOVE and TRUST big pharma! Absolute madness!!!

Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
These drugs alter how our CNS work and rewire them, possibly permanently - big pharma is the most evil and corrupt industry on the planet - I think that was one of the most shocking things about the lefty liberal reaction to COVID - now big pharma is the hero of the liberals, the progressives whose job it is to point out injustice, inequality and corruption within society now LOVE and TRUST big pharma! Absolute madness!!!
I don't think my brain will ever be the same :(