Daxter_87

Daxter_87

If my name is crossed out, hopefully I'm dead.
May 28, 2023
This just seems to be an excuse behind which people hide, apparently everything we say is just an opinion. If I say that child abuse is immoral, that's also an opinion. People aren't allowed to point out facts, no matter the evidence, no matter how much reasoning there is behind, no matter the validity of the arguments.

The problem is that, if someone points out that a person is doing something immoral, and they can prove this to be factual, the person who is doing the immoral act won't want to accept the immoral label. And that's understandable, nobody likes to be called "immoral" or "criminal". But even I accept this label, I am immoral, we all are to some degree. I am a fucking asshole and I could be euthanized tomorrow without issue.

All it takes to accept this is some humility, not too much, just a little bit. I'm probably not very humble, but I am humble enough to recognize that I fucking suck.

Reactions: floralheaddress, demuic, Crono and 2 others
S

subjectivism

Jul 6, 2023
The thing is, it's really just an opinion. We can all agree that child abuse is the definition of immorality (at least I hope so), but how are we going to prove that on a factual basis? The question of whether something is morally right or wrong cannot be answered objectively, as it is the current result of a person's subjective experience. It is also not static, meaning that someone may find something morally reprehensible today that they no longer see as a problem tomorrow based on their experience. If not even for one person the question of morality can always be answered in the same way, how could it be answered for humanity as a whole?
I think in Western culture we have - at the moment - pretty good moral standards, it is considered bad to harm others in any way. But this is not true for other countries or cultures, where it is completely normal to kill someone who commits a small offense. So how do we define who is in the right? We can't. It is pointless to argue about moral standards, because that goes against the nature of morality, which is a highly subjective thing. All we can do is trust our perception, on which our moral standards are based.

"Facts is precisely what there is not, only interpretations." - Nietzsche

Reactions: RedHates and Lostandlooking
AriasRed

AriasRed

Jul 6, 2023
I usually say that when I don't want to waste my time to explain to the other person why they're wrong. Sometimes it isn't worth arguing with a wall.

Daxter_87

Daxter_87

If my name is crossed out, hopefully I'm dead.
May 28, 2023
I usually say that when I don't want to waste my time to explain to the other person why they're wrong. Sometimes it isn't worth arguing with a wall.
It can also be the other way around (not saying that's your case), and that's the point I'm trying to make. Some people say "it's just your opinion" because they don't have any counterargument, so they resort to that phrase as a means to evade the discussion.

AriasRed

AriasRed

Jul 6, 2023
It can also be the other way around (not saying that's your case), and that's the point I'm trying to make. Some people say "it's just your opinion" because they don't have any counterargument, so they resort to that phrase as a means to evade the discussion.
That happens a lot and it isn't worth trying to discuss with people who don't want to listen to the other side, usually.

Reactions: Daxter_87