• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

A

Anonymoushangman

Oct 27, 2022
Hey there everyone! Been thinking about my life and my current circumstances recently and wanted to see if anyone else here felt the same way or had similar experiences.

How is anyone happy? I ask myself this all the time…It can't be just me who feels like life is utterly pointless. For context I'm a college aged male in the US and I'm struggling to find a reason to even go forward with living. It seems that my whole point of existence is just to graduate school and then commit to working a 40hr 9-5 work week until I'm old and tired. I know that this must be the reality for some, if not most people — we need wage-slaves to keep the world spinning— but what part of this equation is even enjoyable? This is all life is for so many people their existence is just to work, have a family and then die. Is that it?

I know everyone wants to be special but the harsh reality is that few of us really are or ever will be. You're just another cog in the machine, replaceable in every way and when you eventually die you will have changed nothing and left little to no impact on anyone besides a select few.

Whats even worse about this is that it feels like nowadays with social media we are constantly taunted by those who have somehow escaped this cycle of working for little to nothing while you have to struggle so you can afford a roof over your head and basic means to live. It fills me with so much jealousy, why are there people who have been blessed with having everything while it seems that I am destined to just be another nothing, a background character, just another average joe.

I almost cant look at social media anymore because it feels like just endless droves of people who are living a life that will never be a reality to me. I will never be that good looking, or that rich, or have that many friends. And I understand that social media isn't completely a real reflection of people's lives but it does give you snapshots into the moments people have and it seems like I will ever have these moments. That dream house I see online will always be a dream, same goes for that dream car, dream romantic partner, or whatever else one might desire. Weirdly I'm not so sure these things would even bring me real long term happiness but I guess I will probably never really know. I know life isn't fair but why not quit if you're losing?

Some things you can't win, you just weren't lucky enough and thats the game, thats life. I'll never look how I would like to, I'll never be able to achieve the dreams I always desired, I'll never be happy with who I am. It just doesn't seem worth it. Is there something I am missing? Does anyone else know because there's no way millions of people can be happy with living like this. To me life just seems to be a continuous stream of failures and disappointments.

• Hugs
Reactions: Hollowman, pthnrdnojvsc, another_creature and 1 other person
W

wounded_warrior

Jul 23, 2024
Life is suffering, as the Buddhists say. As someone who had happiness for decades and lost it I can only say what used to make me happy.

What you're describing sounds like anhedonia to me. Until you can fix that with treatment, then the usual things that create joy aren't going to work.

I used to find happiness in the weird in-between places like finding the perfect pizza, travelling to strange places, meeting new people, reading great books. I don't think happiness is the usual, house/career/family/wealth. In my experience it's found elsewhere.

As someone with severe health problems now the anhedonia is real and I can't find much happiness but I keep looking. Good luck with your search.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoatHerder, pthnrdnojvsc, Praestat_Mori and 2 others
divinemistress36

divinemistress36

Visionary
Jan 1, 2024
Social media is fake and only shows peoples best moments not their sad moments . My therapist's sister is rich and on the surface seems to have it all but she says shes not happy and its all an act. Everyone struggles but some of us struggle a lot more than others

Reactions: GoatHerder, pthnrdnojvsc, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
What kind of changes or pursuits are you interested in exploring?
What activities or experiences give you joy and a sense of purpose?

Reactions: Praestat_Mori and divinemistress36
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
There's more in life but you will have to put effort into it t reach it and you'd also need a little bit of luck but without trying it nothing's gonna happen. Idk how old you are - I mean 'college aged male" - but I think you have a lot of chances after college to try sth and if you don't want to become a wage slave then try to setup sth on your own - if it ultimately fails there's still the option to CTB but you've tried it!