Painless_end

Painless_end

Life is too difficult for me
Oct 11, 2019
I am posting this in offtopic because it is not directly related to suicide discussion.

Although for some it might even be an important reason for considering suicide, depending on the magnitude of the consequences.

So, is there anything that you regret when it comes to your past choices about college majors or picking a suitable job, that makes you feel unhappy and possibly even suicidal ?

• Hugs
Reactions: sserafim, LoiteringClouds and VKVK
fr0ggie

fr0ggie

to live is to fly
Dec 14, 2021
I started with my dream major at a good school for it, had to change schools and move back home because I was getting in trouble with my school over my mental health, specifically going to the hospital. Ended up with some random liberal arts major that is not marketable, or even personally desirable. Just did it because it was the quickest way to get my degree.

Been looking for a job since graduating this year, and I look at jobs for that "dream" career and they all require that major to work, even entry level jobs. All the jobs I apply to just want a higher degree, they don't really care what it is. Some of the jobs I applied to and made it to the interview process seemed enjoyable in a positive, idealistic perspective, but it's nowhere close to where my actual career aspirations are.

I feel like the US, and some other countries, put so much emphasis on your career and having this mentality that you are your career, and your career is your life and vice versa. I feel guilt for my family who helped me throughout college, I feel guilt/shame for even having my major, and I feel even worse about not finding a job right after college and not landing any of my interviews. I truly think I would still feel deep depression even if I had the dream major and dream career, or if I didn't get my degree at all. If you felt hopeless or aimless before college and whatever mistake was made, it's good to keep that perspective of "the grass is greener" put away. If you had your dream major or career, you would likely feel challenges like criticism, competition, not getting pay raises, etc more intensely because of how much emphasis you put on it. Maybe your mistake was a relief from this, who is to say in the present.

• Hugs
Reactions: sserafim, BojackHorseman, VKVK and 1 other person
F

filthyrottendirty

Experienced
Feb 20, 2021
wasting so much time being indecisive

Reactions: sserafim and Someonewhotypes
VKVK

VKVK

Oct 18, 2021
So, is there anything that you regret when it comes to your past choices about college majors or picking a suitable job, that makes you feel unhappy and possibly even suicidal ?
Yes. I failed and there's no way back and I am stuck here wishing it hadn't happened so I'd be far away from my current home that I live in w/ one of my parents.

I was already fucked in the head, depressed and suicidal when it happened though, so it's difficult to really blame myself for it too much, it is what it is. Basically I went nuts/insane and couldn't go to college anymore. Lost scholarship and (any hope of) a bright future and structured daily routine. It really fucked my mind having failed so hard, even if it was all a bubble waiting to burst since middle school.

Hope you have/had better luck

Reactions: sserafim and fr0ggie
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Not really. Sometimes I maybe wish I could have stuck with my animation degree but I know fully well that I would have collapsed under the pressure no matter what, it was just a matter of when. I also know that if I hadn't even initiated the major then I would have always regretted not taking it either because I am an idiot and unhappy no matter what career I'm doing.

Reactions: sserafim
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Would have failed no matter what I chose (extreme need for girlfriend + autism, lethal combination).

BojackHorseman

BojackHorseman

The View From Halfway Down
Feb 8, 2023
I am posting this in offtopic because it is not directly related to suicide discussion.

Although for some it might even be an important reason for considering suicide, depending on the magnitude of the consequences.

OH. MY. GOD. YES.
Long story, but my college major was picked by the government because they paid for it. I know I'm lucky and should be grateful and not complain.... but I fucking HATE it. I felt like I was making progress with my mental health and stability, but this job has been such a trigger and I feel myself going backwards. I'm treated by absolute GARBAGE by the other departments. I admit, our entire department is treated like shit by the other departments, but I seem to be the one most bothered by it. So many people here act like the abuse is just normal for this job no matter where you work, and they somehow manage to ignore it. That depresses the fuck outta me, that it's gonna be this way no matter where I go. But I make good money and I have bills to pay and a paralyzed dog to care and pay for. I know I shouldn't complain because I'm lucky I got a free degree for a well paying job, but please understand me when I say it's awful. I get yelled at by other departments just for doing my job according to procedure. Some of my fellow employees let other departments break the rules, but I dont, so when I'm here running the department alone and enforce the rules they loose their fucking shit and yell at me. Peoples lives literally depend on me, and them, doing our jobs correctly. It's not the kind of job where I can just let people fuck shit up and sit back and laugh, people could die if I did. I have severe anxiety and depression from severe emotional and physical abuse, I cannot handle being yelled at when I did nothing wrong. I even had someone smack stuff out of my hands, and someone jerk a phone away i was holding up with my shoulder. I tell the bosses, but they just brush it off by telling me it's just how we're treated. They even commented once that maybe I need medication. One even said I seemed a bit "rain man" at times, for those who don't get the movie reference, it's insinuating that I'm on the autism spectrum. I have actually wondered that myself. I don't understand people's actions sometimes. I don't socialize well. But that could probably also be from the anxiety. I'm just not made for this job. They act like I'm being ridiculous and over reacting when I complain. I finally went to HR and they were pretty upset and are supposedly having discussions with the other departments about how they treat and speak to us.

I dont fucking know what to do with my life. I'm considering going back to the college and asking what well paying jobs in the area are actually hiring. Or going back to get a higher degree in what I already do. A higher degree will let me have more options of where I am qualified to work.

Sorry to rant so much. I'm just so upset right now. I literally just made a huge mistake at work and it's made me sick to my stomach. The first shift person coming in behind be is a fucking ass, and I know he's gonna be mean to me about it and act like I'm incompetent. It wasn't incompetence, it was a freak accident. I know I shouldn't care what he thinks of me, i just can't handle him at all. He has been so mean to me in the past when I was new. He literally refused to train me and just let me fuck up, and like I said before, our job is life/death.

I like the actual work I do. If I could just do the work and not have to interact with anyone, I'd be content.

Sorry to rant. Thanks for listening.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: sserafim and LoiteringClouds
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Yeah, I chose the wrong major

sadwriter

sadwriter

Hanging in there
Aug 29, 2023
I made some choices about my college career that I for sure really regret. As to whether or not I'll "never recover" from them, only time will tell...

Reactions: sserafim
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Yes and no really. I probably chose the wrong degree initially. I ended up doing a second BA. That one was kind of stupid too to be honest- both were creative. I probably should have learnt a trade and done an apprenticeship. That said- I don't know it would have made me any happier. I think- if you have a creative drive, you feel miserable if you aren't pursuing it. So- if I hadn't tried, I likely always would have been thinking- 'what if'. Honestly- I'm not a big one for regret. I think we make the best decisions we can at the time. We don't have the benefit of hindsight. I've made plenty of choices that didn't work out but ultimately- it just means making other choices further down the line. Stuff made sense at the time!