Mana

Mana

Aug 3, 2020
Has there been any recorded death where someone took cyanide and we somehow know they were in pain? I know there are a lot of anecdotes both ways, but to me that doesn't make any sense. How can some people die peacefully and others die in agony from the same substance?? If you look at any other method either everyone dies with little pain(SN, carbon monoxide) or everyone dies in agony(setting yourself on fire). I guess if you hang yourself you could fuck it up and not restrict the carotids. But it seems to me that when it comes to cyanide it's not a matter of people not taking enough or taking too much and suffering. Apparently some people suffer and others don't for no reason. How does that make sense?

Reactions: Homecoming and namemanthedeadman
Deleted member 19654

Deleted member 19654

Working towards recovery.
Jul 9, 2020
There does seem to be conflicting views on how painful it is. Can't find any documented evidence of what it feels like from someone who's been through it. What cyanide does is it stops your cells getting oxygen so doesn't that mean you essentially suffocate to death? Symptoms are dizziness, headaches and shortness of breath because your body isn't getting enough oxygen. It can't be pleasant to have the feeling of not being able to breath. But CO symptoms seem to be similar to cyanide so I'm not sure.

Reactions: Cronos, Homecoming and namemanthedeadman
namemanthedeadman

namemanthedeadman

Still Breathing :(
Jul 28, 2018
If I'm not mistaken, cyanide looks painful because it removes your ability to use oxygen, so you are essentially forced to suffocate for a solid 2 minutes. Which I imagine some people can take with grace while others... Well if you've seen a video of someone dying by cyanide it does not look pretty, lots of choking and foaming in the mouth. But judging by the fact it's a very common choice of suicide by war criminals, it seems to be quite effective, if you're worried about being found, or messing up in some fashion.

Reactions: Homecoming
A

Aap

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
Yes, there is evidence it certainly can be painful. Descriptions from gas cambers (Nazi and US) indicate it can be very unpleasant. Oral cyanide has accounts of both being painful or relatively peaceful. The reasons for variability can be many. Among them would be individual variability, speed to incapacitation, and uncertainty regarding exactly when consciousness is lost.

Reactions: Homecoming and autumnal
E

ebt88

Student
Jun 11, 2020
I've also read about mixed reports: some people faint instantly others struggle. They also say some of the more visual symptoms occur once you passed out. The positive is you only need a small amount (1-2 gr) and survival is almost impossible.

autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020
Has there been any recorded death where someone took cyanide and we somehow know they were in pain? I know there are a lot of anecdotes both ways, but to me that doesn't make any sense. How can some people die peacefully and others die in agony from the same substance?? If you look at any other method either everyone dies with little pain(SN, carbon monoxide) or everyone dies in agony(setting yourself on fire). I guess if you hang yourself you could fuck it up and not restrict the carotids. But it seems to me that when it comes to cyanide it's not a matter of people not taking enough or taking too much and suffering. Apparently some people suffer and others don't for no reason. How does that make sense?

Read the PPH chapter on it for a good overview and comparison of painfulness with other methods.

Mana

Mana

Aug 3, 2020
Read the PPH chapter on it for a good overview and comparison of painfulness with other methods.
I read that and the chapter from Humphry's book.
Yes, there is evidence it certainly can be painful. Descriptions from gas cambers (Nazi and US) indicate it can be very unpleasant. Oral cyanide has accounts of both being painful or relatively peaceful. The reasons for variability can be many. Among them would be individual variability, speed to incapacitation, and uncertainty regarding exactly when consciousness is lost.
If some people did die peacefully then I am interested if there is a reliable way to have a peaceful death with cyanide. Is it the dosage? Genetics?

Reactions: autumnal
ut0pia1992

ut0pia1992

Dec 1, 2020
I am looking for someone who knows about LIQUID kcn.
I might get a hold of 50ml arriving in a few days.
Yet I know solubility is different powder vs liquid.
Can anyone tell me anything at all regarding this topic?