suffering

suffering

Too p*ssy to end it, too suicidal to leave
Aug 17, 2018
I am not homeless, but I'm kinda living paycheck to paycheck. I am lucky enough to have a good job and good health, so I might dodge the bullet. The thought of homelessness always hunts me. 'What if'...
I used to say that if shits hits the fan I will just ctb.. Now I now I do not have that it takes for it. So I am hanging by a thread.
What puzzles me is the idealized situation of homelessness in early history. Diogenes supposedly lived a very good live, mocked the king, teased people and was very satisfied with his condition. I wouldn't mind living like a hobo carelessly in some Greek town where it's never cold, where people would give me food and leave me alone, while I utter cynical witty stuff. But what I learn nowadays about the homeless is always stories of abuse, theft, sickness, violence, etc. I wonder:
1. Is Diogenes more myth than reality? If he's real, was it the system that protected him, like guards on the street etc, making is cynicism a bit ironic?
2. Is there any place on earth left for modern day Diogeneses to go to?

I would at least like to know in the back of my head that there is a plan B, that I'm not completely screwed if I lose my job/health, that there is a place where I can travel with my last dollars, put down my backpack and live without fearing violence, starvation or tragedy.

Reactions: Escargot Shorts, puppy9 and Corraled
RememberWhatUCameFor

RememberWhatUCameFor

dont cry for me im already dead
Nov 20, 2018
what i heard is that you should stay away from other homeless people

• Aww..
Reactions: suffering
S

Shamana

Warlock
May 31, 2019
I think if you have a good job and good health, you should really just carry on making sure you don't become homeless. It's a can of worms you don't want to open.

Reactions: puppy9
Eurus

Eurus

Everything Must Cease.
Sep 30, 2019
And if your job isn't enough to afford food AND housing?
I think if you have a good job and good health, you should really just carry on making sure you don't become homeless. It's a can of worms you don't want to open.

Reactions: suffering
N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
I'm grateful for my experiences of homelessness because they showed me, for me, money and housing were wants rather than needs. Quite different for people with complex healthcare needs, or children to care for, I know. But for myself. I did not have to keep disrespectful people in my life because of financial dependence. I could sleep outside, I could beg or steal, I could forage, I could be inventive. Everyone's mileage will vary. There are people who have good experiences with vehicle living, some have formed community caravans and gatherings for 'rubbertramps' as it were. Figuring out what one needs - a storage unit? a kitchen? a full bath? do I need to *own* these things or just have *access* to them?

Of course creative, resourceful lifestyles don't solve the problem of robber barons monopolizing the ownership of land, compelling us to sell our labor for a fraction of the value it creates, and privatizing resources that we could hold and manage as commons - but they can give some of us breathing room, and we can find each other.

Reactions: Escargot Shorts