• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
Extreme Poverty

The World Bank defines extreme poverty as living on less than $2.15 a day (adjusted for purchasing power parity).

Approximately 719 million people were living in extreme poverty in 2020, representing about 9.2% of the global population .

Moderate Poverty

Moderate poverty is often defined as living on less than $3.20 or $5.50 a day.

Around 24.1% of the global population (about 1.9 billion people) lived on less than $3.20 a day in 2018.
About 43.6% of the global population (approximately 3.4 billion people) lived on less than $5.50 a day in 2018.

While a substantial portion of the world's population lives in moderate poverty (defined as living on less than $5.50 a day), it is not the majority but a significant minority (around 43.6%). Therefore, it is not accurate to say that most of the world's people live in moderate poverty, but it is a considerable portion.

The majority of the world stopped living in moderate poverty gradually over the past few decades, with significant progress occurring from the 1980s to the 2010s. This progress is due to a combination of economic growth, international development efforts, and improvements in governance and policy. However, while substantial gains have been made, challenges remain, particularly in certain regions and among vulnerable populations.

While precise figures for the 1980s are difficult to pinpoint, it's clear that a substantial portion of the global population lived in moderate poverty during that decade. The significant progress made since then in reducing poverty, particularly with the help of economic growth and international development efforts, has led to a notable decrease in the percentage of people living in moderate poverty.

Global Poverty in 1980s:
According to historical estimates from the World Bank, around 52% of the global population lived below the $1.90 a day extreme poverty line in 1981.

• Informative
Reactions: kunikuzushi, AbusedInnocent, Moniker and 5 others
K

Kavka

Jun 11, 2024
Of course it is. If you include the suffering of all (non-human) animals, both in the wild and from human exploitation, it's a no-brainer.

Reactions: ijustwishtodie, NoPointOfReturning, sserafim and 2 others
W

wounded_warrior

Jul 23, 2024
I think much of the inhabited world is. The places where nature is in charge and the way it balances itself are stunning.

Reactions: 333s, ijustwishtodie, sserafim and 1 other person
acey

acey

Above an abyss
Sep 14, 2023
What about less than say... $10 a day? Can be enough in some countries but I bet the quality of life would still be very bad, not to mention access to healthcare. Probably more than 50% can't afford it, so yes.

Reactions: ijustwishtodie, sserafim, NoPointOfReturning and 1 other person
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
It's the most terrible, horrific place to me, I'd know I'd never wish to exist no matter what. The amount of endless agony and cruelty in this reality is simply beyond comprehension, I find it so incredibly tragic how existing beings have to suffer so much in this existence so futile where they are just slowly dying and waiting to die anyway.

Reactions: ijustwishtodie, kunikuzushi, GoatHerder and 2 others
NoPointOfReturning

NoPointOfReturning

Jul 24, 2024
Absolutely, 99% of your life is decided at birth and it's unfair. You can't control if you'll one day get schizophrenia and go to jail for life, yet society will blame you for it as if you had a choice.

Reactions: ijustwishtodie, GoatHerder, Darkover and 1 other person
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
Yes, without question. Mostly a shithole with a few redeeming characteristics that show themselves every now and then.

Reactions: ijustwishtodie, sserafim and Darkover
beingnice

beingnice

Jul 23, 2024
yeah, its hard to find joy in this life sometimes but its out there somewhere buried by all of the nuisances and shortcomings of life

Reactions: ijustwishtodie, sserafim and Darkover
VeryShy

VeryShy

Disabled due to autism and schizophrenia
Jun 21, 2024
Yes or no? I say yes.

Reactions: ijustwishtodie, GoatHerder and Darkover
trappedinthislife

trappedinthislife

May 13, 2024
We are living in hell no question needed. The poverty statistics shocks me and even middle class people in many countries arent much better off, and dont get me started on corruption and what not

Reactions: ijustwishtodie, Darkover and enduringwinter
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
Yes, this world is a shit hole. It always will be. This world is cruel

Reactions: sserafim
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
Extreme Poverty

The World Bank defines extreme poverty as living on less than $2.15 a day (adjusted for purchasing power parity).

Approximately 719 million people were living in extreme poverty in 2020, representing about 9.2% of the global population .

Moderate Poverty

Moderate poverty is often defined as living on less than $3.20 or $5.50 a day.

Around 24.1% of the global population (about 1.9 billion people) lived on less than $3.20 a day in 2018.
About 43.6% of the global population (approximately 3.4 billion people) lived on less than $5.50 a day in 2018.

While a substantial portion of the world's population lives in moderate poverty (defined as living on less than $5.50 a day), it is not the majority but a significant minority (around 43.6%). Therefore, it is not accurate to say that most of the world's people live in moderate poverty, but it is a considerable portion.

The majority of the world stopped living in moderate poverty gradually over the past few decades, with significant progress occurring from the 1980s to the 2010s. This progress is due to a combination of economic growth, international development efforts, and improvements in governance and policy. However, while substantial gains have been made, challenges remain, particularly in certain regions and among vulnerable populations.

While precise figures for the 1980s are difficult to pinpoint, it's clear that a substantial portion of the global population lived in moderate poverty during that decade. The significant progress made since then in reducing poverty, particularly with the help of economic growth and international development efforts, has led to a notable decrease in the percentage of people living in moderate poverty.

Global Poverty in 1980s:
According to historical estimates from the World Bank, around 52% of the global population lived below the $1.90 a day extreme poverty line in 1981.
Technology and productivity certainly explain most of our current living standing

In most senses, yes, the average person lives better today than the wealthiest kings did 1000 years ago, but not if you wanted things or services that required skilled hand labor (butler, inlaid carpentry). We can compare what we utilize (live music versus music via electronics).

A short well researched book showing the challenges of growth, inequality and class over 300 years. Lots of challenges ahead

https://www.hup.harvard.edu/books/9780674273559

Capital and labor in combination = growth of GDP

So combinations with technology allow you to reallocate labor from agriculture. Note high population countries like China and India started with lots of labor and simple technology (textiles) to grow / export and employ more people lifting many out of poverty.

USA had abundance of resources to grow and apply technology (Industrial Revolution) and not as much labor (need immigration)

What is your metric of measure? Simply global poverty rates?