Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
The question of whether a life without intimacy is worth living is deeply personal and can evoke different answers depending on individual perspectives, values, and experiences. However, it's important to explore the nuances of what intimacy means and the role it plays in a fulfilling life.

The Importance of Intimacy
Intimacy is a fundamental aspect of human connection. It encompasses not just sexual intimacy but also emotional, intellectual, and spiritual connections with others. These connections can provide a sense of belonging, validation, and emotional support, which are crucial for mental and emotional well-being. A lack of intimacy, particularly over an extended period, can lead to feelings of loneliness, isolation, and even depression. Human beings are inherently social creatures, and most people thrive on close, meaningful relationships that include some form of intimacy.

Redefining Intimacy
While sexual intimacy is one important form of connection, it is not the only way to experience closeness and connection with others. Emotional intimacy, where people feel understood, accepted, and valued by those around them, can be equally, if not more, fulfilling. Friendships, family bonds, and even connections with pets can provide a level of intimacy that sustains people in deeply meaningful ways.

For some, living without sexual intimacy might feel like a significant loss, while others might find fulfillment in other forms of intimacy or in pursuits that provide a sense of purpose and meaning. It's essential to recognize that intimacy is multifaceted, and different people prioritize different types of connections.

Life Beyond Intimacy
A life without intimacy, particularly sexual intimacy, can still hold value and meaning. People find purpose and fulfillment in many different areas—career achievements, creative expression, spiritual growth, community involvement, and personal hobbies. These pursuits can provide a sense of accomplishment, joy, and connection to the world, even in the absence of intimate relationships.

Moreover, some individuals may choose to live a life without sexual intimacy due to personal or religious beliefs, health reasons, or past experiences. These individuals often find meaning and contentment through other avenues and may not see the absence of sexual intimacy as a detriment to their overall well-being.

Coping with the Absence of Intimacy
For those who struggle with the absence of intimacy, it can be helpful to seek ways to foster connection in other areas of life. Building strong friendships, engaging in community activities, or pursuing passions can provide a sense of belonging and fulfillment. Therapy or counseling can also be valuable in exploring these feelings, finding new ways to connect with others, and addressing any underlying issues that contribute to a sense of isolation.

Conclusion
The worth of a life without intimacy is not a question with a one-size-fits-all answer. While intimacy, in its various forms, is a vital aspect of human connection, a life can still hold immense value and meaning without it. The key lies in finding purpose, connection, and fulfillment in other areas, and in understanding that the absence of one form of intimacy does not negate the potential for a rich and rewarding life.

• Informative
Reactions: AnxiousLlama and Forever Sleep
lamargue

lamargue

sleepwalker
Jun 5, 2024
if a person without intimacy perceive that their lives have meaning, i can't make any judgement that would negate that. i lack intimacy in my own life, and that contributes to how worthless it seems to me, but others can certainly find meaning in that which i cannot. but the search for meaning through intimacy is not something which can inherently be overcome in some people, depending how reliant they are on social practices, especially in our current zeitgeist

Reactions: Ichigo and Darkover
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I agree- it's largely down to how the person themselves feels about it. Some people feel loneliness more accutely than others.

Personally, I don't do too badly alone. It's maybe 8 months since I hugged anyone. Maybe since I actually had any physical contact at all. I have a very good imaginiation though! I cuddle my pillow and imagine being cuddled a lot. Lol. Kind of pathetic I know but, at least it's something.

I'll put a question to you though... Would you prefer to have a relationship with elements of abuse or neglect to it or, having nothing? Not to say it's either or of course. But, I think that's why sometimes people avoid relying on others or forming relationships. Simply just being let down in itself can feel so hurtful too. Doesn't even have to be as extreme as fearing abuse. I think I'd prefer having nothing rather than a bad relationship or friendship.

In any case though, I think everything in life requires effort and risk. If you want a particular thing, you have to go out and find ways to make it happen but also take on board the risks. People can be fickle. They may have different motives than genuine friendship and connection. The whole experience could end up making us feel worse about ourselves if we can't find people to relate to. If they reject or later abandon us.

Reactions: Jarni
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
Would you prefer to have a relationship with elements of abuse or neglect to it or, having nothing?
prefer to have a relationship then nothing at all even if it means having some level of abuse or neglect at least i would have someone who cares for me

• Hugs
Reactions: purpleuser, Jarni and Forever Sleep
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
prefer to have a relationship then nothing at all even if it means having some level of abuse or neglect at least i would have someone who cares for me

Really? I think this is what makes me realise I'm really not a people person. Maybe I've just gotten used to being alone though.

Do you try to meet people/ form relationships may I ask?

You've inspired me to start a poll though... I do love polls on here.

Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
Do you try to meet people/ form relationships may I ask?
no i don't bother to try talking to girls i am very quiet person don't like engaging in conversation shy when it comes to girls

i have never been out on a date

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
In my opinion, absolutely not.

However, maybe that would change once I actually got to experience it. That doesn't stop me from craving it unfortunately.

N

NaturalSelection

Feb 20, 2023
Idk how to properly answer this but you should absolutly not listen to females in the first place considering how these "%$*^&&!" are not able to understand shit about that subject.
Don't listen to normie either. You have to decide this for yourself as the notion of "worth" depends on how you personally value things anyways. It depends on how much suffering it can cause you and how much copium you get from your personal copes.

• Hmph!
Reactions: Ichigo
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
Intimacy means nothing to me. Regardless of whether I receive intimacy or not, I still wish to be dead in the exact same way

Reactions: LifeQuitter
Plentiful_Despair

Plentiful_Despair

Experienced
Aug 23, 2024
Life itself is not worth living, regardless of intimacy.

• Informative
Reactions: ijustwishtodie and LifeQuitter
purpleuser

purpleuser

Deep Purple
Sep 3, 2024
I am by nature a very lonely person and in fact have no real friends. Nevertheless, I realized one simple thought. It's better to be a melancholy loner than to jump around trying to get someone to like you. Let's be realistic, we are not handsome in our masses and relationships are worth some effort. Intimacy can be salable and a lot of fun. I'm sure a lot of people blow their money on call girls and live their lives without a care in the world.

Reactions: ijustwishtodie