L

lifegoeson

Jan 16, 2021
In my case I have parents who love and support me and I am very grateful for that. But deep inside me I still want to ctb . I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels conflicted. I believe it is your choice as it is your life but there's no denying those left behind will be hurt . What do you think ?

Reactions: Bazzinga, Nicothe13th, it's_all_a_game and 3 others
R

Raindryer

Jan 8, 2021
Yes, but I think it's okay to be selfish in that regard. None of us could consent to being born, so I think it's only fair that we at least get to choose when we want to leave.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, jakaranda3, NodusTollens and 13 others
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Most society sees it as a selfish act, like we decided to run away, but don't listen to society, ask yourself if that is the path you want to follow. Sending you a hug.

• Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, jakaranda3, Sprite_Geist and 6 others
L

lifegoeson

Jan 16, 2021
Most society sees it as a selfish act, like we decided to run away, but don't listen to society, ask yourself if that is the path you want to follow. Sending you a hug.
Thanks for the reply . It sounds silly but the idea of death just seems peaceful to me the more I've thought about it. Not having to deal with any more problems whatever they may be ever.

Reactions: M84u, jakaranda3, Nicothe13th and 1 other person
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Thanks for the reply . It sounds silly but the idea of death just seems peaceful to me the more I've thought about it. Not having to deal with any more problems whatever they may be ever.
No need to thank me, however that's a decision you have to think very well.

Reactions: wordsonscreen
S

SuicidallyCurious

Enlightened
Dec 20, 2020
If you stay alive you are guaranteed to consume earths limited natural resources unless you are one of the rare people who live pre industrial lifestyle. By doing this you are contributing to future economic destabilization and resource shortages , global warming , possibly enabling a repressive regime with your tax dollars whether it be your local or federal government where you live.

By committing CTB you remove yourself from these equations. That's just a basic fact - by being gone you aren't a part of those problems anymore. So in this lens - it's just a basic fact that suicide isn't a totally selfish act ! It may harm those close to you but by being gone you are doing a world of good in these other phenomenon.

should you CTB because of these factors ? I've always thought that it was a bad idea to CTB due to these long term risks to everyone else your existence poses. Many people think differently

• Love
Reactions: pompey1999, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, jakaranda3 and 7 others
TheSomebody

TheSomebody

Sep 28, 2020
just because an action is selfish doesn't necessarily mean it's immoral

Reactions: NodusTollens, Spiral, wordsonscreen and 7 others
D

Deleted member 23885

Experienced
Nov 18, 2020
Life is suffering, Buddha said so. So, while suicide is not necessarily inevitable, it is quite understandable.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Spiral and pthnrdnojvsc
D

DrWh033

Student
Dec 23, 2020
Yes it is. Regardless sometimes it is inevitable.

fedupsoul

fedupsoul

Confused
Jan 19, 2021
Aren't we brought into this world as a result of totally selfish reasons? So even if it is selfish in a way it's not wrong imo I think my parents wanted me because my mom was too bored and wanted a purpose to do stuff. So then she had a distraction after I was born by having to take care of me it's kinda selfish to even bear children in a way

Reactions: Sprite_Geist, jakaka and TheSomebody
Donk

Donk

Useless since day 1
Jan 3, 2020
I mean it's definitely not selfless cause you will hurting your love ones but I look at it as a necessary evil if you no longer desire to live. Most actions may seem altruistic on the surface but there's always a give and take. ie donating money to a charity gives the donor a sense of compassion in return.

Reactions: NodusTollens
happiestman

happiestman

May 8, 2020
It depends on reason for suicide.. if someone does ctb as a shortcut to escape from sufferings then probably its a selfish act, a person who has dedicated his/her life for family or society may not be able to do it. However how can you call euthanasia a selfish act.

Reactions: Spiral
NegativeSymptoms

NegativeSymptoms

trying to recover
Sep 4, 2019
Yes, it is selfish, but sometimes it's the only way to stop suffering.

Reactions: NodusTollens, Spiral and wordsonscreen
TheSonOfTheArcher

TheSonOfTheArcher

Jan 18, 2021
Suicide is only selfish if people rely on you to live or would be damaged beyond repair by your death. Suicide is just the rational reaction to the imposition of birth, it's not selfish if you believe in bodily autonomy.

Reactions: Spiral
Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
It kind of is but birth is also a selfish act so it evens out

Reactions: Spiral and wordsonscreen
*Hope*

*Hope*

Student
Jan 18, 2021
Sadly it's selfish, but it's not fair that we are forced to suffer either. Most of us on this forum are alive because we have family members that love us and we don't want to ruin their lives. Living is a price to pay for our parent's happiness

Reactions: Emilia1012, jakaranda3 and hopelessyearning
W

WaitingForTheBusInTh

Student
Nov 18, 2020
Maybe. But I believe it's also selfish of others to want to keep you around when you are clearly suffering and dont want to be there anymore

Reactions: NegativeSymptoms, GreenTree, jakaranda3 and 4 others
N

Nicothe13th

Student
Jan 6, 2021
I prefer the term Euthanasia rather than Suicide, it portrays the issue for many far more realistically.

I don't think it's selfish for someone to end suffering that's lead them to the point of despair and desperation that those on the edge know so well.

Reactions: blahblahhh
wordsonscreen

wordsonscreen

Peanuts aren't nuts! They're seeds!
Jan 21, 2021
It kind of is but birth is also a selfish act so it evens out
Nymph, I love your profile picture and I love that show <3 I literally always get distracted by it: it is such a mood!!

• Love
Reactions: Nymph
Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
Nymph, I love your profile picture and I love that show <3 I literally always get distracted by it: it is such a mood!!
Aw thanks. I love that show too

• Love
Spiral

Spiral

Experienced
Jan 22, 2021
Any act we do that benefits only ourselves is a selfish act, that includes breathing, eating, pooping, a large percentage of our thoughts and yes also Ctb. Not all selfish acts are wrong *shrugs* literally everyone is out for themselves so there is no point forcing ourselves to live like some kind of martyr

• Love
Reactions: wordsonscreen, UseItOrLoseIt and NodusTollens
Bazzinga

Bazzinga

Lost
Dec 25, 2020
I would like to think of suicide more like both selfish and selfless, selfish by hurting loved ones, because from ctbing the pain usually doesn't end it passes on to another, but selfless in a way because my existence is going to just bring more pain and hurt the ones I love, and I think it's for the best, but if you kinda weigh it down it's more towards the selfless side

Reactions: wordsonscreen and UseItOrLoseIt
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
I'm suicidal mostly due to my parents giving me this genetic profile and from them not making me strong by using good parenting methods. They are way stronger than me but failed to pass on what little strength they have to me. It's always just "money doesn't matter", "we have each other", "who cares about the future we live here and now", and so on. I am very weak. Looks like I'm too weak to get to die, even.

• Hugs
Reactions: b&w, wordsonscreen, NodusTollens and 1 other person
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
Not as selfish as denying someone the possibility of ending their life, when it's evident they are in constant pain.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, wordsonscreen and NodusTollens
BitterlyAlive_

BitterlyAlive_

-
Dec 8, 2020
I mean, suicide is the most selfish decision you can make. Whether that makes it right or wrong is up to you. It's good to hear that you're thinking about other people, mate. :hug:

It's not an easy decision to make. Although it would really suck to hurt others, especially your parents, would you be able to/truly want to stay alive to try and prevent that pain? That's ultimately up to you.

mirko

mirko

ah
Nov 19, 2020
One could argue that birthing a human being, who never asked to be born in the first place and forcing them to experience pain and struggles just to be happy is a selfish act. As I see suicide bring balance as you take back what was stole from you.

Trisolaris

Trisolaris

Arcanist
Dec 11, 2018
It is inevitable that those who love you will be hurt. I don't think it's reason enough to stay alive and suffer just so as not to hurt them.

Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
No it is a personal choice. Would you say that abortion is selfish because some people get upset by it? No, in fact we are told the opposite: that it is no one elses business what a woman does with her body - even if they are "affected" by it. This same principle and argument should apply to suicide in my opinion.

To try and put it another way: suicide is generally viewed as selfish because it hurts others emotionally. At the same time, though, many things that we do can cause pain to others, and yet no one considers them selfish. For example: if someone has romantic feelings for you, and you reject them, then that will cause them pain. So does that make rejection selfish? Do you have to reciprocate - are they entitled to your love?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game and wordsonscreen
L

lostmyself

Jan 28, 2021
I think suicide is more so a selfish act if one has children. However suicide often times is to escape the pain and mental suffering from within. So yes maybe if they didn't try to get an form of help and ctb with children it is selfish.

S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
Everything we do is a selfish act. Feeding yourself food is selfish, providing shelter for you is selfish. Suicide is a selfish act as well. Everyone is selfish because the selfless ones are already dead.

• Aww..
Reactions: Bagger, wordsonscreen and Sprite_Geist