ohtwoait

ohtwoait

actual cyborg
Jan 20, 2023
I just got fired from my third job in as many months(same reason as always, anxiety/depression being too strong for me to leave the house and getting fired for a no call/no show) and I'm starting to think I actually need professional help, but I don't understand any of this stuff. Like, what is the difference between a therapist, counselor, psychiatrist, psychologist, etc? What do any of these people actually do and how is it supposed to be helpful? Why is my insurance provider's doctor-finding tool so confusing? Do I really just pick a doctor at random from this list and hope it works out? Why couldn't they be bothered to hire a single UX designer? (that one's just me griping)

jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
A good therapist will help you through your problems and give you tools and techniques to solve them. A psychiatrist will give you medication. A psychologist will help analyze your thoughts, migh like a therapist but they might be more well trained. Find ones with good reviews. You might need to try several medications and several therapists to find ones that work well for you. If you haven't done so it's definitely worth it

Upvote 0
ohtwoait

ohtwoait

actual cyborg
Jan 20, 2023
A good therapist will help you through your problems and give you tools and techniques to solve them. A psychiatrist will give you medication. A psychologist will help analyze your thoughts, migh like a therapist but they might be more well trained. Find ones with good reviews. You might need to try several medications and several therapists to find ones that work well for you. If you haven't done so it's definitely worth it
Okay but like, how do you find reviews? My insurance provider's custom search thing sucks and the first third-party one that I tried came up with a total of 2 results in my city and they were just the same creepy-looking guy at two different offices. What gives? Is that normal?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
Okay but like, how do you find reviews? My insurance provider's custom search thing sucks and the first third-party one that I tried came up with a total of 2 results and they were just the same creepy-looking guy at two different offices. What gives? Is that normal?
Yeah that's not normal. Google their names and look for reviews on other sites, and look for good qualifications

Upvote 0
CantWait2D1E

CantWait2D1E

Archaon, Herald of the Apocalypse
Dec 24, 2022
It's never worked for me, and I've gone through multiple therapists and been on more medications than I can keep track of. That doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a try though.

The problem with mental health care is that it isn't an exact science. You can't psychoanalyze someone and know exactly what they're condition is and the necessary steps to heal them. If you break a leg, for example, the doctors will know exactly what procedures they need to do to get the leg healed and get you walking again, guaranteed. That is not a thing in the mental health world. Therapy, medication works for some people, for others it doesn't. My most recent psychiatrist admitted to me that she was just guessing what medication to prescribe me, hoping at least one of them i respond well to. And I've always hated therapy, it always felt like a chore and I would dread my appointment days. Didn't ever feel I learnt much from it or benefited in any way. That's why recently I've given up on "professional" help and I'm just trying to find my peace my own way, on my own terms. Hasn't really been going well for me but hey at least I'm not wasting my parents money anymore.

Reactions: thx1138
Upvote 0