N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I try to circumvent the most polarizing political takes. I try to avoid political heated takes.

I read newspapers a lot. And I watch a lot of media outlets. Some also alternative media. Today I read an article where a very famous German intellectual said journalism is declining. Something similar said DFW (an American writer). The focus is too much on opinion and not facts. A common criticism I read is journalists are sheep. Many copy takes from other outlets. They are not courageous and rather follow political agendas. Furthermore they are allied with the eilte and protect them rather than criticizing them.

The quality of the content is declining. Due to the internet age. Everything has to be fast, quick, get a lot of views, likes etc. It is more important to get attention on social media than making a nuanced research/statement.

Moreover the media outlets lose a lot of money. In the internet age the consumers want information for free. Personally I recognized there is a huge quality gap between free and pay-wall content. I am very sad when I live in poverty and cannot pay anymore for pay-wall content. Maybe I will ctb anyway before poverty hits. Due to the lack of money there are less investments in quality content. Journalism is something with which it is hard to make huge profits. Some media outlets lose their independency because of that. Am I right Mr. Bezos? Am I allowed to write that Mr. Bezos? (As if Jeff Bezos read threads in a suicide forum)

I think some decades ago the media outlets in the US were less partisan. The aim was objectivity. DFW wrote about that. Now all over the world we experience a huge polarization. We hate each other for different political or moral beliefs. We don't listen to each other. And if we do we do not take the other person serious.

I am really not sure how accurate this anaylsis is. The problem is I am quite young. I did not read newpspaper articles 20-40 years ago. I cannot really compare it with my own knowledge. I read about it. But where do I read from it? Often in the media. Can someoone say how this bias or fallacy is called? Is this a circular reasoning?

Do you think journalism is declining? Maybe someone who is older can have a more educated stance of the changes which happened in the past?

Last edited:
Reactions: katagiri83
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
I try to circumvent tthe most polarizing political takes. I try to avoid political heated takes.

I read newspapers a lot. And I watch a lot of media outlets. Some also alternative media. Today I read an article where a very famous German intellectual said journalism is declining. Something similar said DFW (an American writer). The focus is too much on opinion and not facts. A common criticism I read is journalists are sheep. Many copy takes from other outlets. They are not courageous and rather follow political agendas. Furthermore they are allied with the eilte and protect them rather than criticizing them.

The quality of the content is declining. Due to the internet age. Everything has to be fast, quick, get a lot of views, likes etc. It is more important to get attention on social media than making a nuanced research/statement.

Moreover the media outlets lose a lot of money. In the internet age the consumers want information for free. Personally I recognized there is a huge quality gap between free and pay-wall content. I am very sad when I live in poverty and cannot pay anymore for pay-wall content. Maybe I will ctb anyway before poverty hits. Due to the lack of money there are less investments in quality content. Journalism is something with which it is hard to make huge profits. Some media outlets lose their independency because of that. Am I right Mr. Bezos? Am I allowed to write that Mr. Bezos? (As if Jeff Bezos read threads in a suicide forums)

I think some decades ago the media outlets in the US were less partisan. The aim was objectivety. DFW wrote about that. Now all over the world we experience a huge polarization. We hate each other for different political or moral beliefs. We don't listen to each other. And if we do we do not take the other person serious.

I am really not sure how accurate this anaylsis is. The problem is I am quite young. I did not read newpspaer articles 20-40 years ago. I cannot really compare it with my own knowledge. I read about it. But where do I read from it? Often in the media. Can someoone say how this bias or fallacy is called? Is this a cricular reasoning?

Do you think journalism is declining? Maybe someone who is older can have a more educated stance of the changes which happened in the past?

Journalistic integrity will probably decrease at the same rate that the political polarization increases, all the while the left- and right-wing outlets will throw shade at each other. Journalists and news reporters aren't much better than children playing in a sandbox.

Reactions: katagiri83
hungry_ghost

hungry_ghost

جهاد
Feb 21, 2022
Journalism today does not aim to enlighten anyone to the truth, but is a form of social engineering intended to mold and imprison the minds of the collective into a perception that serves the agenda of the "controllers".

• Informative
Reactions: Julgran