• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I had a dispute with a right wing extreme acquaintance of mine. I destroyed him while debating politics. But on the other issue IQ in combination with eugenics and racism I had no chance. He talked a lot about statistics and I have no clue about it. I had statistics at college. People told me I was very good in it. However, I truely hated it and I already forgot most of the content of the course. Thinking so much about numbers and statistics increased my depression a lot. But for science knowledge about statistics is a necessity. I will always remain a fraud and faker because of it. Is it a necessity to understand statistics in-depth to talk in a sophisticated way about the world? It is a way to test our hypotheses, theories and narratives about the world.

I would be curious about the answer of @DarkRange55

Reactions: Praestat_Mori and Forever Sleep
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
People who are good at statistics are also really good at manipulating true and factual results into whatever opinions or beliefs they already hold.

Reactions: landslide2, delora, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 2 others
enduringwinter

enduringwinter

flower, water
Jun 20, 2024
Any stat can be disputed with simple criticism by anyone who learned it. Politics is the domain of social intelligence.

KillingPain267

KillingPain267

Warlock
Apr 15, 2024
Yes, nobody is actually a statistic. And the stuff about IQ and race is nonsense since the traditional races are arbitrary categories. It's meaningless to argue about. Like arguing if guys wearing green shirts have higher IQ scores than guys wearing striped shirts. Even if true, who cares. We all die anyway, the sun will explode one day.

strawberrydino

strawberrydino

Sep 17, 2023
If you do not understand statistics, you should definitly look at the source itself. Where did they pull the statistic from? From who? Is it an original study or from an article quoting it? Is the study peer-reviewed? How many people did that study actually look into? In politics statistcs are so manipulated to fit the person's bias almost no statistic is actually reliable. It's not to saw statistics is not important, but most political extremists twist the actual statistics.

You don't really intense statistics knowledge to understand politics, just basics of checking sources. Also know that just because a source looks like it supports something does not always mean the cause is what they say it is: example. (sorry I am a massive yapper)

Reactions: delora, innominesatanas44 and Forever Sleep
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
I had a dispute with a right wing extreme acquaintance of mine. I destroyed him while debating politics. But on the other issue IQ in combination with eugenics and racism I had no chance. He talked a lot about statistics and I have no clue about it. I had statistics at college. People told me I was very good in it. However, I truely hated it and I already forgot most of the content of the course. Thinking so much about numbers and statistics increased my depression a lot. But for science knowledge about statistics is a necessity. I will always remain a fraud and faker because of it. Is it a necessity to understand statistics in-depth to talk in a sophisticated way about the world? It is a way to test our hypotheses, theories and narratives about the world.

Of course, statistics are useful but can be vary misleading. plenty of people with little knowledge of statistics talk in sophisticated ways about the world (and a few of them are even writing what they say …).
yes, using an understanding of statistics is one of the ways to test our hypotheses etc.

A friend of mine has a masters degree in statistical design for studies and can give you chapter and verse. I can ask her for her 2 cents if you're interested?

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Of course, statistics are useful but can be vary misleading. plenty of people with little knowledge of statistics talk in sophisticated ways about the world (and a few of them are even writing what they say …).
yes, using an understanding of statistics is one of the ways to test our hypotheses etc.

A friend of mine has a masters degree in statistical design for studies and can give you chapter and verse. I can ask her for her 2 cents if you're interested?
Well I have waited for this response the whole day. First of all thank you. I also feel better after reading it.
Tbh I think my right-wing extreme acquaintance cannot be taken serious. The political theory these people communicate is utter bullshit. It was a house of cards with barely any logic. I suspect the statistics of this group is of a similar quality. Many official sources call them pseudoscientists. They are edgelords who dedicate their whole life to trigger the libs. I just feel bad because I could not take down their bullshit claims about statistics.

I think this is their cult leader:

AbusedInnocent

AbusedInnocent

Student
Apr 5, 2024
Real-world data will always be more accurate than baseless subjective opinions.

Of course statistics can be biased or inaccurate but still better than the alternatives.

I'm not saying that politics is purely scientific though, ethics is still subjective so we can't even agree what an ideal world should look like so we can work towards it, also some things just can't be measured or tested, try proving objectively whether an optimistic/pessimistic world view is more realistic.

Reactions: cryone and Agon321
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
Well I have waited for this response the whole day. First of all thank you. I also feel better after reading it.
Tbh I think my right-wing extreme acquaintance cannot be taken serious. The political theory these people communicate is utter bullshit. It was a house of cards with barely any logic. I suspect the statistics of this group is of a similar quality. Many official sources call them pseudoscientists. They are edgelords who dedicate their whole life to trigger the libs. I just feel bad because I could not take down their bullshit claims about statistics.

I think this is their cult leader:

Statistics is a tool but it can definitely be misleading for many reasons. The way you present it, context, how the study was conducted especially when for example, when pulling people how they present a question, sample size, validity, peer-reviewed, does it ignore other statistics, etc.

I forgot the exact saying, but it's something like numbers don't lie but people do.

• Informative
Reactions: cryone, noname223 and delora
Agon321

Agon321

I use google translate
Aug 21, 2023
Statistics are very important.
If someone does not take them into account at all, then that person is not reliable.

The funny problem is that you can use the same statistic to support or disprove two different claims.
It all comes down to how you phrase the question and answer.

Manipulation with statistics is VERY easy.
For example, if you use some statistics to present your views, your words automatically become more true in the eyes of other people, even if the statistics are completely wrong.
It's just rare that someone checks whether the statistics are true.
Pure psychology.

Everyone is being manipulated this way: you, me and everyone on and off this forum.
This is one of the easiest ways to manipulate individuals and society.

I consider statistics to be very important, and I also know that it is a double-edged sword.

• Informative
Reactions: noname223
delora

delora

Lola (she/her)
Jun 5, 2023
As others said, some people are just good at manipulating data to back up their own claims. Confirmation bias and all that.

I'll go as far as to say that quite a few people have no idea what they're talking about, but have just learned how to speak in such a way that makes them seem credible or "more intelligent," deceiving others into thinking they have a good point even if it might be utter bullshit. And I don't know if that's the case here but as far as I have observed, those types are usually the ones misusing statistics the most, quoting inaccurate or biased studies, etc.

As someone who's not argumentative and has little energy to dispend on political debates and the like, I don't have much knowledge in that regard. But if you enjoy debating, don't let their (possibly feigned) "knowledge" in statistics discourage you — maybe look up/ask for their sources, you might find something to dismantle their arguments.

• Love
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023

You can manipulate data to make a pattern appear.
It is extremely difficult to find true randomness in anything other than QM and math.

• Informative
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
You can manipulate data to make a pattern appear.
It is extremely difficult to find true randomness in anything other than QM and math.
Also apophenia. Thats the word I couldn't recall. It's about patternicity — our tendency to see shapes, patterns, and connections in random things.
This is closely related to confirmation bias — which is our tendency to seek out information that confirms our existing beliefs, even while we ignore other rational explanations.

Remember correlation does not necessarily equal causation

• Informative
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
This graph was created by a Harvard Law student to illustrate a point about drawing conclusions from correlation…

IMG 3877

It's old and I've seen this before but my friend reminded me, he's a PhD candidate in statistical genomics.