depthss

depthss

SOON
Dec 12, 2023
I've done self harm for awhile, I'm starting to get into more drastic stuff. I want to know if there's a good way to properly treat deep wounds by yourself, I don't wanna get found out doing this stuff by going to a doctor

E

Edistrying

Jul 22, 2024
What kind of wounds? Maybe if you tell us we can help you.

E

Edistrying

Jul 22, 2024
My English is not the best but I'll try to explain.
Most wounds can heal without the help of a doctor, the only problem will be the scars.

Deep wounds (including muscles/tendons) are the most difficult to heal, they will take weeks without stitches and are more likely to become infected, cover them with clean gauze and wash them with soap and water twice a day.
You can put microporous paper tape on the skin to try to join those areas and make the scar not so big and thus avoid the time it takes to heal.
As a tip, avoid cutting yourself in areas of tension (like your thighs) or flexion.

Reactions: depthss
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
Dude, just go to the hospital or, better yet, don't cut deep or maybe try giving up SH altogether.

They won't force you into a psych ward for SH. That's typically reserved for specific cases, such as patients showing signs of psychosis and those who admit to being actively suicidal. They might have you talk to a psychiatrist and a crisis worker and then they'll have someone come to treat the wound and that's it.

Treating deep cuts at home is risky since once you get past the dermis layer the risk for infection significantly goes up. Deeper cuts take longer to heal and require a lot of aftercare. Things, like steri strips and butterfly bandages, while better than nothing, likely won't provide you with the same results as getting stitches. Along with that, depending on how deep you cut there is also the risk of you giving yourself a permanent injury.

If you do still decide to do it, though I'd personally recommend against it, you first stop the bleeding (you can use a gauze pad to apply pressure). Do not use toilet paper or anything that easily breaks apart to stop the bleeding as bits of it can get into the wound, leading to infection. Distilled water or saline solution can be used to flush the wound. When applying the antiseptic, do not apply it directly onto the wound, apply it around the edges. Also, DO NOT USE HYDROGEN PEROXIDE! Hydrogen peroxide can also kill off healthy tissue, leading to the healing period being prolonged and the chances of infection thus increasing. You can also use an antibiotics ointment, again, applying it to the edges. Afterwards, you want to cover it using a gauze pad secure it in place using medical tape and then wrap it in bandages.

This google doc goes more in-depth on this kind of stuff. You can also look at this post from r/MadeofStyrofoam for some additional information, too. I personally would recommend against cutting deeper. SH is a poor coping mechanism and deeper cuts are just going to cause you more stress and suffering rather than do anything to actually alleviate it. At the bare minimum, if you are going to this then I stress that you go to the hospital afterwards to get stitches instead of diying this. Again, you likely won't get hospitalized so if that's what worries you then you don't need to stress out about it.

Reactions: depthss
B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023
I've done self harm for awhile, I'm starting to get into more drastic stuff. I want to know if there's a good way to properly treat deep wounds by yourself, I don't wanna get found out doing this stuff by going to a doctor
The issue with SH is that the mechanism is similar to narcotics you will constantly need more to get the same hit. You build up a tolerance but you body doesn't. Meaning you will continue getting more and more drastic until you do need to go to a doctor. Even if you can properly treat it. Infection risk becomes huge. Muscle/tendon injury becomes an issue. Things like anemia become a problem maybe. These aren't likely to take your life either just make it more and more miserable. If you get an infection it will be a really shitty death and frankly modern science is pretty good. Unless you get MRSA then that is a whole different and even shittier ball of wax.

I don't SH my life is shitty enough as is. My life is just one big gaping wound. So I can't exactly emphasize but I'd recommend you find a different outlook. Best case scenario you have a lot of scars you'll have to awkwardly explain one day.

Reactions: EvisceratedJester