E

eashanm

God
Feb 22, 2023
So I've read in some Indian texts and books that yogis know and practice the ability to leave their body consciously. That is death through their will.

Does anyone know about this? If yes, any tips on how can I do that?

That would be my ideal way to CTB

• Love
  • Hugs
  • Yay!
Reactions: M.O.N, Forever Sleep, Letmedienow and 4 others
L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
I am a reformed hippie. I've been to India twice. I've had tantric sex once. I used to meditate before mental illness stripped everything from me. I don't believe anyone does this. Gurus have feet of clay. If it is possible it would require a very advanced level of yoga. So you would need to practice yoga to a very advanced level. Then let us know if it's possible. You could be Suicide Guru.

But (and this is a sad story) if you practice Kundalini yoga and then jump off Beachy Head you will be dead:

• Wow
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, not-2-b-the-answer and betternever2havbeen
DeathSleep

DeathSleep

Unstable Potato
May 25, 2023
That would be ideal!
Willing yourself to death sounds like what I've read a psychogenic death is. Where people just lose hope and die a short time later. For no medical reason. It's an interesting concept. I recommend searching about it. Doesn't really sound like a viable option tho.

• Aww..
Reactions: Letmedienow and not-2-b-the-answer
B

betternever2havbeen

Paragon
Jun 19, 2022
@LittleJem Poor woman! I can imagine myself getting involved in something like that when I was younger. I remember reading about the dangers of Kundalini yoga unless you are very experienced, no idea how true it is but definitely not stuff to be playing around with.

• Hugs
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer
E

eashanm

God
Feb 22, 2023
Anyone know? Apparently it is called Mahasamadhi.

C

conflagration

Student
Jul 29, 2022
In Tibetan buddhism and Dzogchen there is practice called phowa where you transfer your consciousness into Pure Land (kind of buddhist heaven).
Lama Thubten Yeshe taught on the subject of phowa that "We have to choose the right time to transfer our consciousness; we're not allowed to do it at the wrong time because that becomes suicide."[2]

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Have any gurus willed themselves to death? I imagine their psychological routine is accompanied with not eating or drinking if they have. It feels more likely that that is what would kill them.

We leave our bodies consciously when we sleep I suppose- or- go under anaesthetic- but I'm not sure whether it's possible to do it permanently without the help of other things.

E

eashanm

God
Feb 22, 2023
Have any gurus willed themselves to death? I imagine their psychological routine is accompanied with not eating or drinking if they have. It feels more likely that that is what would kill them.

We leave our bodies consciously when we sleep I suppose- or- go under anaesthetic- but I'm not sure whether it's possible to do it permanently without the help of other things.

Yes, that's what I'm doubtful about. There have been claims over the years that many yogis willed themselves to death and exitted their bodies conciously.

For example:

"On 4 July 1902 (the day of his death),[166] Vivekananda awoke early, went to the monastery at Belur Math and meditated for three hours. At 7:00 pm Vivekananda went to his room, asking not to be disturbed;[167] he died at 9:20 p.m. while meditating. According to his disciples, Vivekananda attained mahasamādhi"

But, rupture of blood vessel is also suspected as a cause of death. So, I'm unsure whether he left the body conciously or through an injury,

Referenece

Also, Sadhguru claims his wife underwent mahasamadhi.

• Informative
Reactions: Forever Sleep
Decided98

Decided98

“All life is a near death experience.”
Dec 27, 2022
So I've read in some Indian texts and books that yogis know and practice the ability to leave their body consciously. That is death through their will.

Does anyone know about this? If yes, any tips on how can I do that?

That would be my ideal way to CTB
Out of body experience?

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Yes, that's what I'm doubtful about. There have been claims over the years that many yogis willed themselves to death and exitted their bodies conciously.

For example:

"On 4 July 1902 (the day of his death),[166] Vivekananda awoke early, went to the monastery at Belur Math and meditated for three hours. At 7:00 pm Vivekananda went to his room, asking not to be disturbed;[167] he died at 9:20 p.m. while meditating. According to his disciples, Vivekananda attained mahasamādhi"

But, rupture of blood vessel is also suspected as a cause of death. So, I'm unsure whether he left the body conciously or through an injury,

Referenece

Also, Sadhguru claims his wife underwent mahasamadhi.

Interesting. It's difficult to say really. I imagine a spiritual group is very keen to believe that a master has achieved mahasamadhi.

I didn't know about this case and only just read a little now. It seemed like he wasn't well at all though- the article cited 31 ailments including: liver and kidney disease, malaria, diabetes, heart ailments and asthma.

Maybe I'm being cynical but- this is a religious man. Would it really be that unusual for him to ask to not be disturbed while he meditated? Supposedly he claimed he would not live beyond 40 but with 31 ailments- some very serious- that would likely be a doctors prediction I imagine also.

I do actually think someone already frail/ weakened with ill health could be more susceptible to experiencing the physical affects of stress/ grief. I think elderly couples can die of a broken heart if one dies leaving the other alone. So- who knows? Maybe he did will himself to death but it sounds like his body was already weak. The opening in the crown of his head sounds a bit suspicious.