Pengwin

Pengwin

Nov 9, 2020
Romanticisation of depression is pretty common, particularly in art, be it music, literature or paintings. In that same vein, it is pretty common among depressed people. In the 70's, there were some explanations on this that revolved around people "weighing themselves down" to "escape the values of the world". You know, when the disease was called melancholy.

That is, before it was commonly acknowledged that depression has a biochemical component, as well as an environmental component.

I believe that a big part of why people do feel like they "should be sad" is due to the romanticisation and environmental factors. It is type of a mechanism to justify that low mood is appropriate response to a situation.

Basically, there are two types of depressions: feature-specific and non-specific. In the case of the former, there are some life events that are seen as the cause of depression. If someone finds themselves "not depressed" while the cause still exists (e.g., loss of a loved one), they might want to justify their initial reaction (e.g., sadness) to the cause by, well, forcing themselves to be sad again.

In the case of the latter, there is no specific cause, but likely a more biochemically drawn response. But again, if one finds themselves happy, they might want to justify their behavior during a depressive bout by forcing themselves to feel that way again. That the way they feel and behave is normal.

Combine these with depression wrecking havoc on voluntary agency of a person, it is very easy to get stuck in a type of vicious circle where depressive episodes are self-fulfilling justifications to having been depressed in the first place.

On a personal note, I have grown to dislike the art that romanticizes depression, when at one time I found it almost soothing.

Reactions: Mizuri, inhale_exhale, sadworld and 3 others
muffin222

muffin222

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2020
I don't know about being addicted to depression, but I do believe that melancholy and depression can gradually shape into a person's comfort zone, wherein people come to view depression almost like a reliable friend, and they feel reluctant or afraid to seek treatment because they don't know what's waiting for them on the other side.

Reactions: All washed up, Pengwin, Deleted member 14573 and 1 other person
k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
I don't know about being addicted to depression, but I do believe that melancholy and depression can gradually shape into a person's comfort zone, wherein people come to view depression almost like a reliable friend, and they feel reluctant or afraid to seek treatment because they don't know what's waiting for them on the other side.
I was going to make a similar observation. After feeling a certain way long enough, that kind of becomes your normal.

I experience it most drastically with my anxiety. I'm stressed and anxious pretty much constantly, usually with no trigger. It's been like this for longer than I can remember. Very rarely, I realize I'm not anxious, and it feels so wrong. I can't trust the feeling or let myself enjoy it. I'm too busy being stressed about not being stressed! It just feels dangerous and like something horrible is about to happen. Ultimately, it feeds the anxiety and everything starts again. And I'm miserable, but I also kind of feel better because I'm back in familiar territory.

A therapist explained to me that it's because that's become my comfort zone after feeling this way for so long. I know what to expect by feeling like this, and I know how to respond to it and how to compensate for it. It's not that I enjoy living on the edge of a panic attack, because I definitely don't. But it's familiar now, and I can't deal well with the unknown. Even if the unknown is actually awesome.

Reactions: inhale_exhale, sadworld and muffin222
VivaldiBR

VivaldiBR

Experienced
Oct 4, 2020
the brain synapses of a person with pre-depression enter in a vicious circle because of the bad thoughts and emotions, and you became addicted to those feelings. Negativity, sadness, hopelessness, accumulation and so on.

The neurotransmitters slowly decrease until you need external resources to replace them. And thats when you are diagnosed with depression.

Reactions: All washed up, sadworld and Pengwin
L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
Mine is genetic/trauma/autism. While trauma may have shaped my brain circuits to be wired for fear/anxiety/misery, I am not going to say it is a habit that I have chosen or am addicted to...it's just how my brain is programmed. Not my fault. Not even my abusive mother's fault - because it is not her fault she was born with a mental illness that made her abusive. No-one's fault - it's just nature. And it sucks!

There are people who say you can reshape your brain and your responses. Right now, I've taken so many pills today I could get serotonin syndrome! But I am feeling fuzzy. So that is something.

Reactions: All washed up and sadworld
k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
From what little I know about the brain, it's much easier to have negative thoughts and emotions than positive ones. I don't fully remember the science behind it, but it's something like the neuropathways are shorter and easier. It takes a lot more effort to focus on good stuff, and our brains kinda like to be lazy. That's why trauma sticks so well, and the good stuff fades really quickly.